Squeeky front pulleys or bearing on engine.

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Bluemill
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 4WD, automatic, 6cd changer

We have a 2001 Pathfinder with the 3.5 L engine. The engine makes squeeks, like a bad bearing when you first start it, first 5 minutes, then it seems to subside. I had taken off all belts last summer, and felt each bearing. The tensioner pulley on the A/C side seemed to have a bad bearing. Replaced it and for a few months all was quiet. Then it returned, so I figured it must be the other tensioner pulley. Replaced it, and the noise is still there before warm up. Could it be the Water Pump? Temperature seems fine, and coolant loss is minimal, if any at all. The truck has 106,225 miles.

The belts do not do a screech when you first start in the cold, -very, initial startup, just as it ignites. It used to do this, and I just kept tightening the belt, until I think I burned out the bearings in the tensioners.

I have replaced both belts as well, but not recently. Any rule of thumb on how tight? Like, to be able to just twist it 90 degrees with a lot of effort?

Does any of this strike a common chord? Or if I'm way off, what should I check?

Best,

Bluemill

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Well it'll be tough for anyone online to diagnose this. Bad bearings typically have more friction in them though, so you can try and feel them after the car has been running for a while, and see if one is hotter than another...

Bluemill
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 4WD, automatic, 6cd changer

The more I think about it, the more I think it may be looser belts, but I won't be tightening them again- because then I'll be climbing into that vicoius circle again. My daughter had taken that rig this a.m. and when she returned, it sounded as quiet as an Infiniti, purrrrring away. What else sounds like a bad bearing initially, and then warms up- the sound goes away. If it were a bad bearing, I would think it would get worse with heat.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”