Speedometer issues SOLVED!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
rhillman75
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4

Some of you may remember my posts about having a failed speedometer and odometer with the other guages working fine. Well... after 1 week of testing wires, continuity, resistance, tracing, replacing 2 ECU computers, 2 speedometer heads, and 1 vehicle speed sensor. It all came down to the plastic gear on the vehicle speed sensor itself. That little f*cking gear had one tooth completely knocked off causing the entire issue. Now here is the part where you have to have a beer and say ahhhhhhh f*********ck. The entire cost I have in all of the above is $600.00 plus. Guess how much the little plastic gear was? Drum roll pleaseeeeeeeeeeee....... it was a grand total of $9.96 with my dealer discount. I also forgot that Infiniti charged me one days worth of "labor" to retrace my steps at a discount of about $396.00! What a f*cking deal! :rotfl

Pwnin O'Brien

Damn, glad that's fixed. Here's a question tho, when you replaced the VSS with a new one, didn't that come with a new gear?

rhillman75

No the vehicle speed sensor did not come with the gear. I called Infiniti and Autozone. It was $310.31 from the dealer and $202.40 from Autozone. Both came without gears. The gears are seperate because I was told they fail before the sensor does.

WPGQX4
Car: 1998 Qx4

Would have been nice if they would have told you that in the first place. You could have saved a bunch of money and time.

rhillman75

Yeah I totally agree...but in hindsight...I can enjoy some cocktails on my couch now knowing that my f*cking speedometer works now versus the last several months! Look at the bright side...I know every square inch of the QX4 frame, body, electrical, etc...if I ever need to know a suitable way to blow it up so I can cover it under insurance. I may be trying that soon if I have another issue so I can recoup at least some money back! :rotfl

2 Coupes
Car: Mine- 03 QX4
Hers- 07 FX35

I am right there with you on this my Odometer has not been working for 2k miles. I have to replace the tiny gear in my 94 volvo this weekend. Glad you got it figured out.

p.vella2

Good info. !

where might I locate the gear in the trans? Why would the tach work and not the speedodometr if it wasn't a wheel sensor. I have the same issue and I need some additional help.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

ewallace978
Car: Nissan Pathfinder

I'm having a similar problem, either my speedometer flutters or is simply dead, but even my mechanic couldn't find the problem. Is the gear behind the dash or under the chassis?
I have a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

p.vella2 wrote:Why would the tach work and not the speedodometr if it wasn't a wheel sensor?
Tach counts spark pulses. Different sensor.

Chuck

JohnnyB3
Car: 1997 Pathfinder SE

Wow....glad I did a search on this. My speed sensor quit January of 2010 and I have been putting it off due to the labor involved and estimated cost of the sensor. I still plan on ripping open the transfer case to find this sucker so its good to know it may only be the gear. Thanks!

stevee
Car: Infinity QX4 2002

Hi Rillman75,

I was searching for some answers as to how to fix my failed speedometer and ran across your postings - hilarious! My problem may be the same as what you experienced . . . everything on the dash panel works except the speedometer. You say that you eventually determined you just had to cange the little wheel - my question to you is - how do you get at the back of the speedometer to access the little wheel. I haven't attempted many vehicle repairs in the past but the dealership rates are highway robbery. Please help!!!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

stevee wrote:Hi Rillman75,

I was searching for some answers as to how to fix my failed speedometer and ran across your postings - hilarious! My problem may be the same as what you experienced . . . everything on the dash panel works except the speedometer. You say that you eventually determined you just had to cange the little wheel - my question to you is - how do you get at the back of the speedometer to access the little wheel. I haven't attempted many vehicle repairs in the past but the dealership rates are highway robbery. Please help!!!
To remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle, follow the steps in this thread. As for further disassembly, I don't have any experience with that, but I can't imagine it would be awfully difficult. EL-130 may help you.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Can anyone provide specifics on what this little wheel is and where it is and how to get to it.... I have the problem with the speedo, but all else works. Hopefully this can solve my problem.

Mikeinf514
Car: Nissan 300zx z32
Cadillac STS
Jeep Wrangler YJ
Toyota Tacoma
Infinity QX4

Where can you get that gear? because i was driving my 2000 qx4 and my speedometer odometer and rpm's dropped at once... please let me know asap!!!! thanks

bawalsh
Car: 2001 Frontier 2wd 2.4L Auto

Wanted to give an update to this thread.

Left my truck sitting awhile, came back, speedometer stopped working after a little driving and the transmission seemingly was acting up. I knew right away this must be a sensor.. perhaps my cat codes were causing too much backflow? Speedo separate issue? After a bit of time on the google, it looks like it goes - driveshaft > speed sensor speedo pinion gear > speed sensor > wiring harness > fuses > instrument cluster > ECU.

Unplugged the sensor and tested the voltages while driving down the street with a multi meter clipped onto the two male pieces within the plug. No voltage being produced. Must be the sensor!

Attempted to remove sensor, broke it off completely within the tranny. Sheered flush. F***.

Paid $50 and got it removed. Found out the gear inside was stripped flat in 3 places (possibly due to the sensor locking up), so new internal pinion/gear needed. Dealership said $40 for the little piece of plastic. Unbelievable.

Part is coming in tomorrow. Lets hope it's the same 20-tooth orange-red gear. I'll plug in the new gear and speed sensor tomorrow and everything should work perfect again.

Total cost: $125 speed sensor, $50 removal, $40 gear

Wwaterman
Car: 1996 Pathfinder

Alright, my speedometer/odometer just quit preceeded by an electrical burning smell. Anyone know where I can get some diagrams? 1996 nissan pathfinder.

Wwaterman
Car: 1996 Pathfinder

And then the alternator died the next day (it was on it's last leg). Go figure.

wreckless17
Car: 94 q45

where is this sensor and gear located

wreckless17
Car: 94 q45

i can never get a straight answer as to where this sensor and gear are 01 qx4 because ive pulled out the revolution sensor and the turbine sensor but cant find the one with the gear does it exist

D_0202
Car: '97 Nissan Pathfinder XE

Where did you buy that gear for the odometer and what is the part name? When I have been looking nobody seems to know what part I am looking for...

GeekdadPM
Car: 2001 QX4

wreckless17 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 am
i can never get a straight answer as to where this sensor and gear are 01 qx4 because ive pulled out the revolution sensor and the turbine sensor but cant find the one with the gear does it exist
I’ve been trying to solve the same mystery on my daughter's 01 Infiniti QX4 RWD for months. Can anyone SHOW US/GUIDE US to where this is? I’ve been under the truck countless times, searching on the rear passenger side (and driver's side) of the tranny where the repair manuals mentions - NOTHING! Took it to Infiniti dealer and they pointed to the revolution sensor I already found. Then, they suggested trying to replace the instrument cluster. Did that and it’s worse! What used to be an intermittent speedometer failure with following abs light (all other gauges working) is now no speedometer with abs light on at startup.

PLEASE HELP!! I'm so desperate, I will Venmo you if your guide/real life photos help!!!

qx4_girl
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4

Can we find out where we can find this gear, and where it's located?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

qx4_girl wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm
Can we find out where we can find this gear, and where it's located?
Read the posts carefully the info is in there. Both people ordered the gear from the dealership. The OP got a discount because he works at the dealership, the other paid the full price of $40. I've highlighted the info of where the gear should be located. Please note that this is NOT an easy DIY job.
bawalsh wrote:
Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 am
Wanted to give an update to this thread.

Left my truck sitting awhile, came back, speedometer stopped working after a little driving and the transmission seemingly was acting up. I knew right away this must be a sensor.. perhaps my cat codes were causing too much backflow? Speedo separate issue? After a bit of time on the google, it looks like it goes - driveshaft > speed sensor speedo pinion gear > speed sensor > wiring harness > fuses > instrument cluster > ECU.

Unplugged the sensor and tested the voltages while driving down the street with a multi meter clipped onto the two male pieces within the plug. No voltage being produced. Must be the sensor!

Attempted to remove sensor, broke it off completely within the tranny. Sheered flush. F***.

Paid $50 and got it removed. Found out the gear inside was stripped flat in 3 places (possibly due to the sensor locking up), so new internal pinion/gear needed. Dealership said $40 for the little piece of plastic. Unbelievable.

Part is coming in tomorrow. Lets hope it's the same 20-tooth orange-red gear. I'll plug in the new gear and speed sensor tomorrow and everything should work perfect again.

Total cost: $125 speed sensor, $50 removal, $40 gear

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”