Speedometer/odometer

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
lindselle24
Car: spending time with my car

Sometimes my speedometer craps out and that makes the odometer not work either. Could there be a loose conection somewhere? It eventually starts working again. I haven't been able to determine if anything is triggering it, but it seems to happen when my rpm's are at a constant 2. 5 or so... then start working once i gun it a little.. but that could just be coincidence cuz i like to kick it in the *** everyonce ina while. Any ideas?

NISTECH

couple of things could be causeing it. The connection under the hood for the pick up wheel could be loose. The pick up wheel is located on the trans close to where the right[passenger side] axel comes out of the trans on top near the fire wall. follow its 2 wires from the pickup to where it plugs into a gray connector make sure that connection is ok. You will need to remove your air box to make it easier.

The other problem and more likely problem is the speed sensor it self [ part of the speedometer head] You probably have a bad connection on the circuit board. We usually replace the speedo to repair this. Our shop doesnt permit us to make circuit repairs like that for liability reasons. Nissan will warrenty the new one parts and labor for 12 months. But labor is only covered if a dealer does it.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”