Speedo

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Nick_240
Car: Playing guitar, and cars

Konnichiwa everybody, I have had some problems with my speedometer, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I was wondering if any body else had the same problem. My friend has the same problem. Is it a short, is it a ground, or just a loose wire...

Thanks...

:thinker

supervasil
Car: '90 s13

You know, I have the EXACT same problem on my stock S13. I was just going to post a thread asking the same question, but you beat me to it. :) My speedo works randomly, sometimes if I rev the engine hard enough, the speedo would kick in. Other times if I'm driving @ 50-60 mph, and I bang on the dashboard out of frustration, the speedo would come back to life - so its really wierd. The fact that it works sometimes when I get pissed off and wack the dashboard led me to tearing up my dashboard and removing the speedometer housing (paing in the ***!) to see if there's a loose wire or something. Nope, its all digital and I really couldnt do anything about it. I've heard that some that have bad speedometer sensors (located at the tranny), so thats the next thing I have to check out. Till then, "I swear officer, I wasn't speeding - i was going 0 mph!" :D

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

I have the same problem, but not im my 240. Its in my 85 Porsche 944. Sometimes when i start the car the speedo doesnt come on at all, but if i whack the cluster it comes to life. If this is the same for you, i wouldnt imagine its something in the transmission, since whacking on the cluster doesnt do anything to the transmission. About the only thing i could suggest is pull the cluster and check the printed circuit board on the back for any cracks in the lines. If so, you may try to flow some new solder over it.Another question: when your speedo isnt working, does your odometer or tripometer work? if so, then it should definately be in the dash. If not, its on the transmission. Good luck!

1991240xs

I got a diff. question about the speedo. Mine will jump around..and is sometimes constantly 10 above what I'm actually running...s13 hatch-

SRdS14
Car: Workin on my car, chillin with friends, basically whatever...

man...my speedo was just jumping around one day..eventually dying out. i replaced the speed sensor on the tranny, that wasn't it....i also have a boost controller (avc.r) that shows speed, that also doesn't work, so it must be something in the wiring (no **** right??) we need to find out...plus, i wonder if there was ever a recall on something like this...~Scott

supervasil
Car: '90 s13

Well, I actually did take out the entire speedometer cluster at one point. The printed circuit board seemed........uh.... OK to me. I mean, nothing was obviousely borken or torn, but other than that I couldn't do anything - its all electronics. I got so pissed off trying to put my dashboard back together that I made a vow never to touch the speedo cluster again. You gotta understand, I was to a point of grabbing a baseball bat and wacking the damn thing cause it wouldnt go in! :mad: So I ain't touching that thing again. Luckily with the speedometer working or not, the odometer and trip always work! How difficult is it to check the voltage on the speedo sensor at the tranny? Do I have to take the transmission fluid out? Thanks guys.

drjohn

These all sound like classic speedo head problems which require the replacement of the speedo head. The intermittent working and the hitting of the dash and jumping.

s13Chickee

hey everyone, im new to the forum crew!

my digital speedometer starts only for the first 10 secs when i start the car and then disappears! Everything else in the dash works fine so i have no clue what's wrong with it. I called a speedometer repair shop and asked them what was wrong with it and they said it could be the power module (..???..)

well if any one figures out the problem pls post!

Sygerwulf
Car: 91 240SX SE

S13Chickee this is completely off the topic, but I'm guessing you're a girl?

btw I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he suggested the speedometer head too.

Daunttless

There are companies that just repair speedometers?

Sygerwulf
Car: 91 240SX SE

Heh Sinor Bubba's Speedy Speedo's Spedometer Repair Shop :D

sorry couldn't resist lol

Nick_240
Car: Playing guitar, and cars

Has anyone replaced the head, and it worked right. Mine seems to work after I have driven around for 45 min or so but still seem to work intermittenly....

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

ah hmmm... i had this prob before, in my previous car, a Geo Prizm 93', same exact thing occurred, speedo would be at 0 until i got around 50 mph (by judging how fast others were going) and it would magically come on, the only thing that worked was getting a new speedo --well, it wasn't new per se--probably from a salvaged Prizm. I recommend the same.

As for the hud, s13chickee, could be a blown fuse or worse, i'd take it to a nissan-specific shop and see if they can do something. I've heard from a 300zx dealer, that if you catch it early, when it flickers, it's much easier to fix...probably bs. I'd check the 240sx.org faq's too.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”