Soon to be joining the club

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
GahannaKid

Took the cash out of the bank today and I get to pick her up tomorrow

These are the sellers pictures but she's a bit rough around the edges so there will be a lot of small things (and a few big ones) that I need to get. The engine runs very well and I was surprised just how quick it is, I guess I've gotten too used to slow cars. I do have a couple of questions though.

1) The clutch engages very high, you only need to depress the pedal an inch & it's engaged. Is this normal?2) The PO welded the rear diff and I'd like to take it back to stock. Where's a good place to find what I need (Columbus junkyards are out of the question, they never have what I'm looking for)?

TIA & I'll get more pictures tomorrow

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

sweet man! let us know how it runs and everything!!!

86 720
Car: 1986 720 4cyl Standard Cab

Very nice ride!

Welcome to the club, I just recently joined myself.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Welcome. Looks good. The L28E diff bolts right in if you cant get the original.

PEZi

GahannaKid wrote:
2) The PO welded the rear diff and I'd like to take it back to stock. Where's a good place to find what I need (Columbus junkyards are out of the question, they never have what I'm looking for)?
hey man... i'll take your welded diff if you don't want it!

GahannaKid

PEZi720 wrote:hey man... i'll take your welded diff if you don't want it!
If you've got a stock one (or an L28e) I'll do a straight up trade. I go to pick it up in about 2 hours

PEZi

GahannaKid wrote:
If you've got a stock one (or an L28e) I'll do a straight up trade. I go to pick it up in about 2 hours
i do have a stock one... and once i get the truck up on stands i would be willing to trade ya.. but i'm not sure how well this one is holding up for certain.. under hard right hand cornering its making a 'clicking' noise which is common before it breaks... now granted i'm not sure you're gonna be racing it like it do, so its your choice!

if not... how much would you want for it?

GahannaKid

Well, after four and a half hours of driving she's finally home in the garage. She made it home w/o a hitch, plenty of power, no over-heating, no strange noises, etc. It needs an alignment something aweful though, lane composure is downright horrible and making lane changes is the worst thing I've ever seen. Unless the steering is somehow related to the welded diff then it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. At slow speeds you notice it but it isn't as bad as the internet made it out to be.

I was only able to get one picture on the ride home

PEZ, I'm going to drive it with the welded for a week or so and see how much it annoys me. I'll let you know.

Tomorrow I start fixing some things & taking off the damn stickers (I hate stickers) they draw attention, bad attention.

Project Trucker
Car: Datsun 720 pickup

man your 720 came to you real nice mine wasnt to good i had an ugly camper and some rust some where i didnt want it and all the plastic pieces where bad and the dash sucks but i have been working on it got the tailgate off new fender and hood, i think i might get hercules lining mines a big project and i loves it

PEZi

good stuff man... the welded diff will make handling different.. .but on these trucks the low speed stuff shouldn't be terrible like you said. looks good though man!

flinterman2000

With the welded diff the sharper the corner the harder it is to turn. You got some tyre screech in the lane changes? Once you change it out, you'll have no more problems.

PEZi

i want mine welded for autocross... its too hard getting traction out of tight corners with only 1 tire spinning

GahannaKid

Sharp turns aren't as bad as one would expect but no matter what degree the turn you get tire squeel. It's only bad when it's raining as it was on my way home that night. It was quite the introduction to welded diffs. Can you send PM's here?

PEZi

no PM's... just click the person's user name and shoot them an email!

flinterman2000

Hey Pezi, you know that the make a limited slip diff for both the H190 and C200 diff for the 720. They're impossible to find here in the Caribbean. It would help you immensely for your autocross.

PEZi

i know someone locally running a welded diff in their 'yota truck... he tried a LSD and said it just wasn't worth it... there's also a BMW 2002 running a welded diff... cheaper and more fun

Return to “Datsun 720”