Something weird happened today

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mig0s

while driving normally to work, I was on the service road going maybe 50mph onto the highway, I pressed down the gas pedal to accelerate but my transmission wouldn't down shift and the rpm just goes up and down fast (between 2500 and 3000). I slowed down, tried to manually change gears but my car just wouldn't shift. I kept pressing down the gas pedal and nothing happened (no power, while rpm still goes up and down) and the car was slowing down. I had to stop on the side of the road. turned off my engine, restarted and everything came back to 100% normal, like nothing ever happened... No check engine lights or whatsoever. Should I be worried?
BTW not sure if related but when I was stopped, it smelled kinda weird for a few seconds. It was like a burn smell

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

The car must have generated an error code on the onboard computer. The dealer should be able to retrieve the code and figure out what happened

rsilva800
Car: 94 Z32, 11 M37S , 01 Pathfinder

First time hearing something like that happening on the Y51. There is an update for the transmission software, granted the update is to address a hard gear shift/downshift issue. I forget the TSB number but you can ask your dealer to perform the update for you. It could be a good place to start the diagnosis.

Rob

mig0s

silberma wrote:The car must have generated an error code on the onboard computer. The dealer should be able to retrieve the code and figure out what happened
Wouldnt that code proc a check engine light? I have no lights on and everything is normal after i restarted the engine. Im just scared of it happening again. Gonna call up the dealer and do the TSB

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Was it a paved road or dirt.

mig0s

Frog wrote:Was it a paved road or dirt.
Paved... It was snowing though but i dont think it has anything to do with that. Car wasnt slipping or anything

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I had this same issue on my 08 M45. I took it to the dealer and there was a recall for something connected to the accelerator. They made that repair, but a few months later it happened again. My car was in the shop for almost a month (horrible dealership). What they told me, which I'm not exactly sure was the real problem, was there was a wire that was loose in one of the harnesses that needed to be reconnected. I didn't have any more problems after that.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

What car do you drive? You've offered us no details to help you.

mig0s

AlphaSnacks wrote:What car do you drive? You've offered us no details to help you.
I have a 2011 m37x

mig0s

Big_Tone wrote:I had this same issue on my 08 M45. I took it to the dealer and there was a recall for something connected to the accelerator. They made that repair, but a few months later it happened again. My car was in the shop for almost a month (horrible dealership). What they told me, which I'm not exactly sure was the real problem, was there was a wire that was loose in one of the harnesses that needed to be reconnected. I didn't have any more problems after that.
Thanks. If it happens again ill go to the dealer and ask them to check out transmission related harnesses. Thanks again for the info

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Mig0s, I had the same thing happen to me. You push the accelerator down and the car will not rev over 3500 RPM. In my situation it ended up being the mass air flow sensor. It happened randomly and the dealer didn't believe what I was telling them. I ended up driving to the dealership while it was happening without shutting off the motor to prove it to them. Hope this helps.

mig0s

reggiebrown40 wrote:Mig0s, I had the same thing happen to me. You push the accelerator down and the car will not rev over 3500 RPM. In my situation it ended up being the mass air flow sensor. It happened randomly and the dealer didn't believe what I was telling them. I ended up driving to the dealership while it was happening without shutting off the motor to prove it to them. Hope this helps.
Thanks reggie! I'll clean my MAF sensor tonight:)

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Be careful cleaning it. Use ONLY MAF cleaner and be VERY careful as Nissan/Infiniti MAF's are more sensitive than our women on their 'time of the month'.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”