Speaker replacement

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Infinitiace1992
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45t KH1-C Ivory Quartz w/beige interior

I want to replace the speakers in my 91 Q45. The factory speakers are Bose. Has anyone replaced the speakers and not the factory radio ? I want to keep he factory radio head unit and just replace he speakers. Is that possible with Bose amplified speakers and if so, what’s a good replacement?

fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

If you're keeping the factory amp you want to match the resistance of the new speakers to the old ones. I believe the factory speakers in my 1997 are 2ohm. I put some 4ohm in the rear deck with disappointing results

macgiver

fontana is absolutely correct , Crutchfield has in the 'filter' , you pick 2 ohm , and Focal (very exp.) and couple other lower priced shows up and 1 or 2 of the results has efficiency of like 91+ db rated =efficient. I was going to put 4 Focal replacements .....but Juke's gone/smashed /totaled . Focals , FOUR would have been well over $$$ 625

Infinitiace1992

fontana dan wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:22 pm
If you're keeping the factory amp you want to match the resistance of the new speakers to the old ones. I believe the factory speakers in my 1997 are 2ohm. I put some 4ohm in the rear deck with disappointing results
I want to make the install as simple and easy as possible. Not looking for it to sound like a modern car with dozens of speakers. Just an upgrade as these speakers are 32 years old and a few sound really bad.

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

I installed PowerBass OE400 speakers in the doors and OE693 in the package shelf and have been pretty happy with them. They're 2 ohm speakers so they'll work with the factory Bose amplifiers, however the amps for the rear speakers won't attach to the bottom of the speaker magnets like they do the factory units so you'll have to get creative with mounting them. I ended up cutting down the original plastic buckets that the amps attach to and ziptied them to the magnets of the new speakers.

Infinitiace1992

Ryantzer wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:54 pm
I installed PowerBass OE400 speakers in the doors and OE693 in the package shelf and have been pretty happy with them. They're 2 ohm speakers so they'll work with the factory Bose amplifiers, however the amps for the rear speakers won't attach to the bottom of the speaker magnets like they do the factory units so you'll have to get creative with mounting them. I ended up cutting down the original plastic buckets that the amps attach to and ziptied them to the magnets of the new speakers.
Once again, Thank you Ryan for your outstanding help and support. I have a friend that is a Nissan engineer and one from Sirius/XM to help me with the install so hopefully one of two will be able to figure this out with relative ease.

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

The Bose amps and speakers are specifically designed to work with one another, matching the impedance isn't enough. I believe the front door speakers are just over 1 ohm. The system is similar to the sound system for the C4 Corvette, even uses similar amps. If you plan on installing aftermarket speakers, you're better off installing an aftermarket 4 channel amp, as well. I believe you can install 5 1/4 or even a 6.5 inch speaker in the front doors, dome tweeters in the pillars. The rears are 6x9 obviously. Of course you' have to convert the HU output to RCA in order to connect to an aftermarket amp. There is another option, which is having the speakers rebuilt. Company named carstereohelp repairs Bose amps and speakers. Not cheap, but it works and sounds like it was new. Here's the link:

https://www.carstereohelp.com/infiniti.htm

Infinitiace1992

Thanks cbird. After a little trial and error I bought new speakers but they didn’t have the Bose amplifier on them. After doing a test there was no improvement in sound. I ended up buying a “new” Clarion factory reman stereo head unit. That made a huge difference. I still have one front and one rear speaker that I will be sending out to get rebuilt as you mentioned. The original problem was very low volume along with static and whining which the rebuilding of the Bose amps should fix. That’s my winter project as the car goes in heated stop in November.

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

Where did you locate a reman head unit?

Infinitiace1992

I found it on eBay. $139. Including shipping. I just found the email. It came from Nationwide Auto recycling located in Lancaster MA
Last edited by Infinitiace1992 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

Infinitiace- you could try repairing the amps yourself, provided you know your way around a soldering iron. From what I understand, it usually is either the the two large capacitors or the 4 power transistors that go bad. You can get both from Mouser or Digikey. I've repaired a couple amps going that route. A real informative guide is this link to PDF. The C4 corvette and Acura NSX both have similar Bose audio amps, which this guy deep dived to repair. The only pain is the removing the clear conformal coating. I used a heat gun, tongue depressors, and lots of patience.

https://www.zr1netregistry.com/portals/0/bose2.pdf

Infinitiace1992

Wow thanks cbird. I guess I can try. My friend who helps me with a lot of these is a senior Nissan engineer who is incredibly handy and great with these projects and loves doing them.

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base

Hehe, he probably geek out over the Bose amp write up, then. The guy definitely sounds like an engineer. More information about Bose amps and sound system than anyone needs to know, but it's all there. Gotta love engineers that are car guys.

some more helpful links:

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/bose-a ... eo.203854/

https://www.nsxprime.com/threads/speake ... nt.215775/

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”