Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
snic09
Car: 03 G35 sedan

Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Postby snic09 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:34 am

Hi all,

I recently had the front struts replaced on my 2003 G35 sedan (is that a classic yet? :biggrin:). The mechanic installed new KYB shocks and strut mounts, but used the old springs. As soon as this was done, I noticed an intermittent squeak from the front, only while moving. After much futzing (I was there for some of it), the mechanic found that if he moved the top of the shock around in the mount, it made the noise become less when be bounced the front end up and down. It's coming from both sides, but before he realized that, he had replaced the shock and mount on one side - and the noise is still coming from both sides. So, out of 3 new struts/mounts, at least 2 of them squeak.

He sprayed a bunch of lubricant all over the place, including into the mount, and now the noise while driving is worse. It's almost like there are positions within the mount where it squeaks and positions where it doesn't (explains the intermittency), and now that it's lubricated in there, it gets into the "squeak position" more often.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

It's very strange that brand new parts would produce this squeaking. I looked in the Infiniti service manual for any special installation instructions that maybe the mechanic might have missed, but it seems very straightforward. I guess the next step is to install a different brand of strut and/or mount, but I'm curious whether the experts around here have heard of this problem before.

Thanks!

telcoman
Car: 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796mi. 2013 Altima 2.5SV

Re: Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Postby telcoman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Did you or the mechanic ever consult the FSM for your vehicle?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2003/fsu.pdf

See troubleshooting page FSU 5

Good luck

Telcoman

Wes45
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35

Postby Wes45 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Did you solve the problem? I have the same issue after replacing the front struts with KYB's. My mechanic also sprayed on some lube and it didn't seem to change anything much.

delray2002
Car: 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe - standard

Postby delray2002 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm

The squeak in my case wasn't from the strut .. it was from the strut mount. There's a rubber component that's not present in, say, a Monroe equivalent. The metal in the strut rubs against the rubber in the KYB product and that's the source of the squeak. Lubricants like lithium grease may take care of it for a day or two, but it's not a solution. DO NOT buy the KYB strut mounts!

I replaced old OEM front and rear struts and front strut mounts on a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe with all KYB parts. Started hearing occasional squeaking from right front which became almost constant within a week of initial installation. Parts supplier insisted it was a defect in the strut - refused to replace the strut mount at the same time. New strut installed -- same problem. Found lots of other posts on line about the same problem ... all said it was the mount. Parts supplier then agreed to replace the KYB mount with a new one. Same problem. I bought/had installed a Monroe strut mount ... no more problem on the driver's side, but now was hearing the same thing from the passenger side (probably was there all along, but driver's side was masking it.) Replaced the passenger side strut mount with a Monroe .......... no more problem. Cost me a fortune in labor, diagnostics, and shipping.

Drive35
Car: 2004 Infinity G 35

Postby Drive35 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Did you replace the bushings with urethane ones? If so, they might not have put enough grease.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”