Squealing Brakes

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
InfinitiKat
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q60 coupe - Exterior color: Venetian Ruby

The brakes on my 2014 Q60 Infiniti squeal, especially when backing up. When I've taken my Infiniti to the dealer and Les Schwab they say there's nothing wrong and that there's 70-80% of the brakes left. Have you had this problem of squealing brakes when backing up yet the mechanics say there's nothing wrong with the brakes?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Some brakes make more noise than others, some make more brake dust that gets on the rims than others, etc. You've likely had the brakes done at some point before now, since you have so much pad left and the car is a few years old. Did you cut corners on the pad material that time? Maybe the rotors weren't resurfaced or the pads weren't bedded very well. OEM pads should be quiet and aftermarket depends, but tend to be quiet with quality brands that aren't a race application. Race pads get kind of noisy. Backups tend to squeak a bit with any car since the rotation is reversed, but not bad, just a tiny bit every now and then. Brake inspectors know to look for glazed rotors pad shims and all that stuff, so maybe just changing the pad material will quiet things down for you.

InfinitiKat
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q60 coupe - Exterior color: Venetian Ruby

centralcoaster33, thanks for your thoughtful reply to my question. I'm thinking maybe the point you make about brake dust may have some relevance. After I've had the brakes inspected, the squealing of the brakes goes away for a while. Maybe the mechanics have wiped off the brake dust that has built up. Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to give me a good answer.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Sure, happy roads this new year!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

90% of all brake squealing is due to the right angle at the leading edge of the pad, remove it with an angle like more expensive brake pads do and the noise disappears. The trick can be done on shoes as well as pads. If in reverse only then chamfer the opposite trailing edge which becomes the lead edge when the wheel direction changes.

The right angle at end of pad lets the pad dig in to vibrate at low brake pedal pressures as the pad follows the disc or drum and then is forced to let go when the slack runs out. That happening over and over at ultra high frequency is what makes the squeal. Put an angle on pad end and then the pad cannot get enough friction to do that. Look at some fancy brake pads, have the parts store pull them out and look at them and duplicate that angle on a bench grinder at home.

The problem showed up when asbestos disappeared from the pads, the materials used now are much closer to the metal of the disc in hardness and tend to make noise because of that.

Did it to my Versa which made noise in reverse and problem gone instantly. Early Ford Focus were some of the noisiest cars in say a slow roll traffic jam and hideously notorious for brake noise, that trick shuts them right up.

Archangele
Car: 2004 350Z, 2014 Q60S

I have a 2014 Q60S and it does the same thing. This car has 9,000 miles on it and it's original pads.
I had the exact same problem with my 2004 350Z. In both cases, the cars
had original equipment Nissan pads. On the 350Z, I removed the pads, put that anti squealing
stuff on the back of the brake pads and it quieted it down a bit. Unfortunately
the only cure was to replace both the rotors and pads at the same time. I did this
in the Z and the problem has not come back in some 30K miles since I did that.
I just got the Q60S and like your's, my pads are like brand new. I find
it only does this when cold. Once I drive it a little and apply the brakes a couple times
it becomes quiet. My Q60 has the 4 piston calipers but it is the same with a standard
Journey Q60 or a 350 or 370Z. I was told by one local 'tuner' that if you
bevel the lead and trailing edge of the pads this will stop the issue. I have not
tried that yet. Bottom line is that it is just annoying and not dangerous as long as the
pads are good.

LuckyLuke
Car: G37s - HKS Exhaust - R2C Performance Intake

My brakes were squealing too. I replaced it with StopTech brake pads, squealing went away.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Simply replacing the pads in the rear solved it on my Q50. With the Akebono calipers it's easy to do.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”