Someone please explain to me what this means

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
BOOMSHAKALAKA

At startup my computer shows this message (it's been like this for about a week now):

rthdcpl.exe-Illegal System DLL RelocationThe system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32[HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLS. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

I've noticed that I can't use my headphones anymore on the computer. Could it have something to do with Realtek Audio Manager? Please help me out, TIA.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

That's a strange error to get, because HHCTRL.ocx IS a windows system DLL.Try downloading an updated version of the file (google the filename, you'll find several places that provide it).

Realtek audio SUCKS. My system came with realtek drivers and their audio manager. It's abysmally bad. It caused all sorts of problems problems with my microphone and with my normal sound I (I permanently lost one channel of audio). My advice is to get rid of them as fast as you can.

I replaced it with a $20 Sound Blaster Audigy and never looked back.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

I'll be looking into Sound Blaster. Thanks for the help.

Matej

rthdcpl.exe is a process belonging to the Realtek Audio Control Panel, and it comes with the Realtek hardware. It should actually be a non-essential program which can be terminated if it's causing problems.Do your speakers work fine?If problems persist after terminating it, try reinstalling your audio drivers.

Also, if you have the bank, upgrading to Sound Blaster would definitely be a step in the right direction, I only have good things to say about it, although right now I'm using NVIDIA, because I just wanted to try something new for a change, and I love the NVIDIA as well.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yeah, the realtek control panel isn't "necessary." However, I found that its effects remained even after it was shut down. That's why I eventually uninstalled my drivers and removed my Nforce sound card from the device manager. No amount of reinstalling drivers or devices solved the issues I was having with the Realtek crap.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Matej wrote:rthdcpl.exe is a process belonging to the Realtek Audio Control Panel, and it comes with the Realtek hardware. It should actually be a non-essential program which can be terminated if it's causing problems.Do your speakers work fine?If problems persist after terminating it, try reinstalling your audio drivers.

Also, if you have the bank, upgrading to Sound Blaster would definitely be a step in the right direction, I only have good things to say about it, although right now I'm using NVIDIA, because I just wanted to try something new for a change, and I love the NVIDIA as well.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge but when you say Realtek Audio Control Panel, are you talking about the icon in the control panel? If so, I tried opening it up and it wouldn't.

My speakers are working fine. However when I try to use headphones, no sound comes out. It used to be fine, but then a week ago it just stopped on me. I'd restart the computer and plug it back in and it would work, but now it doesn't work at all.

I think i'm gonna switch over to Sound Blaster because Realtek is annoying the $hit outta me.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

"Recent security updates to XP SP2 break the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel. People will see errors displayed when it attempts to start. "

You can uninstal it or try this hotfix:

http://www.microsoft.com/downl...ng=en

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It looks like this:

And you see that little button with the head and speech bubble on the bottom right? It's a "karaoke" track cutout button. It's part of what went wrong with mine. It got "stuck." I could turn it "off" but instead of just giving me back all tracks, it gave back one and cut out a different one. And it affected EVERYTHING, not just music. I was able to fix it but it was a royal PITA and required me to remove the drivers AND device and start from scratch. I never touched the stupid control panel again after that.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Ahh I see. I never messed around with that before. I was thinking about something else.

BTW Audtatious thanks for the link. I'll see what I can do when I get home.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Looks like the update worked. Everything's back to normal now.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Return to “Computers / Electronics”