Sound Dampening Material

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

The sound deadening material under my hood is starting to get raggety... i want to remove it... there's no big deals about it is there? It's just an eye sore, and i need to clear in there anyways... any real reason i should leave it, or replace it for that matter... :squint

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I took mine off... its just there for people that dont want to hear their engines, the faggots dont belong in a 240SX IMHO. Anyways I didnt even notice a louder note under acceleration from under the hood, maybe a fraction louder but nothing drastic. So rip it off!

FrEaK

And so it shall be... death to the ugly styrofoam plasticy ratty and torn crap under thy hood... :squint

Daunttless

You're big on that semi angry looking smiley aren't ya? : )

FrEaK

I love that smilie... he looks just like me... sort of angry but not really... hehe

anyways if anyone else is doing this... once it's off a big bottle of goo gone works wonders to get rid of all the grease and dirt buildup.. it takes alot of goo gone and alot of rags but it's worth the effort..... My hood never looked so sexy... well except the time that sexy chica sat on it... mmmm :boink

:squint

AunVoh

isn't that stuff there incase of a fire? and to keep the heat off the metel of the hood? to protect the paint i think.....

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

AunVoh wrote:isn't that stuff there incase of a fire? and to keep the heat off the metel of the hood? to protect the paint i think.....
That's part of it... the heat can become very intense, and that stuff does provide a certain amount of insulation. I don't know if it has anything to do with fire retardation, but it can prevent paint damage. The clearcoat will peel over time if you live in a warm climate, and don't have that insulation in place.... but it isn't THAT important, chances are you'll never have a problem.

FrEaK

:squint

Now you tell me...

Well i kept all the retaining pieces and the material.. so if i need it to go back on i can put it back on... thanks for the heads up anways...

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

I really SERIOUSLY doubt it will ever be a problem. It does serve a purpose, but I don't think it's very important to the paint. It can help to have it on, but if you already removed it... leave it off. And if your hood paint goes to crap, how hard is it to repaint..

FrEaK

Yea I totally see what your saying... im going to repaint the beast soon anyways so meh? Ugh it was so ugly tho... Anyone who has ripped there's off know what im talking about... :Squint

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

You can always go with some nice shiny metallic replacement material if it begins to present a problem.

FrEaK

??? Explain my fellow Freak.... i may do it anyways... got a link or a pic or something that i may feast my eyes upon .... :help

StanBo
Car: 93 Miata - 10 Tacoma

You could go with part number: 65840-50F00 Insulator, Hood. My listing has the part price as $49.53.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”