Spray painted rims, will changing tires ruin it??

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
CanuckQx4
Car: 2001.5 Qx4 2wd

I have a set of 20" rims in my garage that has old black spray paint on them, I want to refinish it with a slightly textured spray paint and then clearcoat

I also need to mount tires on the rims, I figured it would be much easier to spray paint the rims without tires, but would a tire guy installing tires scratch them up pretty good since its just spray paint??

What do you guys think??

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Theres a good chance in that especially since they are 20s. Maybe if you find a guy that knows what hes doing and a good machine that has the attachment for larger wheels, you might get away with it but wouldnt bet on a perfectly clean get away.

I recommend putting tires on first, then tape off the tire so its not sprayed. Be sure to get the tape slightly under the lip of the rim and paint them off the car. That should be fine and will guarantee a non scratched wheel.

VQpwrdSE-R
Car: 2005 Code Red Nissan Altima SE-R
2013 Nissan Altima SV

alms24sebring wrote:I recommend putting tires on first, then tape off the tire so its not sprayed. Be sure to get the tape slightly under the lip of the rim and paint them off the car. That should be fine and will guarantee a non scratched wheel.
I agree with having the rim mounted first but painters tape doesnt adhere to rubber. I have refinished rims and used about 50-60 index cards. Tuck them between the tire and the rim standing on edge around the whole rim. It makes a funnel. Use plastic dropcloth to prevent overspray on the tread. I had a set of beat looking winter rims that I refinished. I used Rustoleums High Performance Wheel spraypaint (graphite metalflake). I sanded the rims then 2 coats primer, 2-3 coats graphite and finished it with the rustoleum clearcoat. I have had them on the car this winter for 4 months and they have held up well. Except for the lug holes where the socket rubbed the paint off. I hope when I mount new tires on in the future it doesnt destroy them but I bought some extra cans to touch up.

The finished product
Best of luck, post pics up.

CanuckQx4

I wish rustoleum sold wheel paint here in canada!!

I found some krylon textured gunmetal I like... but its slightly textured... which I dont mind, but I hope clear still "protects" it

Guess Ill mount the tires first and waste alotta time taping and masking

alms24sebring

Yeah its just alittle time consuming but makes a good finished product. You can use painters tape with newspaper or index cards (good idea).

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Another thing you can do is wipe vasoline on the tires (causing the paint not to stick to them) then just wipe it clean when your done.

CanuckQx4

Like a thick coat or just smeared/glossy. Sounds a little messy

300ZXttZMAN

Its going to be messy no question about it due to the amount you would have to use. But its real cheap and it works damn good because you can get it exactly where you don't want paint. Just remember that the more you put the better results you will get.. Its going to take alot just because of all the space it has to take up so it may not be perfect for this application but atleast now you know that you can use vasoline to protect things from overspray. :bigthumb:

I have never actually done it when painting wheels just an FYI. I have used it for like letters on valve covers, little rubber grommets, trim pieces, brake lines ect.

alms24sebring

I think its better for the smaller applications especially letter, not 4 big tires.

VQpwrdSE-R
Car: 2005 Code Red Nissan Altima SE-R
2013 Nissan Altima SV

Vasoline? Tires? :wtf2: Sounds like the outcome could be like that forum fail guy who wanted his new tires to look good. He armor all'd the whole tire including tread surface then hydroplaned off the wet road due to lack of traction.

alms24sebring

^ lol. I know this guy that got new rotors and spray painted it all black, like ALL black including where the pads meet and didnt realize what he did. F***in idiot and a half. KIds, dont do drugs.

300ZXttZMAN

VQpwrdSE-R wrote:Vasoline? Tires? :wtf2: Sounds like the outcome could be like that forum fail guy who wanted his new tires to look good. He armor all'd the whole tire including tread surface then hydroplaned off the wet road due to lack of traction.
Wow that is retarded..

People these days :tisk:

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Vasoline on the part which contacts the wheel wouldn't spread to the tread if not slathered on.

Prep is key when painting wheels. I'd recommend sandblasting/mediablasting and priming the wheel first, then painting. When mounting, if the shop knows what they're doing, it shouldn't be an issue.

Return to “General Chat”