Squeaky Suspension

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
natsoundup

Earlier this summer my front suspension started squeaking on the driver's side. After reading a number of posts, I concluded that the upper links needed to be replaced (143k miles). Replaced them and the noise went away for about 20 miles.

Any ideas/suggestions

The car does seem to handle a bit better with the new upper links.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

What year? Q, right? (i forgot)

My '92 Q suspension squeaks sometimes in cold weather. I used a Wurth HHS (??) lubricant a few times, also silicone spray. Both helped, but didn't last long.

Last winter I got fed up and used some synthetic bearing grease on all the bushings, joints, rubber parts, etc. It's messy, but it worked like a charm. And most importantly, total cost of $5 (plus dirt under my nails). :eek:

natsoundup

90 Q

Greg---

How did you jam that grease in there?

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Suspension squeaks are nearly always related to a worn rubber component. What causes the squeaking? Do you hear it when you bounce the car up and down, when taking slow turns, and/or when cornering hard (both left and right)? The problem with a rubber system is that when parts wear out, other parts have to take higher loads to compensate, and thus wear faster themselves. Engine mounts are a great example.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'd check/lubricate/replace the sway bar bushings next. They're common culprits.

Heath

natsoundup

It seems to squeak a bit more when I corner... of course it will squeak when you bounce the suspenesion....

I will probably replace sway bar bushings next...that shouldn't be that big of a deal..

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

That's a good next step... If a lot of the suspension components haven't been replaced, I'd lean toward replacing them all (shocks, shock bushings, bumpers, boots etc., tie rod ends, rack boots, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, rack bushings, etc.) You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it'll make in the handling of the car... I waited until about 150 or 160K to replace everything in the list, and I thought the car handled great - had no idea what I was missing!

Just noticed your location... if you're ever passing through Columbia let me know and I can listen to it for you and give you any suggestions I can think of. -Bring a hash-a-plenty from The Beacon in Spartanburg and I might actually fix it! :D

Heath

natsoundup

I just may come down there some time.....

The Q now has 144k miles... I put new tokico blues upfront in January..... the upper links are the only other suspension work.... I did put new boots on the rack and pinion in January as well...

The car is pretty tight... I am going to keep it until the guides go or the A/C goes... I don't mind about thousand dollars of repairs in a year

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

natsoundup wrote:90 Q

Greg---

How did you jam that grease in there?

Just apply it liberally and it'll penetrate on its own.

But.... if you DO get in the mood to start replacing suspension components, the grease will make it very messy. I decided if I ever rebuilt the suspension it'll be at least 2-3 years down the road, so the $5 grease job was a good short term fix.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”