Spinning tires in reverse on an incline - will that kill a transmission???

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

For those of you who have been following the damage on Q1 from her wreck last week...

zerothread?id=153122

...there is a new wrinke. The body shop at the dealership said that the car would "barely move" as if the transmission is slipping.

When the car was towed from the accident scene - the truck operator backed it on to the flat bed at a very steep angle. The bed was wet due to a brake fluid leak from a prior tow (he hosed it off, but the bed was wet) so he spun the rear wheels A LOT trying to get it up on the truck.

Would all of this spinning - especially at that angle - have trashed my transmission?

Thanks,

Heath

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

No way, especially since you have a tranny cooler.....

I have spun my tires for longer periods of time either getting un-stuck from snow or drifting... The trans doesnt care if your moving or not, it just needs sufficient cooling... As long he wasnt spinning the tires for like 30 mins straight at the redline, i wouldnt be worried.

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

From personal experience….I would say that there might be a correlation. There have been at least 6 documented cases on NICO where reverse gear went out yet all forward gears work fine without ever a prior warning. It sounds like your situation is a little different in that it will not go forward? In my case I was showing off the night before hammering the throttle while in reverse (I had done this many times before) but this time the next morning the car drove off fine in forward drive (backed it into a parking spot showing off the night before) but then would not go into reverse. Reverse would not engage unless I pushed the car backwards and then it would catch and reverse would work. I drove in drive for 2 weeks without a problem just in drive….reverse never worked and so I got my tranny rebuilt. My situation is a little different, but I did do a nice reverse burn out and then the very next day there went the tranny to the crapper.

A lot of unexplained things seem to always happen after an accident that don't seem significantly related to one another.

Jesda

Weird. I did a couple burnouts in drive, but I did have a large trans cooler installed.

chinaonnitrous
Car: 2002 Maxima to 2004 Evoloution to 1992 Integra

Jesda wrote:Weird. I did a couple burnouts in drive, but I did have a large trans cooler installed.

nice to see my car has been abused...

hahahhaaha, can't do burn outs now. For some reason Bridgestone So-3's just got put on the rear tires.....

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

Never have spun the tires on mine.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I visited the car today, and I have another theory. There is a large wiring harness that runs between the fender apron (inner fender) and the fender. I believe this feeds the TCU. I wouldn't be surprised if the TCU was not functioning properly due to some sort of damage to the harness. I tried to do the self-diagnostic on the transmission, but could not get it to work. I'll go back with my service manual tomorrow. The body shop guys said that it wouldn't have that effect, but I wouldn't be surprised. These guys didn't notice the fender apron damage either - which I saw it the first time I opened the hood... Something had to move to break the air box!

From what the guy who drove it in described, it almost sounded like the car was trying to move in 4th gear or something. If that's the case, there's no telling how much damage was done to an otherwise perfect transmission.

I'll post pics in the other thread in a few minutes.

Heath

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Heath, that harness is not for the TCU.. The TCU harness goes down the drivers side rocker panel, under the seat, and into the tunnel...

however if the tranny is in failsafe it will start in 3rd gear.

Q451990

Problem appears to be electrical... won't perform self-test. I did a better description here: zerothread?id=153122

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”