spontaneous no crank no start issue!?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
infinitepotential_J
Car: Black 1991 Nissan 300zx n/a 2+2 automatic

Hello im new to this forum and im seeking some help. I own a 1991 nissan 300zx 2+2 automatic with 36k miles on it. bought a few months ago here down in tampa Florida. one day I took it for a drive and parked it to head to the store, when I tried to turn it on, nothing happened no crank or start. i tried it a second time and it started up normally. it happened again with the same scenario drove it to store came back and this time it took several tries to start it, this happened several weeks later, during that time it started up and drove fine. one time it happened in my garage and I started it about 3 times and the 4th time it didn't want to start again. I decided to take battery out and get it checked at my nearest autozone. battery checked out being a good. when i put battery back on it ended up starting up again normally, i tried starting it up and shutting off several times and I gave up after 7 tries to replicate issue. Just wondering if anyone has been thru this issue before or where should I keep looking to diagnose this spontaneous issue. currently it is not starting again. thank you and any advice would helpful.

Camwinning
Car: Nissan 300zx twin Turbo 1990 fairlady Z

not 100 percent on this but i had a similar issue and it turned out to be my fusible link. Give it a look and you will see if it looks burnt or not.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

infinitepotential_J wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm
Hello im new to this forum and im seeking some help. I own a 1991 nissan 300zx 2+2 automatic with 36k miles on it. bought a few months ago here down in tampa Florida. one day I took it for a drive and parked it to head to the store, when I tried to turn it on, nothing happened no crank or start. i tried it a second time and it started up normally. it happened again with the same scenario drove it to store came back and this time it took several tries to start it, this happened several weeks later, during that time it started up and drove fine. one time it happened in my garage and I started it about 3 times and the 4th time it didn't want to start again. I decided to take battery out and get it checked at my nearest autozone. battery checked out being a good. when i put battery back on it ended up starting up again normally, i tried starting it up and shutting off several times and I gave up after 7 tries to replicate issue. Just wondering if anyone has been thru this issue before or where should I keep looking to diagnose this spontaneous issue. currently it is not starting again. thank you and any advice would helpful.
Sounds like what I was facing for some time until it went out- the starter solenoid. When my Z guy did the work he said under testing it began to work again once or twice, then went back to dead- he said that he's been seeing quite a few solenoids from all series of Z cars lately so apparently it's more than just the Z32 solenoids. Anyway, get that checked/replaced and you should be good to go.
There is also a factory service manual you can download from the "Everything you need to know...Z32" sticky art the top of the page that has tests and such for this and other problems.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

A sticky Park position safety switch will also cause a not start for Auto tans. Next time this happens, move leaver to the N position and try start. With the brakes depressed of coarse.

Do you have power at all to the car when this happens, ie all the dash lights come on but no crank? or nothing at all when trying to start? Does the yellow security light blink?

Another possibility is the ignition switch, unlikely with the low mileage but possible.

infinitepotential_J

itsa300zx wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 am
A sticky Park position safety switch will also cause a not start for Auto tans. Next time this happens, move leaver to the N position and try start. With the brakes depressed of coarse.

Do you have power at all to the car when this happens, ie all the dash lights come on but no crank? or nothing at all when trying to start? Does the yellow security light blink?

Another possibility is the ignition switch, unlikely with the low mileage but possible.
I actually tried that the other day and didnt seem to work. and power works as far as dash lights, headlights, horn, radio. when i try to turn on, the security lights turns off for a bit then comes on and blinks.

infinitepotential_J

DCaff300ZX
Hey so im definitely going to get the solenoid checked for sure. i will keep updates as soon as get it done.
thank you so much for the replies!

infinitepotential_J

So update I ended up getting a yellow top optimum battery and when I tried to start it, no luck until the third try when it started right up. Next ima check the started then ignition switch. Any other ideas just let me know guys. Thank you

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”