Speaker distortion

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

While I know many have a strong dislike for it, I like the Bose system in my EX. Trouble is I'm hearing some distortion and I can't figure out if I cranked it to 11 a couple too many times or if there's something else. It's a bit of a buzz/fuzz/static that doesn't seem to be isolated to a single speaker. It's worse when my phone is wired in.

Thoughts?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

On average car speakers seem to have a life span of around 10 years. Of course your results may vary, depending on mitigating factors.
Speakers have mechanical limits (a point beyond which you could overdrive or over exert them so much that you may see physical damage) and thermal limits (beyond which you may start to see burned voice coils.) When these limits are exceeded for extended periods of time due to excessive operation above the rms power rating or clipping that causes the supplied power to exceed to rated limits, it degrades the life of the speaker and can in some cases can kill it fairly quickly.

Speakers can be damaged if you do not provide sufficient power to get them as loud as you want them and crank the head unit volume or gain to the point where an excessively distorted signal is sent to them. They can also be damaged or worn out if you overpower them by so much that they spend lots of time during normal listening at or above their nominal power limits. Some people who buy top of the line speakers and can be conservative with the amplifier's gain dial connect amplifiers making 2-3 times as much as the speaker's rms rating and can run it like that, and run it hard, for years with no problems. Some people can hook up an 80 watt speaker to their 16 watt head unit or to a 35 watt amplifier and can kill it fast by sending it clipped signals and/or excessive bass frequencies.
Charting the decline of factory speakers
Factory speakers are tricky beasts. When they're new, they sound just fine. They're efficient, so they don't require much power to play at a reasonable volume, plus they're admirably accurate. In general, though, they're not really cut out for the long haul in an environment as taxing as a car door.
Full article here: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PrmE0ymNX ... oject.html

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

I have a set of good condition speakers i recently pulled from a junkyard car if you are interested. Specifically I have all the dash speakers, the door speakers (except one). I do not have the sub.

Let me know which one buzzes and maybe we can make a deal

Oh and I think the bose system in our cars rocks. I love the sound.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”