Spark Plugs

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TXT
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

I'm planning on doing all major maintenance on my car in the coming weeks. At the dealer, I'm going to get transmission service, brake fluid, power steering, radiator/cooling and belts all done up. If im missing something major please chime in.

I will get BrakeMotive brakes and spark plugs replaced elsewhere. I obviously know where to get the brakemotive kit but my question to you guys is:

What is the best place, and least expensive place to get all 8 spark plugs for my 2006 M45 Sport? I want to get factory/OEM spark plugs and I don't want to get anything else.

Links to direct pages would be nice and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TXT

I forgot to add, my car has 94,000 Miles. I bought the car with 64,000 miles and I havent done any maintenance on my car other than oil changes. I want to do all of this now and forget about it for a while.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

You can do some of those on your own if you have the tools...they aren't hard at all. See my FAQ for a general idea of how spark plugs, belts, etc. are changed. For the power steering fluid and brake fluid, all you need is (in your case) two turkey basters and a couple days (replace fluid in cylinder - drive 100 miles - repeat until fluid in the reservoir/cylinder is clean).

TXT

IlyaKol wrote:You can do some of those on your own if you have the tools...they aren't hard at all. See my FAQ for a general idea of how spark plugs, belts, etc. are changed. For the power steering fluid and brake fluid, all you need is (in your case) two turkey basters and a couple days (replace fluid in cylinder - drive 100 miles - repeat until fluid in the reservoir/cylinder is clean).
I don't have the tools nor the confidence to do this work. I'd rather get it done at the dealership and I have the funds to do so. I'm going to have someone do the spark plugs and brakes in NJ when I move soon.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

You can look at the NGK website and look up our car, it will give you the part number for plugs. Our OEM plugs are those NGK's and you should never use any other brand plug in these Nissan engines. The OEM are the double platinum's. Many people go with Iridium plugs because they give a little tiny bit better performance, at the expensive of 20K or so less miles in their lifetime or something like that. The double platinum's are rated for about 100K miles. Copper plugs are best but they only last about 30K miles

Minus (-)
Car: 08 M35x

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/Pa ... rom=header ....I order a lot of stuff from advanced just because they ALWAYS have coupon codes, I actually went with the iridium,and i used coupon code P20 (save 20%) and TRT30 (saves 30%)....and if you have a store near you, you can pick it up for free

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

I bought my NGK platinum plugs off Fleabay...I guess I could got fakes, but they seemed to be the real deal.
I saved about 20 bones off the whole deal.

I changed myself too -- it's not too hard, I had to go to a different forum for better pics for the How To on the M45, but the principle is the same. The ones closest to the firewall are the hardest to change because you have so little room.

You need a couple of different adapters/extensions/wobble joints to make it work, but IT can be done!!

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

I would only do the transmission service at the dealer

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

I just had mine done I used NGK Iridium plugs I also change all six OEM ignition coils cause a had a random misfire runs smooth now

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I purchased mine from Ebay as well. Circle Infiniti (dealership in NJ) has an Ebay store. I can still get genuine OEM without my local dealer's mark-up. When researching Iridium Vs Platinum, I found that the NGK Platinum is most compatible with an 07 M35. The cost was about $10 per plug and shipping(free) took 3-4 days. My local dealer charges $15 per plug so I saved $60.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384590351#ht_1407wt_925

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I just get good old Copper NGK's from the local parts store and gap them myself and install them myself. Rumor has it that Copper has the best 'bang' of a spark...but doesn't last as long as iridium, etc.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Not just a rumor. lol. Copper has better electrical conductivity than platinum or iridium, so it will advance your timing just a hair, as well as have a higher voltage spark since less is lost to resistance. But ya, its life is the worst of the 3 main types.

Ilya

lol yeah, I said rumor because people are under the impression that iridium or platinum is better than copper in every way...I disagree which is why I still use copper.

Good info though, thanks.

TXT

I'm getting the brakemotive kit as well. How are the brake pads that come with the brakemotive? Any good? Should I even bother getting other pads or just use the one's it comes with.

Larz

I was pleased at the quality of the rotors, first off. The place that installed them could not believe that these rotors + brake pads were so inexpensive. They said the rotors looked very well made and the pads were very good quality. I've only had mine for a couple thousand miles but I will say this: Florida is the 'puddle state' because we are basically at sea level and rain stays on the roads in deep puddles. After driving through them with water splashing up over the sides of the hood, the brakes grab as if they were dry and there is no slippage or loss of control. The braking on dry is also much smoother than my OEM rotors. My pads do not squeek and they don't vibrate whilst braking even from high speed.

TXT

Thanks Larz. I guess I'll just use the pads that come with the kit.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

I'm at 84k miles, is it time to change the plugs? The only symptom I see that may need new plugs is the hesitation in acceleration...but then again this is an M so I don't know if that's due to the plugs or natural. Absolutely no other issue associated with plug problems. Should I change the original plugs at 84K miles for the same of it, and will it definitively help the acceleration in taking off when I touch the pedal and not when it wants?

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

TDot,

I didn't notice much of a change at all after I changed my plugs, but I had already had the accelerator pedal recall done and that was a big enough change for me. I think the plugs are supposed to be good to 100k, but I changed them early because:

1. I wanted to see if I could do it- waaaay cheaper than the stealership (my dealer charges $359.99 + parts to change plugs) = HIGHWAY robbery!!
2. I'd rather replace things before their "guaranteed not-to-fail date" just to be on the safe side since "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" + headache of having to fix any sh*t that resulted from the faulty part

Craig

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Ok, thanks. I'll wait until 90-95k I guess.

Larz

I agree with you, Doc. I had my plugs done before the actual 'due date' as well. I make treks to the north a few times per year and I feared that they might fail whilst I am states away from home. Long as you just drive locally and are not at risk of being stranded in far away places, I see no harm in waiting till the due date to change them. I bought mine from an Infiniti dealer in NJ for about $65 (OEM factory plugs) and I believe if cost just under $300 for my local dealer to install them. I didn't have the twisty-bendy spanner attachments or the patience to be bothered with doing it myself.

pedsemdoc
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Yeah, I figured I was making an investment long term for those various spanner attachments/wobbles/angle joints.
I actually torqued the head off one of the retaining bolts for one of the coil packs, so I spent an extra 2 hours drilling that out and looking for a replacement bolt :facepalm:

That's what I get for doing it myself...it would have a pretty fast job if that misadventure hadn't occurred though, lesson learned.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”