Speedometer issue

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
djwoodypa

Since it seems that there are tons of people out there who have experienced the speedometer issue that is very common in the 240 ... I'm interested in talking to people who have actually corrected the issue. Currently my speedometer says I'm going 15mph ... all the time ... except on those rare occasions where it wakes up and registers 90 instead. I refuse to take it to the Nissan dealer because I'm confident that I'll be told that the part I need is $300 instead of $60. Can someone who has actually solved this issue give me the specifics of what you did? Where you got the parts? etc.Also the vehicle's prior owner decided to cut the resonator out of the factory exhaust system ... so it sounds like a lawnmower and I can detect an odor which leads me to believe they didn't do a great job buttoning things up. I live in PA and this car has to pass emissions ... any ideas/tips on what I can do to kill the noise and bring an 89 up to emissions?

Thanks in advance ...

S14 Stud

I'd just get another spedo. cluster off ebay. BUT I don't know if that'd solve the problem

AunVoh

i'd pull out the cluster and trace the speedo line and make sure it isn't ripped or missing in any area's, i had a car do that kid of thing, it just wasn't pluged in all the way.

djwoodypa

The dash has been pulled out and verified that the speedometer line was connected correctly ... aside from the possibility that something is bared along the way.

The trip to the dealership today just left me very irritated ... instead of explaining why I needed something and listening to what I had to give them, they were only worried about making as much money as they could off me. When they realized that I had some intelligence and knew what I was talking about the guy actually said "Well it sounds like you're a good enough mechanic ... why don't you just fix it yourself" in a really sarcastic tone.

S14 Stud

ahh hell being a teenager most "mechanics" think I have no friggin clue what I am talking about and that I am just another pretty boy driving a car their parents bought trying to rice it out, and look at me like a complete moron so I know how that feels. But after I explain to them in details what the problem might be and possible solutions, I get some respect. I usually don't put up with their crap, I just become an a** to them and just walk out...that's what you should have done man

AunVoh

most of the time it comes out from the tranny, so thats something to look into, some times when it still works somewhat but not all the way, it just means that it's popped up a little bit and you can just push it back down.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”