Soundproofing for your house?

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

has anybody soundproofed a room in their home? I was looking at doing this so Nobody can hear me when I play and so I can't hear anybody when I sleep.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

I helped a guy do this once in his attic about 15 years ago. We used to jam in his house, then the neighbors got all pissy about it, so we moved up to the attic, but had some serious sound deadening to do.

Started off making a room big enough for the sound system and all the equipment.

Next, we put up one layer of drywall, followed by 3 or 4 layers of 8in thick egg crate foam with another layer of drywall. He then added two layers of cork board on top of that.

Not sure how he did the windows, though. He did that on his own over a weekend while I was at work. It wasn't 100% sound proof, but it was quiet enough that you couldn't hear anything from more than 30 feet away.

dickie

i heard there is some kinda foam insulation that can be "pumped" in a liquid-like state in between existing walls and it hardens quickly offering a lot of soundproofing and insulation. anyone have experience with that stuff?

if i do the egg crate foam, it will most likely be in the shed so i can play out there without pissing off the neighbors. also, the walls out there aren't finished so it would be a good opportunity to go nuts with it.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Hey what ever happend with this?

I know the home theater guys are big in isolating their theater rooms to not only keep sound from coming out of the room, but also to keep sounds from coming in the room.

Air is an awful medium for the transmission of sound. More solid objects (like metal pipes, I-beams, and even dense woods do a much better job. Things that have a low damping factor. Think about being in a large building being able to hear hammering and other objects striking, but yet unable to hear the voices and shouts of the workers 8 floors down.

Higher frequencies are absorbed by insulation, egg crate, wool, ect...Lower frequencies have a lot more energy and require more extreme measures.

The key, as C33 points out, is to create a room within a room. You want as many solid baffles as you can with as many large air gaps as you can. Because it's not practical to have 4 layers of walls, people tend to stick with two walls.

Quick tips: -double up layers of sheet rock with a thin layer of adhesive between them so they function as one thick layer. Without the adhesive, the panels will vibrate against each other.

-don't butt 2x4's up against each other from your outer room room to the inner. The inner room needs to be isolated from the outer room, or else the vibrations will transfer from the inner 2x4 to the outer and let noise escape and/or enter. like this |= =| See you have the wall, 2x4, gap, 2x4, wall. (Plus this nets a large air gap) not like this |==| The 2x4's touch and will thus transmit energyIf you have to have 2x4's touch make it something like this|=| || |=|

-Insulation is your friend, but not too much.

-If you want to go crazy, build very thick sturdy walls and fill the gap between with sand...Though that put's you on the boarder between obsessed and insane.

dickie

if my roommate moves out soon it wont matter too much, but the only feasible option is like a foam or shredded insulation in the walls. anything else would be wasting money on a want when we have a lot of needs to worry about for now.

Return to “The Music Room”