Squeaks Rattles and Other Noises.

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

As some of you new owners start to take these cars through their break in periods you may start to notice a noise somewhere in the inside of the car. Since the roof structure and frame supports are slightly different than the fixed roof models the point of origin might be slightly different and the repair might require more work on the technicians end to fix this the first time.

Infiniti does what they can when it comes to noises and customer satisfaction issues like this. Since there are only a handful of units on the road right now I would like to make a list of noises found by other Nico members.

For this I think we will need a template for other members to copy and paste into a new post. So here is goes.

This is just the draft and I will keep on top of this thread. If there anything that needs to be added or removed it can be changed very easily.

Thank you for your time everyone.

--------------------------Type of Noise- (squeak)(rattle)(other)If other please specify-

Where does the noise appear to be coming from-

Please share with us any details about your specific noise-

Where you able to get this fixed by your dealer- (Yes)(No)Are there any other specifics pertaining to this issue, parts replaced, adjustments made-

--------------------------

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

To elaborate on this a little more. According to the Factory Service Manual these are the guidelines for noise description. The examples are a little odd in some cases but they paint a decent mental image.

•Squeak – (Like tennis shoes on a clean floor)Squeak characteristics include the light contact/ fast movement/brought on by road conditions/ hard surfaces= higher pitch noise/softer surfaces = lower pitch noises/ edge to surface = chirping• Creak – (Like walking on an old wooden floor)Creak characteristics include firm contact/slow movement/twisting with a rotational movement/pitch dependenton materials/often brought on by activity.• Rattle – (Like shaking a baby rattle)Rattle characteristics include the fast repeated contact/vibration or similar movement/loose parts/missingclip or fastener/incorrect clearance.• Knock – (Like a knock on a door)Knock characteristics include hollow sounding/sometimes repeating/often brought on by driver action.• Tick – (Like a clock second hand)Tick characteristics include gentle contacting of light materials/loose components/can be caused by driveraction or road conditions.• Thump – (Heavy, muffled knock noise)Thump characteristics include softer knock/dead sound often brought on by activity.• Buzz – (Like a bumblebee)Buzz characteristics include high frequency rattle/firm contact.• Often the degree of acceptable noise level will vary depending up on the person. A noise that you may judgeas acceptable may be very irritating to the customer.• Weather conditions, especially humidity and temperature, may have a great effect on noise level.

Below is a copy of the rarely used diagnostic check sheet for noises. If you can pin point the noise even a little it will save time and improve the odds of getting the noise repaired.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

I need to un-report a rattle. The noise I was hearing from the "c" pillar area with the top up is magically gone.

Maybe if you ding the door panel with the seat belt buckle enough, you can fix other rattles. I've got about 5 serious dings in the door panel now, and I'm really trying to be careful. It's just so hard to keep the buckle out of the way of the door frame.

tgracer
Car: G37S Convertible

Hi Steve, first of all thanks for being such a great resource on here.... I've learned quite a bit so far from reading your posts and I've only had the car and been on here for 2 weeks.

I am having one of those "drive you crazy" type noises from day 1. I was hoping it would just go away, but with 500 miles on her now it's still consistant. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it before having someone at the dealership try to fix it. Since it appears to be convertible top related I'm not too thrilled for it to be the first one they've probably worked on.

The noise per your description guildelines:

The origination of the noise is in the convertible top somewhere in the center directly above the front seats - possibly a little towards the passenger side. It sounds like it's coming from just above the interior headliner material.

Out of the descriptors offered I think creak fits it best with maybe a little squeek characteristic thrown in. It's not too loud, very short duration (like a click) and loud enough to hear over the radio at normal levels.

It happens periodically when the car is moving at any speed. About every few mins when the road is smooth.

It hapens more frequently if a medium roughness in the road is encountered. Even more if it's a moderate roughness. Crossing a railroad track type situation will cause it to occur several times quickly while the typical body shake is happening. (which I can live with - it's a convertible afterall)

Other than this annoyance the car is really great and I can't wait to rack up some more miles. But, the noise has got to go. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Tony

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Hey Tony - Sounds like a cable or other tensioning device for the top that may have come loose and is "clanking" around.

Try pressing and holding the lock/unlock button on the outside of the door until the roof partially retracts. Release the button once the top is in a position where you are experiencing the noise. Take a look under the headliner to see if there is something obvious that needs some insulating foam or tape to rectify the situation.Good luck.-B

PS - Welcome & congrats on your new ride! Post up some details or some photos in a separate thread & introduce yourself.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Hey there Tony, Welcome to our G37 convertible forum.

If you have any suggestions for content please let me know we still have a pretty small group but we are growing.

Your noise has a great description although I do not know if I can help you narrow it down without being able to remove or move aside the headliner to find the loose or misadjusted part. It really sounds like a slight adjustment is required somewhere between the first and second panel. I would start this repair by having someone else drive the car while I sat in the passenger or back (although I doubt I could pack myself back there ) and try to see where the noise was coming from. If you can replicate the noise while gently vibrating the roof by hand that would make finding the noise much easier. If you can find the source maybe you can fix this yourself, my job is not rocket science. Normally I would not tell the owner of a 2009 to try to find their own rattle, but if you can pinpoint the source yourself you decrease blind hunting on the techs part. Plus this would give you a chance to get a little more personal with the inner working of the top, some of us like to know how things work. There are literally dozens of potential adjustment points in the roof system any one exceeding a very small tolerance has the potential to effect silent operation and storage of the top.

I understand your not wanting to turn your car over to techs who are new to convertibles. One of the things I cannot stress enough is get to know your tech, ride with them if you have to in order to make sure they know exactly what you are dealing with. If you get to know the people you are turning your car over too and trust them dealing with any type of issue is easier on everyone.

Although I am not an owner I think if a small intermittent noise is the biggest concern with a new model that is a win for build quality and design. In my time in this field I have seen some wild stuff at different companies.

tgracer
Car: G37S Convertible

Thanks for the input guys... I'll do some more investigation and let you know what I come up with. Also, I'll put up a seperate post with a couple pictures. She's a beauty.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

You're the man Steve-O!!!!

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”