Squeak from top segments

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hi all,

I know there are several threads around here about noises from the top on Gs and I am now adding another one.

As many of you probably know fitment and noise resolution is not completely uncommon when it comes to a system as complex and intricate as the retractable hard top on this car. Time, weather, and the stress will effect the seals on the roof panels more so than any other part of any of your previous vehicles. The price of this car does not make it immune from noises as I am sure we all know.

So here we are there is snow on the ground and the temperatures are hovering around the black ice area for many of us. I have started to see a few of my loyal owners with G convertibles come in with rubbing type noises. The sound is sometimes likened to the noise made by dry windshield wipers on a dry windshield. I have found no less than 4 points of contact that were exhibiting this noise on the effected 2010 in my bay this week. In many cases these cars sit for periods of time and are not used a primary vehicle, and even when in a garage they still seems to be getting dirty.

What I found is dirt and debris have started to collect on the rubber seals between the panels. In an effort to resolve this I opened the roof less than halfway and used some wd40 and a microfiber towel to clean the runner segment seals on the roof panels. I repeated this every morning for three days using Nissan silicone lube on this new car seemed to yield much better results.

As for other noises not associated with dirty seals, I would like to give you all some food for thought.
If you adjust the roof panels when the average temperature is this cold what is going to happen when the heat expands the panels in three months?

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

Great thread Steve. I knew when I bought my car I'd have squeaking during the winter months. That's a given with a convertible. Even the BMW's and mercedes make noise. Another good tip about not making adjustments until warmer weather.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

I brought my new camera ( :gapteeth: ) to work as I knew there was another unhappy new convertible owner with a cold and cranky convertible. I figured since the cleaning was being performed already I would go ahead and take a few shots to give you an idea of what we are talking about.

The RED arrows indicate possible squeak points. Start with cleaning and lubricating.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NICOSteveTh ... directlink
The lubricant we have been using soaks in so by the time the owner comes to get it it should be mostly absorbed.

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

Wow steve i didn't know you worked on them. Awesome!!!

How do the hardtop verts hold up?

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Super write up Steve - thanks for sharing and for making this a great place!

I always lube the rubber seals (with silicon) between the panels as well as the attachment point on the windshield during each wash. My Vert is not my DD in the winter so I cant comment on how this technique holds up over periods of time without re-application but with proper maintenance as you documented, this should not be an issue.
All the best.
-B

PS - Where's Poyz? It is a bit quiet on this forum...

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

What is everyone useing for lubing up the seals and rubbers?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

There are several products out there you may want to consider adding to your detailing reppetoire. Some of the other forums where this type of noise (ahem, Chrysler I'm looking at you :squint: ) is much more common seem to like the Zymol.
I've never tried this product but I used to really like their other products.
http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3057A0A0.aspx

This is what I am currently using. This stuff is expensive but it lasts longer than any aerosol I have purchased for work.
http://www.amazon.com/Wurth-HHS-2000-Pe ... B0002XRDLE

Remember cleaning agents should be free of alcohol (*) to ensure you are not accidentally expediting the degradation process. I took a new microfiber towel and cleaned using hand soap and water, dried with a clean towel, and applied an even amount of HHS. It is kind of a pain and might very well take a little while to get the top to the right position where you can access the third panel seals.
(*)- After thinking about it I really don't even know if that is true anymore, I've always done it that way in all of my cars with success so....
If there is a defined dirt line you might want to inspect the mating edge.
Amays U G37S wrote:Wow steve i didn't know you worked on them. Awesome!!!

How do the hardtop verts hold up?
I try to practice what I preach :cheers:

I personally think the G convertible has been a success from looking the forum over here and what I see at work and in talking to the district reps. That being said the biggest complaint tends to be noises and fitment issues. This is where things get messy though. Not every dealer has technicians experienced with these cars, there are several very specific measurements that need to be made in order to properly diagnose and repair and if they are not willing to invest the time needed the repair may not be completed.

Other than that it seems like these cars are holding up quite well. I look at the lack of traffic in this forum at times as a sign these cars are mostly problem free.
bschurr wrote: My Vert is not my DD in the winter so I cant comment on how this technique holds up over periods of time without re-application but with proper maintenance as you documented, this should not be an issue.

PS - Where's Poyz? It is a bit quiet on this forum...
I bet if your garage is heated the seals will be fine. If not I would be curious to see what it looks like when it comes out of hibernation. Not that it will look bad but I'm wondering if the rubber will absorb the silicone. When picking the proper lubricant I was debating between the tub of Nissan pure Silicone which is very thick or a traditional silicone spray. The silicone would work well but it might look messy. In the case I was dealing with I chose ascetics over functionality. If we were talking about storing for an extended period of the time in the elements the answer might be something different.

Poyzinous got caught up in being better than me in Fantasy Football. But I feel like he'll be back since the lights are now out in SD. :poke:

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

I use 3M dry lub which is not that expensive and works great,

8897 - 3M Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type)
High quality silicone lubricant which eliminates rubber squeaks, prevents sticking and seals out moisture. This product contains no petroleum oils to stain fabrics and will not freeze at -28 degrees F nor degrade at +350 degreese F.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA300_.jpg

darldarl

Thank you very much Steve...for such a thorough review...
Just have one quick question though...
(I m really a Newb, so please bear with me...)

I have not yet purchased the HHS-K, so I am not quiet sure...
but I assume that HHS-K is a spray-type lubricant...

So when you spray the HHS-K, how can you spot spray the rubber parts only?
(I m worried that it may get to other parts and inflict with the paint finish)

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Welcome to the group Darl,

I would strongly advise not spraying anything directly onto the seals as the likelihood of getting overspray on something else is quite great.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

darldarl wrote:Thank you very much Steve...for such a thorough review...
Just have one quick question though...
(I m really a Newb, so please bear with me...)

I have not yet purchased the HHS-K, so I am not quiet sure...
but I assume that HHS-K is a spray-type lubricant...

So when you spray the HHS-K, how can you spot spray the rubber parts only?
(I m worried that it may get to other parts and inflict with the paint finish)
Apply the lubricant of your choice to a lint free cloth (like microtones) and then wipe the seals. Don't spray directly onto the rubber - it will make a big goopy, gloppy mess! :nono:

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”