Spark Knock vs CVT noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Ok,

As some may or may not know, I have a two month old Rogue, 2500kms.

Early on I mentioned that on occasions I would hear a slight rattle, only audible with windows down no radio and if listening for it... that sounded like marbles in a can....it wasn't consistent, like once or twice a week when the car was really warmed up.

Being on here and reading all this CVT stuff I thought it was maybe CVT related.

Well after investigation and studying the symptoms and getting some advice from mechanics i would run into it seems that I was getting an occasional spark knock here and there.

The symptoms matched (noise when car was really warmed up in hot weather, going on slight inclines, when engine was lugging on turn)

And probably not by coincidence one I upgraded to higher octane I hear a spark knock once every three weeks as opposed to once or twice a week.

This still concerns me, but according to a few guys an odd spark knock here and there at light speeds or luging is nothing to worry about as its normal in an engine on occasion....if consistent and loud at high speeds than its concerning.

So, in the end, noises can drive a guy nuts if he's as anal as I am....turns out its nothing to worry about.

Still gonna tell Nissan when I go in for my first check up in July.
Modified by Couz at 2:45 PM 5/15/2009

philipa_240sx

Couz, some occasional spark knock is normal. Just enjoy your Rogue!

Return to “Rogue Forum”