Sport vs Premuim. Shopping questions

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
will_blueprint

Hi I plan on purchasing a G35 in the VERY near future, like towards the end of this month. I went on my first test drives on yesterday. I drove a 03.5 Sport and a 03 Premium. I feel in love with the sport. For some reason however I didnt like the Black interior ( I know its mental but the beige just seems to have more room) The Sport version I had the time of my live in, I was actually doing very sharp turns going in access of 50+ also it seemed to have a much firmer ride as i felt every bump and more precise steering. Both which I loved, and it also seemed a little more peppy than the premium. The permium was more of a lack luster drive it seemd i little more luxuirious and shifts were nonnoticable. I didnt even get the urge to push it. Which I feel isnt good.

I said all that to say is is there really a difference between the Sport and Premuim packages. One dealership stated the sport had a lil different suspension, adjusted steering and the variable valve was tweaked a little bit. The other dealer that was trying to sell me the Premium stated the only difference was an interior only package everything else was exactly the same. Which shall I believe or do you all have any insight. It sure would be nice if i could find a sport with a premuim interior :) My choices are kind of limited because I am in the Predriven market.

Also I received a price quote for the premium (32K miles) of 24900 and the Sport 25000 (27K miles). The prices were just from sitting down talking for a couple of minutes with them. DO oyu think these are reasonable? The guy with the premium knew I was coming form the other dealersip so he "claimed" he was taking a loss just to undercut the other dealer.

So if you took the time to read all this let me know what you think. Thanks

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Welcome to NICO Will! Try copying and pasting this post into our G35 forum for more visibility with those who can answer your question. Or if a General Mod sees this, maybe he can move it for you. Post pics after you find your ride!

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Welcome to NICO Will. Were you test driving coupes or sedans? Also, I don't believe that there is an actual sports package option for either. I know the coupe has a performance package option which includes 18' wheels instead of 17' wheels and it has LSD. The premium package contains power sunroof, dual climate controls, auto headlights and some other things. The coupe and sedan have some slightly different options as well.

The different feel of the two cars could be a result of the previous owner and their driving habits. The ECU on the car will learn the driving habits of the owner and then handle things differently. So, if one car feels sportier than the other it may just be because the owner drove the car a little harder than the owner of the car with premium. You can easily reset the ECU and it will make a dramatic differnce in the feel of the car. Many people claim that the loaner cars feel much sportier and quicker than their car, the reason is because people drive the loaner car harder than their car. I am guessing that that is probably the difference that you are feeling between the two cars.

Can you list the features of both cars that way we can determine which package and options the car actually has and what the potential differneces in feel could also be contributed too? Thanks.

g35driver
Car: Power kite flying

Welcome Will_BlueprintYou must be testing the sedans. The 2003 & 2003.5 Sedan has a sport option which includes 17 inch wheels and stiffer suspension and some interior extras. There are some sedans out there with both. Keep looking Will. You can have the best of both worlds. I had to have both options since I wanted a red coupe like Ryan's but needed 4 doors. A little sport and a little luxury it's a compromise I can live with.Kev...

will_blueprint

yahbut i am in the predriven market so it makes it a little harder for me. i can do like 25-26000 but not 34-35000. I mean i could but dont want to

rydwhite

I didn't realize that there was a sport option available. Was that just in the 03 and 03.5 model sedans?

g35driver

rydwhite wrote:I didn't realize that there was a sport option available. Was that just in the 03 and 03.5 model sedans?
The sport package is in the 03,03.5,& 04 per Infiniti web site listed as Sport-Tuned Supension Package - • Sport-tuned shock absorbers and springs• 17-inch, 5-spoke aluminum-alloy sport wheels• 215/55R17 W-rated high-performance summer-compound tires• Additional titanium-tinted interior trimSport I forgot about the tires. W-rated high performance summer-compound tires. Oh, so thats why I didn't have good grip in snow/icy weather, but thats only 2 or 3 weeks a year in NC. That's ok, It's not like I live in Indiana or something. I guess most of the pre-owned in the market right now are the loaners and wouldn't have the sport option. Kev...

rydwhite

Thanks for the info, it's good to know.

will_blueprint

Thanks for all the great adivce guys, I think what i am going to do is to go after a premium G and hope to buy the sport suspension off someone on here who is upgrading or atleast get some eibach's. Thanks for all of you guys help and i cant wait to have the same enjoyment you all do.

rydwhite

No problem, that's what we're here for. Ask any questions you have before you buy and deffinetly post up some pics once you get the car.

finbleu
Car: Mountain Climbing

rdywhite Quote »The ECU on the car will learn the driving habits of the owner and then handle things differently.[/quote] Can you tell me how the ECU does this?

rydwhite

finbleu wrote:Can you tell me how the ECU does this?

I'm sorry, but I can't really tell you anything because I don't really know how it does this. I just know that it sort of remembers the last actions of the driver and then takes all that info and uses it for good and not evil. I'm sure it is just a computer chip that retains certain information and then applies it when needed. I'm sure you can tell that I am not an electonics/computer wiz.

g35driver

We might want to move this question to the Infiniti General site. I would like to know a little more about the ECU myself.Kev...

rydwhite

Kev, instead of moving the thread, I will make a post in the Infiniti general section regarding the ECU.

rydwhite

Here is a link to the question I posted in the Infiniti general section. http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....61286

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”