Sound from front right axle

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
dsvw
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37x

Hi, I have a 2013 G37x

I recently replaced the front right axle (this is the third axle I put in the car). It is an aftermarket axle.

The car drove beautifully for a couple hundred miles. Now it is making a sound like the front right axle is bad.
However, the sound appears intermittently, and then goes away on its own after I make a series of sharp right or left turns.

I thought it might be the axle but the sound is not constant and goes away if I make sharp turns. The old axles I replaced made the sound when I made sharp turns and now the sharp turns are what do away with the sound.

Any ideas?

stephensatt
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37

One thing you can do, and this is how I track down these types of sounds that you only hear while driving, is carry a can of WD40 or any cheap lube spray that has a long straw on it.

I had this crazy sound coming from the front of my Nissan Titan like a clanging sound, but couldn't figure out what it was coming from.

Spray down one axle and see if the sound goes away. After a day or 2, if that wasn't it, spray the next axle, see if you get any difference.

Over the course of the week by spraying just one part per day, you should be able to find it.

Also they make "spray grease", usually its a white lithium grease that comes out a liquid but drys as a grease and that may be better than WD40 for this, but I would think any spray lube will work.

Doing this on my Titan, and thinking the sound was coming from the front drive train, it turned out to be a U-clamp of all things on the exhaust in the middle of the truck. Even tightening it would not make the sound go away, ultimately putting grease on it did.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”