Speedometer cable

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
ruapilot
Car: 1986 Z31 GLL NT

Hey guys, new poster to the forum. Long time Nissan 300zx owner. I have an 86 GLL NT analog dash. I have decided to fix a long time problem to get the car safetied. In my reading it appears my speed sensor and oil in the speedometer cable may have been the problem. I replaced the speed sensor as suggested. I also checked the back of the gauge cluster for fluid. My question is it looks likes there is grease in the cable. It was all over the back of the mount for the cable to the dash as well. Is it supposed to be greased or is it gummed transmission fluid? I'm wanting to put it back together but need to know if I need to re grease it again. I wiped it out thinking it didn't belong. Thanks guys.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Mechanical speedo cables are supposed to have grease.

ruapilot
Car: 1986 Z31 GLL NT

Hey guys, to follow up i still have the same issue. I have decided to retry fixing the speedo issue. So far, i have replaced speedometer cable, pinion. I checked gauge and it was clean. Im at a loss. I have even pulled the cable out of the pinion and hooked to a drill. The speedo worked perfectly. I have replaced the gear in the new pinion as well just in case. Still no luck. It will bounce around when i drive and then after a few minutes of going slow it seems to catch. Then its fine for the rest of the day. Till i leave the car overnight. Next day seems to do the same thing. Is it possible its something in transmission? Could it be cluster even though it runs perfectly on a drill? Any feedback is appreciated. I have read some comments about a speed sensor on a analog dash, driverside strut area. Is this true, i cant seem to find anything?

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”