Spoiler adhesive remover?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Woodnutz78
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT MT

For any of you who have removed an early TT OEM spoiler, what solvent have you used to get the foam tape and residue off? I’ve seen that 3M adhesive remover works well, but I wanted to know if you know of anything else, as that stuff doesn’t seem to be readily available... at least ‘round these parts.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Woodnutz78 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 pm
For any of you who have removed an early TT OEM spoiler, what solvent have you used to get the foam tape and residue off? I’ve seen that 3M adhesive remover works well, but I wanted to know if you know of anything else, as that stuff doesn’t seem to be readily available... at least ‘round these parts.
Whenever I get to mine, I was going to talk to my paint and body guy about his solutions since the main issue is not ruining your paint/ccoat but still enough "ooomph" to get the job done. I imagine citrus solvents and other similar types may work best, if time consuming to avoid softening your paint, but maybe other products have come about or may be available only through a body/paint shop.

Woodnutz78

I gave Goo Gone a shot this afternoon - didn’t seem to do much after letting it work for a few minutes. I then tried WD-40, it did a decent job loosening the foam and softening the glue, but it still takes a good amount of gentle scraping (I used a plastic trim tool). I can see putting in 8 hours into doing the whole thing. Yanking the spoiler did take small sections of clearcoat with it here and there. More to come...

Woodnutz78

This was right after I ripped it off - quite a thing of beauty:

Woodnutz78

...and after treatments of heat, WD-40, Goo Gone and a heavy application of elbow grease:

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Nice!
Looks like things are coming along pretty well, can't wait to see it when you are done! :dblthumb:

Woodnutz78

With the amount of cleanup/filling/paint that would need to be done (the line that traces the edge of the OEM one just isn't going away), I may shift gears and just bite the bullet for one of the Kuruma Z replica spoilers - trying to see if CZP or Z1 will have a sale. It helps when the Mrs. says, "Happy Birthday!" when I talked cost comparison. Still a little up in the air, as yours mated up pretty well when I bolted it on. We'll see... I'm not in a huge rush right now, and I did pick up some white nylon plugs that I'll silione in place of the duct tape.

Woodnutz78

Off topic, but enjoyed a quick weekend getaway in Houston with the Mrs. for my brother's wedding. Always nice to see family that I haven't seen in years. Perfect timing, as we got 8" of snow on Thursday. 70 degrees and sunny when we landed. Oh how I miss Whataburger! Back in PA now - the full-blown spoiler replacement will be put on hold until the springtime, so for now I'll clean it up and thrown in some nylon plugs in place of the duct tape and move on to higher-priority tasks and some low-hanging fruit (one-piece clutch line & pedal adjust, shifter bushings, etc.).

Petcha
Car: 300ZX z32 92 TT 2+2 Aztec red
300ZX z32 92 TT 2+2 Ultra red

whizzy wheel?

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”