Spring sound when first driving

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

After starting the car and pulling out of my driveway, i would hear a sound like a spring coming from the front right side. AWD resetting?

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Is it at about 18-20 kph (11-12 miles per hour)? When the engine is cold, not when hot?

I have the same thing. Philip explained it in another thread, but I cannot find it anymore.

It is the visco coupling or something like that (mechanical guy here ) which couple or convert at that speed. On other cars, it is done at higher speed, that is why it is not noticeable. On the Rogue, it is done at this low speed to save on gas, but it makes a little bit more noise.

Normal noise, everything is good, move on people, nothing to see here

Roguemeister

I don't know, but my MX-5 makes a noise like that everytime just pulling away from the driveway as well. I was told that it is the ABS system doing a "self test".

philipa_240sx

The ABS does do a self test, usually within the first 50ft of driving. The sound varies, but usually is a buzzing noise similar to when the ABS activates on a slippery surface.

infiniti02
Car: 2012 Pathfinder LE

Oh I just posted in the tranny thread before I saw this thread. And I was questioning that "spring" sound .......

So this is normal?

It is definitely not a buzzing sound but a sound like a spring wound to tight that then lets go.

AznJohn22

Pescakl1 wrote:Is it at about 18-20 kph (11-12 miles per hour)? When the engine is cold, not when hot?

I have the same thing. Philip explained it in another thread, but I cannot find it anymore.

It is the visco coupling or something like that (mechanical guy here ) which couple or convert at that speed. On other cars, it is done at higher speed, that is why it is not noticeable. On the Rogue, it is done at this low speed to save on gas, but it makes a little bit more noise.

Normal noise, everything is good, move on people, nothing to see here
I guess that sounds about right. It only happens from a cold start.

Pescakl1

Finally I found it: zerothread/324725

The thread is about brake plate touching the brake rotor but close to the end, there is a post of AndyP and an answer from Philip about it.

It is the torque converter engaging at lower speed than usual to make us save some gas.

Like as said previously, it happens every morning when I leave my driveway and sometimes in the afternoon when I leave work.At the beginning I thought it was something rubbing something else while turning (because I was turning right at that time), so after the post, I drove slowly, turned, and on the road, going straight, I listened as I was accelarating, and I heard the sound again.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:It is the torque converter engaging at lower speed than usual to make us save some gas.
The 'torque converter' does not make any noise when engaged. The only sound it produces is a low frequency engine/drivetrain vibration similar to driving a manual transmission in a very high gear at low speeds.

I think you may be confused.

I never get any 'popping spring' noise on my Rogue. Mind you, I do not have AWD. The only other noises I get when first starting is ABS self test which is nothing more than a loud buzz lasting 1-2sec.

Pescakl1

Oh

How long after you started your engine you have this self test?

In my case, I back up, climb a small hill to reach the road and usually I hit the 18 kph where I hear the spring sound.When I go slower and turn on the street I still get the sound later, still at around 18kph.

If it is not the slef test of the ABS, what could it be?

BTW, we have the same car, even the color is the same : SL FWD basic.

AznJohn22

btw, i hear a clicking sound when i press down the brake while @ park. Is it normal?

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:If it is not the slef test of the ABS, what could it be?

BTW, we have the same car, even the color is the same : SL FWD basic.
It's possible we are talking about the same noise. Quite honestly I do not pay attention to it since I was used to the ABS self test in my Altima and this sounds similar.

philipa_240sx

AznJohn22 wrote:btw, i hear a clicking sound when i press down the brake while @ park. Is it normal?
Clicking? The CVT tranny does make some interesting noises at times. I attribute them to CVT operation and you can barely hear them most of the time.

Now if it's a rythmic tapping noise, check your tire treads for embedded stones. I had one the other day that was driving me nuts!

Brakes typically emit more of a squeal or scraping noise.

Pescakl1

philipa_240sx wrote:Now if it's a rythmic tapping noise, check your tire treads for embedded stones. I had one the other day that was driving me nuts!
And it seems the Continental tires are quite good at it. I went camping at Sandbanks provincional park and I thought I have studded tires .

My wife went to do some shopping, I couldn't stand it anymore and went to remove them from the tires.

For the noise, I paid more attention this morning (I had to turn off the radio to hear it), and yes, I think we talked about the same thing, not that much spring but really fast kinda ABS sound (but the car waits to be at about 15kph to do the test).

AznJohn22

philipa_240sx wrote:
Clicking? The CVT tranny does make some interesting noises at times. I attribute them to CVT operation and you can barely hear them most of the time.

Now if it's a rythmic tapping noise, check your tire treads for embedded stones. I had one the other day that was driving me nuts!

Brakes typically emit more of a squeal or scraping noise.
When I press down the brakes in Park, i would hear a click sound from the gear shift.

pedror
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

There is a mention of it related to VDC in my Owners Manual (Canadian version page 5-28):

Quote »The VDC system computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system each time you start the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed forward or backward. When the self-test occurs, you may hear a "clunk" noise and/or a pulsation in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not an indication of a malfunction.[/quote]

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

AznJohn22 wrote:
When I press down the brakes in Park, i would hear a click sound from the gear shift.
This is a normal sound, part of the lock in the tranny set up that makes you step on the brake pedal to shift into drive or reverse.

captcab
Car: Nissan Rogue

I too get this spring noise when first pulling out of my parking garage. I have the SL AWD and was worried a bit until I saw your post. All this transmission noise talk was scaring me but I believe our noise is different.

mhudgens
Car: Rogue

I get a spring noise as though is is unloading a lot of tension from the rear passenger side when backing out of a parking stall. First time it happened I though I backed over a bottle or something. Dealer said it was the brakes unloading. I don't think I like that explanation. Nor do I want to hear the noise. My foot isn't even on the brake. I know that if you continue to complain of the same complaint and they varify it without fixing it but offer a cheap explanation, a complaint direct to Nissan will help get it resloved.

mfsn

I have the same exactly thing happening to my 09 SL AWD. Has anyone heard any official explanation from Nissan about this noise?

mhudgens

The explanation to me was shifting and settling during shipping. My dealer loosened all the bolts for the rear suspension, retightened to factory torque specs and the problem has been gone for almost a month.

RubenTheRogue
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

My 08 has the same noise, back out of driveway ~50ft, back up to the right, make an immediate left turn to go around a curb..."sound" is made about 1/2 way thru the turn.

Wife says she feels a pulsing in the gas pedal at the same time, I've never felt it...

mhudgens

Take it back to the dealer. Tell them to test it out with you present. My dealer made it do the noise when backing our of a stall and turning to the right. Have your dealer call Nissan of Santa Rosa. I would assume they would have a record of the repair and the work performed. If not send me a note and I will send the minimal info from my work order to you.

s3e3
Car: 2008 Rogue

I hear the same noise every morning. It sounds more like a small stone hitting the bottom of the car.Other Rogue owners I've talked to said they hear the same noise. Doesn't seem like anything to be worried about.

I even forgot to tell my dealer when bringing the car for an oil change.

kazzan11236
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge SL-FWD-Fully Loaded-Tints

i park in the driveway of my house.

my e-brake makes a noise when i put it on THEN let go of the brake...

Return to “Rogue Forum”