springs and struts

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
D_Mac

I already have some eibach sportlines and will be ordering kyb AGXs soon. How hard is it to put the springs and struts in yourself? I have some jack stands, and my friends and I are pretty mechanically inclined. Any advice on how to do this? or should I have them installed by a professional? I dont think I will need a spring compressor because I will be using new springs and struts, so the old springs will not need to come off the shocks/struts. If anyone in the Boston area knows how to do it and wants to help out i would aprecciate it, or you could do it as a side job or whatever and i would pay you

thanks,Dave

S14 Stud

it's easy to do it yourself, I've changed my shocks and struts, took me about 3-4 hours for all 4....I did need a spring compressor though. I'd recommend getting one anyways, you don't want to see what happens when a compressed spring goes loose. I think you actually do need a compressor to install springs/struts.

GoofyATX240

Get a spring compressor.Cause after you get the assembly out of its spot in the car.Your gonna have to take the strut out.And to do that you have to unscrew the bolt right in the middle of the assembly..And u need the spring to be compressed when you do that or all hell will break loose.

Nismo240sxt
Car: Autocross, working on cars, hanging out, etc...

Its a pretty easy install, a friend and myself did springs and shocks on my 97 in about 2-3hrs can't really remember. We didn't use a compressor as we didn't really need it, but if you haven't done this type of thing before then get the compressor as one mistake could cost you a limb. lol

Josh

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I would recommend a spring compressor to get the spring off. Most lowering springs doesn't absolutely require you to have it to put it back on though. You can usually compress it with your body weight enough to get the nut on. Just make sure you seat the spring correctly otherwise you'll be doing it again.

trpower7

I always wondered if I could compress the spring up against like, the bottom of a really sturdy table with a floor jack, and then use heavy duty cable ties.......hmmmm......

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

Whatever you compressed spring against (with jack) would have to weigh as much as a car, so get like a bunch of friends to sit on table . . . I've never done it, but I've seen what can happen w/o a spring compressor, so get one, trust me.

EDIT: and the ends can't possibly justify the means, because the means affect what ends are gotten . . . Ends and MeansAldous Huxley

trpower7

When the ends attained are the desired ends, then the means are justified. Only when the means alter the desired ends does that apply.

Daunttless

From a Machiavellian standpoint, if you got your ends, whatever you had to do was worth it, because if you were actually following Machiavellian logic you would have taken acceptable losses for your gain, and would have done things that were only detrimental to others. : )

trpower7

Rock on Daunttless. Live by "The Prince", die by "The Prince"

WhItES13

After u install the sportlines and u take it to get aligned do they fix your camber for you at the alignment shop?Thanks!!!

GoofyATX240

Yes just ask them bout camber adjustment and order some camber bolts or camber plates for the front cause ull need em.

tiki240
Car: my S13

install may take a while but the sportlines make the S13 look DAMN good.:bowdown

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”