Squealing AFTER brake pad replacement

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Hello
Yesterday, I replaced the brake shoes on my 2015 Rogue SL with ceramic shoes from Advance Auto Parts; it was a truly simple ordeal.

Today, I hear a light squealing whenever I first touch the brake pedal. As I press down farther, the noise disappear.

Did I do something wrong possibly?

macgiver

If you put a very light film of brake grease on the BACKS of pad surfaces , only where they touch the caliper , small amount around the END of piston cup - reduces this tendency to squeal in addition to / more importantly that "bedding" , the brake in process of a few times running 50 mph and medium - harder - then medium pedal pressure til 5 mph and let up , increase intensity slightly 3rd and 4th time , do 5+ runs altogether.
BUT wait and see after 300++ miles utilizing "deliberate" pedal applications , initial med-hard , then ease off to a stop. Maybe they take a good "set" probably anyway??

nabril

macgiver wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 am
If you put a very light film of brake grease on the BACKS of pad surfaces , only where they touch the caliper , small amount around the END of piston cup - reduces this tendency to squeal in addition to / more importantly that "bedding" , the brake in process of a few times running 50 mph and medium - harder - then medium pedal pressure til 5 mph and let up , increase intensity slightly 3rd and 4th time , do 5+ runs altogether.
BUT wait and see after 300++ miles utilizing "deliberate" pedal applications , initial med-hard , then ease off to a stop. Maybe they take a good "set" probably anyway??
thank you macgiver. I put grease on the back of the pad surfaces.
Another question: new pads come with their own built-in shims attached to the back. The original Nissan ones that I removed, had a silver shim on top of another shim that was on the pad. I removed that silver shim and put it on the new pads. Should I have done that? Or should I have left out that silver shim that has the clips on sides and top?

macgiver

More layers of shims give way to the spongier pedal , most don't like that. And I don't know what you purchased and so my guess is to have put them on "out of the box" for the latter reason , and that another layer maybe caused minor gap/space that "resonates" in that squeal , and last you do have the squeal - my guess.
BUT again bedding-in process one more time , waiting a few hundred mi, especially if there isn't significant spongy pedal - cause without seeing your job , nothing intrinsically wrong with a shim over a built-in shim?
By waiting , gives a chance for proper "set" to take AND if you do care to tear into an inspection you will see a more thorough "wear distribution" as being correct vs deviant , whilst you go ahead remove the second shim :cool:

nabril

macgiver
thanks for your attempt to help, but your reply was somewhat unintelligible.
I don't know what a "spongier" pedal is, but I assume that it's a pedal that feels weird.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

A lack of understanding there. Virtually anything you put or do to the back of the pad is trying to fix what happens on the front of the pad.

If the new pads were not relieved on the ends to have maybe a 30 degree angle in dropoff; the problem. The angle there is doing something. Old school pads with no angle had asbestos to cushion the pad contact hit and new don't, the pad is much harder than before. When it hits at low pressure like in a slow roll traffic jam the lower pressure lets the pad hit, dig the end of pad in and then skid as it springs back loose and then does it again. The constant migration in small increments is what makes the noise, you push down harder on brake and then it quits.

Not having an angle at end of pad presents a solid right angle dig in point to do that 'catch and release' action that makes noise. Angled ends present too little an angle for the first lock to happen.

I buy cheaper pads without that angle and then grind my own using a bench grinder and no issues with noise even on the pads that before the mod made so much noise people wanted to shoot me. And on Ford Focus, world reknown as the car that makes so much brake noise, mine have been quiet for years now.

Go to parts store and have them pull out pads until you see what I am talking about. Knock the ends off the pads to be angled and the noise will be gone at least until you wear that angle off. I angle mine enough to be good through the entire life of the pad. The exact same idea works on brake SHOES too.

Pad bedding will not help that, rather make it worse likely.

Don't breathe any dust off pad grinding if you decide to cut your own like I do, the dust is hazardous.
Last edited by amc49 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

A spongier pedal is one that does not feel solid like it is supposed to.

On the above post, any clips that are on the END of the pad must be there and at the BACK of pad to shove it forward into the caliper body. That lowers noise too. The clip on the other end will drive you crazy with noise, it shoves the pad backwards, then every time you stop the pad migrates forward in caliper slack until the clip pushes it backward again. Normal for pads is to be preloaded forward if there is any preloading to be done there.

nabril

thank you amc49 and all
I thought that it was a simple question, but the answer keep getting more convoluted.

Here is a picture of the pads
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... 11162330-P

THey have a metal shim built in. I then added the metallic-colored one that was on the factory brakes to this and added grease to the outside of the metallic one. In thinking, I've got metal rubbing against metal (metallic against the one on the pad), and perhaps that's the cause of the noise???

Return to “Rogue Forum”