Speedometer and Fuel System Questions - 94 Sentra

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
joes240

I'm thinking of getting a `94 Sentra from a friend; it's a fixerupper, but it's a good price.

He discovered in the fuel tank "a basket like thing where the fuel pump sits in" which was not letting fuel pass through it properly, to fix the problem, he drilled a small hole into the basket-like apparatus and fuel pumped fine, allowing the car to run fine. Another friend of mine was looking at the car for me and said that is not good, that I should get that part (whatever it's called) replaced, otherwise any dirt in the fuel tank could wind up in the injectors. Can anyone give me a second opinion on this, or what the part is called?

Also, the speedometer in the car stopped working one day after he went out and started the car up after it hadn't been started in a few weeks. Is that year Sentra controlled by a speedometer cable or a speed sensor/head?

We also discovered that the front flashers/blinkers sometimes flash alot faster than they're supposed to, and sometimes flash fine... any ideas here?

Thanks in advance for any input folks!

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Well I not sure on the fule and spedo questions.Torry may be able to hellp you out there though.The flashers and turns flashing fast is usually a sigh that you have a bulb out.Check all of those and see if that helps.I also moved this to the Technical forums so that maby we can get you some answers.Good Luck with your new toy.

joes240

Cool, thanks for moving it here man. =)

Anyone have any ideas?With the blinker thing... both blinkers are doing it... would it be both bulbs you think?

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Well thats the first place that I would check.I had one that was out and it did that blink fast thing.

joes240

Anyone else have input on the other issues?

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

joes240 wrote:He discovered in the fuel tank "a basket like thing where the fuel pump sits in" which was not letting fuel pass through it properly, to fix the problem, he drilled a small hole into the basket-like apparatus and fuel pumped fine, allowing the car to run fine. Another friend of mine was looking at the car for me and said that is not good, that I should get that part (whatever it's called) replaced, otherwise any dirt in the fuel tank could wind up in the injectors. Can anyone give me a second opinion on this, or what the part is called?

That sounds to me like it's the diaphragm. Yes, that needs to be replaced...not a whole drilled in it. And without that there, and dirt that can fit through the fuel line will be likely sucked up and on a path towards the injectors (bad thing).

Quote »Also, the speedometer in the car stopped working one day after he went out and started the car up after it hadn't been started in a few weeks. Is that year Sentra controlled by a speedometer cable or a speed sensor/head?[/quote]There is a speedometer cable on the tranny.

Quote »We also discovered that the front flashers/blinkers sometimes flash alot faster than they're supposed to, and sometimes flash fine... any ideas here?

Thanks in advance for any input folks! [/quote]

Check your bulbs. If all the bulbs are good, check to see you have the right kind of bulbs (should be single element bulbs for the turn signals). If all is still good, you have a short somewhere.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”