Spider cracks in oil pan

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
EdGs

I am halfway through replacing the timing chains in my 2000 Altima GXE (180k miles), and while I was cleaning the oil pan, I noticed quite a few spider cracks in the bottom of it. There is cracking inside and out in the same areas, and I don't believe this is normal. However, I can believe this can happen due to water splashing there from puddles and such when the engine is hot.

I have not priced a replacement yet, but am strapped and need to get this car reassembled and running ASAP.

The car does has not been using alot of oil except when the valve cover gasket was leaking. That was resolved about 8 months ago. When I first removed the pan, I did not notice that it was grimier than any other area or wetter with oil, but I just don't want to get it fixed and have that let go (if that is possible). I have also toyed with the thought of giving it a good cleaning and putting some JB weld on the affected areas at least for the short term.

It will suck to have to remove it again later, but not nearly as bad as this chain job has been.

I can't seem to post any pics, not sure why.

Opinions? Thanks

Razi
Car: Moo

I wouldn't trust JB weld that much.

Closing it up with an actual welder would be best though.

You could take it to an exhaust shop and ask them to go over the cracks, they shouldn't ask for much.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”