Southbend SBCNIS-3 Billet Steel Flywheel

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
ammar1098
Car: Infiniti G35s Sedan MT

07 G35s Sedan 6MT
Hey all, I've been doing a lot of research of clutches and flywheels. I was recently educated on the light weight steel flywheel vs the aluminum, and was told that south bend is a good brand. My questions are, Is anyone familiar with the Southbend brand? and is the steel really and upgrade from the aluminum? Thank you all for your time and help in advance.

Ammar D.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I've read that the LW Flywheel introduces a bit of noise and clutch chatter. Likely due to going single mass from dual mass clutch type engagement.

Going from aluminum to steel sounds backwards to me, but idk your car very well. Ah, I see, you have dual mass OEM, you find that there are lightweight flywheels by Southbend, they compare their flywheel to other lightweight flywheels (which are typically aluminum with a steel plate insert). So they just compared aftermarket to aftermarket, not to OEM.

Recommendations are for the Nismo unit (supposedly no chatter), then JWT, then ACT, etc. I have not heard of Southbend.

Some clutch shops will shave your OEM flywheel down to the max, balance it and then you have a lighter flywheel with stock performance, so that may be an option, but talk to a shop about it because I don't know if that can work with a dual mass flywheel.

ammar1098
Car: Infiniti G35s Sedan MT

Thanks for the feedback. Shaving my current oem flywheel won't be and option for me.. I read reviews that the oem for my vehicle isn't capable of being shaved. I was originally going to go with act but then a YouTuber I follow told me about south bend.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”