Squeaky door covers... FIXED!

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Well, I fixed what appears to be a common problem on my G. The back door had developed a creaky, squeak every time the momentum of the car shifted... pulling away from a stop, fast breaking, sometimes even over bumps.

I let my wife drive it while I sat back there - and found that it was coming from the top of the interior door covering (directly below the window). I read in another forum that some drivers had some success putting some weatherstrip in there as a buffer - so I decided to give it a try. I removed the door cover first. There are three screws holding it in place. One under the small rectangular plastic cover behind the door handle - and two under the wood or aluminum strip on the door pull. That wood or aluminum trim can be removed by gently pulling on it from the bottom side first... it just snaps in place. After removing the screws - the rest of the door is held in place by snap-in clips. Simply pull from the bottom of the door cover and they will pop out.

Then I took a sheet of sticky-backed felt (available in the craft section of Wal-Mart for less than $.25 each) and cut it into strips about 2" wide. I wrapped the felt over the lip of the metal door (directly below the window) that the door shell hangs on...

After putting everything back together and it's now squeak free! Takes about 10 minutes each... so easy I wasn't about to let the dealership techs take a chance of loosing parts or scratching my tint

Heath

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Very good information.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”