Spoiler/Hatch help needed

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ddave83

Here's the situation. I hope you guys can help me out.

My father-in-law has a '90 240SX fastback (with 280,000 miles!). The spoiler is badly warped on the top and cracked on the bottom (where the bolts/screws hold it to the hatch). I'm going to replace it for him the next time I travel out to see him. I think the cracking problem at the mounting points is because he is using the spoiler to open the rear hatch. When he turns the key, he can hear a click, but the hatch does not move. Should the hatch pop up when he turns the key so he can reach under the lip and lift the hatch? Should the gas struts be causing the hatch to lift up a little, or is there some sort of spring in the lock mechanism that pops the hatch? Is this a common problem with an easy fix. I realize this is a pretty simple question (How does the hatch open?), but the car is 2500 miles away. I don't want to replace the spoiler only to have him break it again because something else is wrong.

The next issue is how is the spoiler attached to the hatch. From what he's described, he can see some screws or bolts where the spoiler is cracked. Access to the fasteners appears to be through a carpeted trim panel on the hatch. When I get to the car, and remove that trim panel, what am I going to find. Are there fasteners screws, bolts, or something else (special clips?). What tools will I need to get this job done? (I can't take too much with me, and he does not have ANY tools.) Is this an easy job, to remove and replace the spoiler on this car?

Finally, does anyone know the paint code for 1990 silver?

Thanks!

1991240xs

I have the same problem..i still dunno how it's supposed to open..but I do know the spoiler is attached with four nuts(if i remember correctly)...just get a replacement and bolt it right back in where the old one was..(i prefer mine without the spoiler)-

WhItES13

I have that same problem with my spoiler about to have to replace it just hope there is not no holes rusted through the hatch!! Then i will have to go to the junkyard and look for a hatch with no rust!!!

stretch240sx

hey its simple. all the 240's i have seen do not open on thier own. you pop the trunk and it still looks like its closed. you just have to use some elbow greese to lift it

keep on keepin on:ylsuper :moon

jefferson240
Car: soccer, cars

The spoiler on the back of the s13's are purley cosmetic. their made of foam and after years in the sun they will warp and crack. They do nothing for your performace, and i think the s13 looks better without a rear spoiler. (gives it a stealthy look) I want to take mine off, but my question is how do I fill in the holes left from the screws in the hatch. do I half to bondo then paint over them or are their some caps I could put in to make it look normal.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

I have owned two 91 Hatchbacks.my first was a non SE without the spoiler, when the key turned it poped a itty bitty bit.but with the spoiler....not at all, the thing weighs a ton and holds the hatch down.i think that is just pretty common.

-Dan

boMex

Reading this post makes me happy that I have a coupe with the plastic spoiler, instead of the foam one :D

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

boMex wrote:Reading this post makes me happy that I have a coupe with the plastic spoiler, instead of the foam one :D
:Werd Coupe = good. hahaha

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

odd my car is SE and has no wing.. but.. anyways.. the hatch is heavy as hell and.. doesnt open at all when i pop it.. also u have to slam it hard when u close it or it wont close and the lights will stay on and.. the battery will go dead (happened to me the 4th day of me gettin my car.. hah)

stretch240sx

yeah well im glad i got a hatch that has no wing so HA.

i have never had to slam the hatch. it always closed for me .

1dollar240

I recently removed my spoiler and the damn thing has 10 fasteners. Yes, 10. Im not exaggerating. It has some standard bolts that you can access from the inside of the trunk and then it has some plastic clips that you just have to pull hard to pop off. When i took mine off I found 4 rust holes about 3 inches across. Right now they are covered with duct tape. Untill i can afford a new hatch. Damn Nissan with their crappy foam psuedo spoiler.

But hey, thats what i get for buying a dollar car.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”