Spun Out

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Yep that's right. I took the G for a little 360 Friday night.

Rain + Bald Rear Tires + Curve = Spin

I was on my way home from a concert and as I was merging onto I-465 from I-69 I hit a bit of a slick spot in the road and around I went. I clearly remember loosing traction and then I remember the end of the spin, but the middle part was just a blur. It came as quite a surprise when it happened. I knew I had bald rears and since it was raining I was being very careful, but evidently not enough. The car is fine, luckily there was not anyone directly behind me or else it could have been a much different scenario.

I am a bit surprised that the car actually spun completely around considering the VDC. The VDC kicked on and applied the braking, but I went around anyway. I came to a complete stop nearly going the exact same direction I was. I put the car in park, turned it off and then back on and away I went. Luckily my new tires will be in today, so I won't have to worry about it anymore.

g35driver
Car: Power kite flying

It's a good thing you didn't hit anything or someone hit you. Whew - Be sure to keep tires in your budget so you can replace them before you run out of traction. It's one thing to drift on purpose but for it to happen with a 360 spin out unplanned - that's one way to get the heart rate up.I'm sure the VDC works fine but I remember seeing the pics of you tires on another thread. So you’re off to the shop for a new pair of shoes before your feet come through. Good idea.Kev...

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

you got lucky bro, that could have ended real nasty like...

Keep safe guys. This is just more proof that NOTHING makes a car impossible to spin out.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Fortunately, you were lucky! Whew.

I know tire replacements can often be expensive, but I am a firm believer in not letting tires get way below 4/32" if I can avoid it. The one time I let this happen (down to about 2/32"), I was not happy when my car started to misbehave in wet weather. On my wife's car, it gets changed at 4/32" without the slightest hesitation - I want her and my son to be safe!

Z

rydwhite

The new tires were put on yesterday. And it is amazing how big of a difference there is. The car handles much better, rides much better and is much quieter. I have gotten so used to riding on the old tires that I forgot how much better the car was when I got it new. It is like a new toy again.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

What are your new tires?

Fred..:)

rydwhite

I just replaced the stock Goodyear RSA. It is a decent tire, I really had no problems with them, so I decided to just get the same thing to replace, plus I was keeping the RSA's on the front, since they didn't need replaced. I didn't want to spend alot on new tires since I am still planning on getting new wheels and tires sometime in the spring.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

rydwhite wrote:I just replaced the stock Goodyear RSA. It is a decent tire, I really had no problems with them, so I decided to just get the same thing to replace, plus I was keeping the RSA's on the front, since they didn't need replaced. I didn't want to spend alot on new tires since I am still planning on getting new wheels and tires sometime in the spring.
Did you get the new wheels and tires? It is almost spring!

BTW, I would strongly recommend changing from the stock Goodyear RSA tires. These tires are over-priced (some of the sizes are way higher priced than other, better, Goodyear tires).

I had them as OEM on my wife's Acura, and strongly believe that they are worse than many other brands and models (including other Goodyears). You can see them as the reference tire for comparisons at Tirerack tests, and they always seem to lose - on all the test methods!

Z

rydwhite

Thanks for the info Z. No new wheels yet. Things keep popping up that are a bit more important. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be getting them right now. I have some things I want to get done around the house first that I have been putting off.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”