sport vs. non-sport

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bb-m35

has anyone driven both enough to comment on the differences? The sport is suppose to be firmer and the non-sport smoother with a bit more body role. That makes sense but shouldn't the performance numbers show a difference? I was looking at the specs from Motor Trend testing of the M45 Sport and compared to the testing the M35 non-sport. These were two different comparo tests - so I understand they were done one different days and possibly in different places, etc ,etc. But the numbers are very close.

I understand tests only tell part of the story and I can't explain why R&T got .91 for lateral acce - I just would have thought that the motortrend tests would have shown a clearer picture on handling. Maybe they did test the M35 Sport and got it wrong even with the pictures. But - if I took away the labels - it looks like you are talking about the same car.

Probably get a better picture if they turn of the stability control during the tests - it doesn't state that they did - but would the stability control kick in at the same time/speeds for both models - that seems odd to me.

-----------------------------m45 sport--------------m35600-foot Slalom-------------63.8-------------------64.4braking, 60-0 --------------114 ft------------------118ftMT Figure-8-----------------26.3 @ .68g----------26.6 @.66Lateral acceleration------- .86g-----------------.86g

Road&Track--------------M45 Sport700 foot slalom------------ 63.6braking--------------------- 115ftlateral acce-----------------.91

C&D -------------------------- M45 Sport300-foot skidpad--------- .89 stability off -------------------------------.86 stability on

Modified by bb-m35 at 9:16 AM 8/18/2005

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I don't get your point as all you quote are S model numbers.

Different locations on different days with different drivers on surfaces with different coefficients of friction will give different numbers.

But on the same model with the same suspension geoometry on the same day with the same driver, the most differences will be due to the tires.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

maxnix wrote:
But on the same model with the same suspension geoometry on the same day with the same driver, the most differences will be due to the tires.
Indeed...... Thtas why the Q45a didnt handle much better than the regular Q... they all used the same tires. However its how the car behaves... just because the numbers are the same doesnt mean that it doesnt feel better...

BTW the first one compares the m45 sport and M35

bb-m35

No, read carefully. MotorTrend tested a NON-sport M35. Hence why I find it odd that the numbers between the sport and non-sport would be so close. In fact, according to what MT published - the non-sport was faster in the slalom - that just doesn't make sense.

I realize tires make a key difference and there are other factors but again - I just think the sport would always be on top. This is nothing more then a observation I found odd.

So, is the general conclusion the that sport just "feels" better?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Well, you are comparing apples to oranges since both the mass over the front axle and the tires are different, as well as the drivers and surfaces.

i.e. - there is no control of the variables to make a meaningful comparison using this data.

bb-m35

yeah I know - it's just that I had a 330i Sport which a 325i non-sport wouldn't be able to touch in the turns. Just struck me as odd. Thanks for your comments. I also like a car that can handle. For me going from a much smaller car to an M was going to be huge change - and the 330i was so tossable and accurate. The M35 handles well when pushed but its a different experience more relaxing and laid back. I don't feel the need to push it all the time to enjoy it. Probably get a few of those speeding tickets to drop off my record

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”