speed sensors need "reset"?...same part for "old" and "new" model 2015's?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ObsessiveDad
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

speed sensors need "reset"?...same part for "old" and "new" model 2015's?

Postby ObsessiveDad » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:25 pm

Just finished a wheel bearing, and replaced the speed sensor. Test drive got the warning light party, AWD and Chassis control errors, ABS Light, traction light, tpms light. I had two sensors so I tried the other one "just in case" and got all the same errors. Car seemed to drive fine on the test, I was too busy listening/feeling for wheel noise to make sure all was well with the new bearing...didn't even notice all the lights until a km or two out.

They are these https://www.amazon.ca/Premium-Sensor-Co ... pons&psc=1
which are "supposed" to be correct for my vehicle, right down the "built in korea". I read about folks having success with the generic china sensors at $20 each over $100 each, so I'm guessing I got "unlucky", unless there's some key sequence or reader/tool or something required to reset/read the new sensor?
I've also ran into issues with 2015 model year parts where the same part has a "2015 and older" and "2015 and newer" variation...had to drive 3 hours to exchange a wheel bearing after I was given the wrong one.
Has anyone else had that issue with speed sensors? They fit perfect, same connector. But there is obviously something wrong.

VStar650CL
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: speed sensors need "reset"?...same part for "old" and "new" model 2015's?

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:41 pm

There's no programming for ABS sensors, they either work or they don't. If your new hub wasn't OE, it's entirely possible the problem is in the hub and not the sensor. If you still have the OE sensor and that gives you errors, I'd bet on a bad hub.

ObsessiveDad

Postby ObsessiveDad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:07 am

Hm, so you're saying there's more inside the hub than just a bearing? Something that communicates with the ABS sensor I guess? Of course I'd get a bad one...this has turned into one of those jobs.

First attempt, couldn't get the axle nut off, rust had fused it to the axle. 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 6' leverage bar could barely turn it, and I could feel that I was tearing through threads.
Another 1.5hr trip to dealer for new axle nuts.
Got the nut cut off and managed to fix up the remaining threads to get the new nut back on, holes don't line up on the hub...they gave me the hub for the "old" 2015.
Another 1.5hr trip back to parts shop to get the new hub.
And looks like another one coming up!

Sorry, had to rant.

I think you're right, looks like a bad ABS sensor will only throw the ABS light, not the chassis and AWD errors. Anything I can do test it for sure other than replace it with another?

ObsessiveDad

Postby ObsessiveDad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:26 am

Forgot, I'm also getting an error for the collision system sensors...if that helps or changes anything.

ObsessiveDad

Postby ObsessiveDad » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:14 am

Ah, tone ring must be bad. Someone I know is heading that way on Friday, they're going to pick up the replacement. I'll report back when I get it installed.

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:18 am

ObsessiveDad wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:07 am
Hm, so you're saying there's more inside the hub than just a bearing? Something that communicates with the ABS sensor I guess? Of course I'd get a bad one...this has turned into one of those jobs.
Yes, there's a reluctor or "tone" wheel inside the hub with teeth that rotate past the sensor to trigger it. Because it's a reluctance sensor, the gap between the sensor and teeth is fairly critical, Nissan gives us a blinky-light tool we use to check them, if there's a missing tooth or other problem with the wheel you get an interrupted or syncopated blink pattern.
ObsessiveDad wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:07 am
I think you're right, looks like a bad ABS sensor will only throw the ABS light, not the chassis and AWD errors. Anything I can do test it for sure other than replace it with another?
There's a pretty good chance the chassis and AWD errors are derivative, Most of the time those systems will throw a snit if the ABS stops sending a VSS signal, which it will whenever a wheel sensor fails.

ObsessiveDad

Postby ObsessiveDad » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:45 am

Installed the new hub, few minutes into the test drive errors and dash lights went away. seems to be all good now. thanks again

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:18 am

ObsessiveDad wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:45 am
Installed the new hub, few minutes into the test drive errors and dash lights went away. seems to be all good now. thanks again
You're most welcome. Happy motoring! :dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”