Some basic drift questions.

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
progman

Your car is a DD and a drift car. I would get an LSD. Most inspection places will fail you if they can tell you have a welded diff. A welded diff will wear out your tires faster. Also it can be dangerous on turns if your not careful. This is why they say to only get a welded diff if you mostly only track the car.

I would either upgrade to a shimmed j30 diff or keep it open. You can still drift fine with an open diff especially if your learning. You just won't get big angles and it will be a little harder to be consistent.

a welded diff is basically a unbalanced time bomb.

J30 diff is your best bang for the buck if you daily drive the car and don't want a welded diff. But a welded or shimmed j30 is going to cost A LOT less than a LSD which start at about 1000 dollars.

J14cm7
Car: 95 240sx S14 SR20det

KAed 240 wrote:
Okay, the downside to a welded diff is chirping tires when making sharp turns, but still easy to control the car, but also makes drifting a lot more fun. Makes since. Did you pay someone to weld yours or did you do it yourself?
This is why welded diffs get a bad name. Some idiots try to do it themselves by using thier mig welder lying around the house and then come on the forums saying dont weld your diff mine failed.

Go to a professional shop and have them weld it. Ask first if they have ever done it before. If not find someone else. There is a specific way to do it. It shouldnt cost you more than 75 all said and done and thats a little high.

I do agree with the fact that if you plan to DD your car a welded diff is not ideal.

The comment about a welded diff being a timebomb is completly inaccurate. A unbuilt KA-T now thats a timebomb.

Modified by J14cm7 at 6:16 PM 3/12/2010
Modified by J14cm7 at 6:32 PM 3/12/2010

KAed 240
Car: nynte tew toofowty heetchbawck

I guess I have a lot more research to do. haha The j30 sounds about where I need to be though, I'm not looking for huge angles, I'm in the learning phase still.

Thanks.-Bryan

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

V-LSD?

Tyler
Car: 1989 240sx HB/1992 240sx coupe/1998 s14

progman wrote:a welded diff is basically a unbalanced time bomb.
do you have any proof of this statement?

J14cm7
Car: 95 240sx S14 SR20det

Tyler wrote:
do you have any proof of this statement?
Of course he doesnt. He doesnt have a welded diff and doesnt know anyone who has had one fail. Just being ignorant

wannaslide
Car: r32 skyline

Dittoz7 wrote:V-LSD?
yes look into getting a viscus lsd mine standard was just fine then i got it shimmed and now its even better although now shimmed it does chirp on certain surfaces ( its abit risky cos here cops can take ya car for 48 hrs if they hear it chirp)

Sleeper_RMS13
Car: 91 FB W/Blacktop SR

We have all been in these same shoes before. Try a welded first and if you dont know how to weld then pay sombody 20 bucks to do it. Get used to how the car feels and how the rear end kicks out and then when you feel its time to upgrade then do so. Second i would get some kind of springs or coils if you have the money. there are great bargans in the classified section.

KAed 240
Car: nynte tew toofowty heetchbawck

Sleeper_RMS13 wrote:We have all been in these same shoes before. Try a welded first and if you dont know how to weld then pay sombody 20 bucks to do it. Get used to how the car feels and how the rear end kicks out and then when you feel its time to upgrade then do so. Second i would get some kind of springs or coils if you have the money. there are great bargans in the classified section.
I'm not sure if I want a welded diff just yet though since I'm in the backwood hills of North Georgia, and since I like a little "spirited driving" every now and then.. I don't think it would be smart to mess with it just yet.

Haha but thanks for the advice, it sounds like I can pick up a whole other 240 for about $500. Good shape, doesn't run, but a good project car. I will probably weld that one though for sure, sounds like thats where I need to be.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”