Squealing belts

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
sciguy6
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

I have a 93 J and the belt is squealing again after the 2nd time I tightened it. How far can you go before too much is too much to tighten it. I am using old school it feels good enough by pushing on it method. It's such a strange set up to tighten it from what I'm used to.

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

Actually managed to use a belt tension gauge on two of three new belts. After reading about a number of broken water pumps/fans on this site, am more conscious of not over-tightening belts. Belts that have slipped for a while are probably glazed and would need to be tighter than normal. It's best to install new belts, tensioning them correctly from the git-go and promptly snugging them up a bit if they do ever begin to squeal.
Last edited by GerryO on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Fsm shows the proper deflection on the longest stretch of each belt if Im not mistaken.
Thats what I went by and tightened up each belt a tad after a few weeks to make up for initial stretch.
Only about one turn on each adjuster.

NASCARLANCE
Car: 2011 Juke SL AWD
1995 j30t
1988 Hardbody

I had a problem with squealing belts. I could not get them quiet to save my life. I would tighten them and in a couple of weeks there they would go again. My engine also just seemed louder than it did when I first got the car. I ordered OEM belts and it solved my squeling problem and made my engine as quiet as it used to be. From now on I will only use OEM belts.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Very good point.
The ole saying..
"You get what what you pay for"
Is true blue..

sciguy6
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

I've owned it since March and my son has been using it more. I know the belt is not OEM but it does look new (Goodyear). If it gets worse, may have to go OEM as he's taking it to school with him and he's not the car guy I am. He did say it doesn't do it if he starts the car with his foot "OFF" the brake. Do you think the vacuum from the booster puts enough strain to cause the slippage. I just don't see the connection.

NASCARLANCE
Car: 2011 Juke SL AWD
1995 j30t
1988 Hardbody

I went through Goodyear and Gates belts before I bought the OEM belts. I think it was the Goodyear that just kept stretching every time that I would tighten it.
I would have saved money, and a lot of embarrassment in parking lots, if I had just bought the OEM belts in the first place.

macgiver

Any additional power drain , even the application of brake-lights(R+L +middle "cyclops") is enough to produce a very heavy
"torque loading" on the comparatively small diameter alternator pulley . You'll see this w/any of these systems "ON" upon starting a J30 - headlights , stereo , a/c (a/c is usually delayed couple of sec.'s) ,wipers , windows , seats - especially for they are "always energized" and adj seats at or unison w/starting , and even a foot on the "always energized BRAKES.You usually notice if you quickly bring up RPM's to over 1300 - squealing begins to stop due to "physics" - for at a higher rpm - the hundreds of watts of power needed (in the case of a too loose belt = simply idling & all systems off!) less torque to the belt is needed , remember Torque x RPM = Power. J30 notorious ,go & get gator , or just brand new quality belt &CLEAN ALL incidental pullys the fan / alt /damper which it rides . G.T.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”