Spark Plug Brands and material

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I've used NGK before for Iridium, but they only have one type of NGK Iridium, which is Laser, which costs an arm and leg for a set of 4. I have not heard of Autolite before and I really don't know how great Denzo spark plugs are. How durable are the spark plugs from Autolite and Denzo? Also, I was looking through RockAuto and they had NGK Ruthenium Spark plugs listed for the Rogue, and I never heard of this type of material, but its $5 more than the Lazer Spark plugs. And how long does these Ruthenium spark plugs last? Rockauto has this listed as maximum durability and ignitability, but doesn't specify how long it will last.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I remember when I changed my spark plugs, I was kinda disappointed I did, because they actually still looked to be in great shape and not dirty or old looking. So I stuck them in a drawer because I would feel stupid throwing perfectly good spark plugs away. I was planning on selling them on eBay but been too lazy.

Then I find out spark plugs are suppose to last 100,000 - 120,000 miles which mine were probably only half that.

I only changed the plugs because I saw some guy on YouTube do it and I thought my rogue may need it.

Nope, my original spark plugs were in fantastic shape. Of course I bought original OEM.

But I am really proud of myself, since I would have never knew how to do it without video on the internet.

:rotfl

macgiver

NGK's seemed to last & look BETTER than expected (typ. 120kmi) and Denso's seemed to SHOW more ground wear and a little 'tip' wear than should be expected ; yet NO real noticeable drivability issues near the 'end' with either .

NGK ive seen MANY applications with choices , ie. IX , LASER , etc. Depends on the car to what's being made available.

Both IR's being used , and going "1 COLDER" gave a very noticeable reductions of pinging in all my cars , esp. Summers.
We got only 91 Octane combined w/ 119 deg. F summers :tisk:

Late model cars ,unless your driving a real P.O.S. , they don't oil foul like 'back in the day' .

macgiver

I looked Ruthenium by NGK our - J30 - Juke - Elantra - Cutlass SL . ONLY latter two had a Ruthenium listing on NGK website ....GO FIGURE ???? Olds & Hyundai served BEFORE Infiniti & Nissan ??...... :wtf2:

datechboss101

I just looked at Advanced Auto, and sure enough, both Autozone and Advanced Auto are out of stock in the stores around me.

Plus I need to spare a weekend for this job, cause I need to take off the air filter (might install a K&N air filter?)

macgiver

Hell I would try Ruthenium plugs ,if that's the job your talking. From what little i've seen they have an interesting and compelling 'science' behind them.

If you go that way ,tell us the performance assessment on them . :chuckle:

datechboss101

macgiver wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:46 pm
Hell I would try Ruthenium plugs ,if that's the job your talking. From what little i've seen they have an interesting and compelling 'science' behind them.

If you go that way ,tell us the performance assessment on them . :chuckle:
Sure, I'll give an assessment about those plugs, since I do drive a lot. I still am looking around for the interval of these Ruthenium plugs though. Spark plugs is an easy job on any vehicle unless the engineers overengineered the dang thing.

I will have a spark plug analysis thread whenever I do the spark plug job.

casperfun

I was really ignorant about spark plugs.

Just took them out the box and installed them.

Thought it would be fine that way.

Didn't really think about the tip, measuring, or adjusting it for the rogue.

My knowledge was basic.

But NOWWW I know by viewing some YouTube videos.

But it's too late since I installed them long ago.

Everything seems ok.

datechboss101

casperfun wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:55 am
I was really ignorant about spark plugs.

Just took them out the box and installed them.

Thought it would be fine that way.

Didn't really think about the tip, measuring, or adjusting it for the rogue.

My knowledge was basic.

But NOWWW I know by viewing some YouTube videos.

But it's too late since I installed them long ago.

Everything seems ok.
I never bothered to even do any adjustment when I changed the sparks for the old Accord, but then I was using the forums to help guide me for the job. It ran fine and normal as usual, but I am not sure if the new sparks needs to be adjusted if I order the correct gapping and specs of the spark plugs.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

You should NOT try and re-gap Iridium or the new Ruthenium plugs. It will ruin them. They come pre-gapped. You will notice when you get them that they are wrapped in a little cardboard so that the tip cannot be bent in shipping.

datechboss101

I really don't know if this is specific to the Rogue or its for most Nissan vehicles in general, but a set of 4 plugs from the parts department is $95 (including tax). Who makes the plugs for Nissan, because ~$22 per plug is way to expensive, especially for Iridium, let alone for copper and other weaker metals.

And looks like I gotta order my plugs from RockAuto soon, since the local dealer here in Orlando is asking about $200 all in.

casperfun

Bought a set of 4 NGK laser iridium spark plugs for $59.99 back in 2017.

On eBay.

Way better deal then my local dealership.

They work great I assume, since the original versions I replaced still looked in exceptional shape after 8 years. So I just kept the old ones in the cabinet. Only used them for half the mileage of it's potential capacity.

Probably could have run those for the past decade.

I concur.....

........ +1 that these seem to last and look better after many years of use. :dblthumb:

datechboss101

casperfun wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm
Bought a set of 4 NGK laser iridium spark plugs for $59.99 back in 2017.

On eBay.

Way better deal then my local dealership.

They work great I assume, since the original versions I replaced still looked in exceptional shape after 8 years. So I just kept the old ones in the cabinet. Only used them for half the mileage of it's potential capacity.

Probably could have run those for the past decade.

I concur.....

........ +1 that these seem to last and look better after many years of use. :dblthumb:
Rockauto now lowered the price for the Ruthenium plugs to like $7 a plug, so I am tempted to pull the trigger on them. But I gotta wait for like 2 more months so that my Rogue hits 105k miles, since I am at 100k miles.

But the picture that they had using to compare the two metals makes me wonder what the condition is looking for the spark plugs that are currently in the Rogue, since I tend to WOT here and there (more frequently nowadays).

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

NGK iridiums are hard to beat. Pricey but performs well.

datechboss101

carldu wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 am
NGK iridiums are hard to beat. Pricey but performs well.
They are in the middle of the price spectrum, the NGK iridium plugs that is, but OEM is always an arm and leg for 4 plugs, but OEM will even ask for your first born child (second and third born) depending if the vehicle has 6 or 8 or 10 or 16 cylinders, as they are roughly $20 per plug.

DTASFAB

The three items on this vehicle that I would always use OEM parts for are CVT fluid, radiator long-life coolant, and spark plugs.

I was able to find OEM spark plugs from an online retailer a little over a year ago for under $15 each. Since there are only 4 of them, the price shouldn't be too painful.

datechboss101

I honestly gave up working on the Rogue. I received new spark plugs yesterday and started to attempt the job, but it failed. I used a 5/8" spark plug socket since I got friends that are mechanics and they said it should fit. Ended up buying a 9/16" spark plug socket from Autozone to only find out the spark plugs still won't budge. I really don't know what I am doing wrong here. None of the plugs will come out and its driving me nuts.

casperfun

Use a pipe to get more leverage on your socket handle.

I always use the extension handle from my floor jack to get me out of tons of situation. Never failed me getting a stubborn bolt off. 100% never got stuck to this day. :wavey:

Caliper bolts were stuck in hell’s gate, thank god for penetrating oil I had lying around that day.

I believed I used my extension handle to get my spark plugs off. I don’t remember, but getting it off was not a problem. :boink:

All I remember is that if I put enough dialectic grease on the plugs and cleaning around the opening making sure gunk don’t fall in was my main worry. Job was pretty easy following some guy on YouTube.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

If you do your own plugs (or not), you may be interested in this:
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lr9J3eQk-kE"

datechboss101

I had my local mech change the plugs for $100 and for some reason the plugs came out cleaner than I thought they would. I will be posting a picture in the near future.
phmichel wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:39 pm
If you do your own plugs (or not), you may be interested in this:
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lr9J3eQk-kE"
I always DIY my plugs, its just I don't understand why and how Nissan makes a simple easy job a billion times harder and difficult.

Return to “Rogue Forum”