Speed Hut gauges for 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
nismo_tuner125
Car: datsun 510

i just placed an order for EL glow gauges for my 510, and i've been reading about how to install it. (first off i'm pretty new to dealing with electrical systems in cars and pretty new to dealing with a lot of this tuning stuff i really want to get into, so all the help i can get is greatly appreciated). dimequarterly.com says

"Each of the gauge faces has a lead that must be connected to the EL gauge inverter. (Which controls the color and intensity of the EL portion of the gauges.) I removed one of the stock dash illumination bulb holders and used that hole to route the wires to the inverter. The inverter requires a switched positive connection (that is controlled by the headlight switch) and a ground wire."

my question is about the switched positive connection as well as the ground wire. does the switched positive connection need to be merged into either the red, yellow (the covered one), or orange wire by any chance?? http://www.thelinkup.com/Share...7sva2

and the ground connection? does that have to tie in somewhere to the wiring harness or does it have to be connected the cars chassis (that's what makes it a ground connection right??)

the last question i have is for the temp and fuel gauges. the guy in the dimequarterly article says that he needed to use weather strip adhesive to hold the faces in place. but mine has 2 screws for each of the faces, so is the adhesive really necessary? if it helps i could take pics of that. also the needle on the temp/fuel gauges; how do you remove the needles so you can replace the faces w/o them in the way? or do you just have to replace it while they're there? cause it looks like they can't be removed.

i know that's alot, but any help w/ any of this would be greatly appreciated
Modified by nismo_tuner125 at 2:14 PM 6/1/2008

nismo_tuner125
Car: datsun 510

nvm, i got it. thanks guys...

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”