Sold G20, Bought 1997 J30t, many questions, few answers! Help

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
InfinitiFreak101
Car: 1997 J30t

Dear J30 Club,

I sold my G20, moved east to start grad school, and just bought a 1997 J30t with Champagne over Tan leather. The drivetrain seems incredibly powerful with that 300zx engine. However there are some problems with the car

While buying at "Omar and Muhammad's Used Car Lot" was cheap, there are somethings wrong with it. I know a little about the g20 but not much about the J30. Can anyone help me:

--The right front headlights do not work at all (either lights or brights). The left side works fine. I just bought this thing a few hours ago, and assuming it isn't the lights themselves (it's unlikely the bright lightbulb would be out as well). Is this a lamp (light bulb) problem, a fuse problem, or is it the "relay" that I have heard can go wrong?

--Also, what kind of headlights are standard on the j30, are they just plain halogen, and if so should I spring for those xenon lights they sell on ebay?

--The cdplayer skips so badly it is unplayable, and one of the radio buttons "3" is missing and unusable. I'll try to clean it, but failing that, should I just go to best buy to get a new mp3/cd player? Or a replacement bose, if so how do I find one cheap and is it easy to install? If I replace it with a sony unit, will it include the radio as well?

--My tires look pretty well worn. Any recommendations for a hot, snowless climate that does have significant rain?

--Somewhat wishful thinking, but I used to have a Jim Wolf Technology POP charger (JWT Air intake) for my old 1993.5 p10 G20. Is it worth having a JWT POP for the J30, or is the engine powerful enough?

--All I got was a plain key. For keyless entry, how do I know which remote to buy on ebay? (I dont have any remote right now). Also, should I just buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

--The inside trunk release doesn't work. Where should I start looking to fix this? A fuse?

--What grade of fuel am I supposed to use? (I dont have an owner's manual yet) Can you get away with regular?

--The power antenna itself looks totally chopped off. How in the world do I put a new one on? Which part do I buy, the "mount" or the antenna itself?

--(Really not important but I may as well ask this too) I used to have a brushed aluminum dash trim kit for my old G20. I wondered if anyone here has had a trim kit for their j30, if so, what do you recommend as far as company? And why do the kits seem to say J30 1992-1996, when there was no model 1992, and does that mean the 1997 year has a different dash?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I finally have my "Gloria" (or whatever it is called outside US!)

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

saw192837 wrote:Dear J30 Club,

I sold my G20, moved east to start grad school, and just bought a 1997 J30t with Champagne over Tan leather. The drivetrain seems incredibly powerful with that 300zx engine. However there are some problems with the car

While buying at "Omar and Muhammad's Used Car Lot" was cheap, there are somethings wrong with it. I know a little about the g20 but not much about the J30. Can anyone help me:

1. The right front headlights do not work at all (either lights or brights). The left side works fine. I just bought this thing a few hours ago, and assuming it isn't the lights themselves (it's unlikely the bright lightbulb would be out as well). Is this a lamp (light bulb) problem, a fuse problem, or is it the "relay" that I have heard can go wrong?

2. Also, what kind of headlights are standard on the j30, are they just plain halogen, and if so should I spring for those xenon lights they sell on ebay?

3. The cdplayer skips so badly it is unplayable, and one of the radio buttons "3" is missing and unusable. I'll try to clean it, but failing that, should I just go to best buy to get a new mp3/cd player? Or a replacement bose, if so how do I find one cheap and is it easy to install? If I replace it with a sony unit, will it include the radio as well?

4. My tires look pretty well worn. Any recommendations for a hot, snowless climate that does have significant rain?

5. Somewhat wishful thinking, but I used to have a Jim Wolf Technology POP charger (JWT Air intake) for my old 1993.5 p10 G20. Is it worth having a JWT POP for the J30, or is the engine powerful enough?

6. All I got was a plain key. For keyless entry, how do I know which remote to buy on ebay? (I dont have any remote right now). Also, should I just buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

7. The inside trunk release doesn't work. Where should I start looking to fix this? A fuse?

8. What grade of fuel am I supposed to use? (I dont have an owner's manual yet) Can you get away with regular?

9. The power antenna itself looks totally chopped off. How in the world do I put a new one on? Which part do I buy, the "mount" or the antenna itself?

10. (Really not important but I may as well ask this too) I used to have a brushed aluminum dash trim kit for my old G20. I wondered if anyone here has had a trim kit for their j30, if so, what do you recommend as far as company? And why do the kits seem to say J30 1992-1996, when there was no model 1992, and does that mean the 1997 year has a different dash?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I finally have my "Gloria" (or whatever it is called outside US!)
First off, welcome to the J30 forum, make yourself at home. Spend some time reading some of the previous posts!

1. Headlight relays I think are known to go bad. Check http://www.fuzzycats.com and click the link for the j30. Lots of writeups on the J30 there, thats carlos's site, pretty informative...

2. Yeah they are projectors but halogens, not sure what bulb they take, but i bet some HIDs would go in nicely due to the projectors...

3. Those HU's are known to go bad in the j30s. You can get one out of any bose system in nissan 95+ and it will bolt in. Many get them from the pathfinder, G20, Maxima, etc... Most pay $100-150

4. Check the TIRE REVIEW THREAD in infiniti general. What kind of tire are you looking for? High performance (= extra grippy, lasts 20k if your lucky) or a touring (quiet, not that grippy but good enough for panic maneuvers, and last longer). Get back to us on that, you describe how you drive and what you expect (including price) and we should be able to tell you what you need...

5. No, the stock airbox is just fine IMHO.....

6. Id get the OEM one personally... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem They are the same for the 93-97 J30 and 94-96 Q45 (and many others)... Anyone with the FCC ID:A269ZJA073 should work.. Id search ebay with the FCC ID "in titles and descriptions" and see what you can come up with. you should be able to get one for under $50, sometimes used ones work sometimes they dont, but most times they do, ive had good luck with them...

7. Theres a switch in the glovebox that turns it on and off, check that first and report back..

8. Premium, no "and's, if's or but's"

9. yo u can get a new antenna mast from joe, that would take care of it and restore power antenna. Costs about $15 and takes 30 mins to replace.

10. I think jason burtman sells the wood kits but im not sure if he has the brushed aluminum. personally i prefer the natural leather look

Be sure to post some pictures, and enjoy your J30!

InfinitiFreak101

Thank you for your reply, which was desperately needed.

I've just replaced all four tires. I fixed the truck issue by turning the glovebox switch back to "on"

I plan to order the headlight relay from Joe. For the power antenna mast, is this sufficient? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=true

(Warning this is minor) I also want some new A/C bulbs for the display and a new map light , since mine doesn't work. I stand stand when something doesn't work right in the cabin.

3. Those HU's are known to go bad in the j30s. You can get one out of any bose system in nissan 95+ and it will bolt in. Many get them from the pathfinder, G20, Maxima, etc... Most pay $100-150

For air intake, I saw this on ebay. Is it good or ridiculous?"Greddy AIr intake, 5.99"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...WA:IT

"8. Premium, no "and's, if's or but's"

I believe you, but I have a stupid question anyway. . . I keep hearing from people that say they use regular and never had a problem. Why is this? Shouldnt it ping if it needs premium?

Do I need any special tools (other than monkey wrench and screwdriver) to replace the antenna mast and headlight relay?

I spoke with the great artist Jason Burtman, got a sale price for the wood kit, but first I need to take care of this baby mechanically.

Do i need special instructions to program a keyless entry device, or are the ones posted on this forum good enough?

I also bought some "Fuel System" cleaner by STP, should I use this?

On a less serious note, I had white face gauges on my old g20. Does anyone do that for J30 (indiglo or whatever?) Or we dont mess with it?

Thank you for the help you've provided me, once things are looking good I'll drop some pictures.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

That antenna mast is probabyl OK, but I prefer ordering from joe, and thats what I would recommend doing...

The AC panel lights can be replaced, Joe has those as well, just take out the display face and replace them, easy job.

WOW that intake is gay!!!! Just get a new OEM filter and dont waste your money on that. Trust me, youll have other things you want to buy rather than an intake!

The car WILL run on regular, but you will maximize performance and economy with premium... They design the car for the idiots that think you can get away with it!

Go ahead and buy yourself a nice set of sockets, youll want em.... Monkey wrench and screwdriver will not be sufficient. only time you use a monkey wrench is when you want to pound the hell out of something, and ive found that a #2 ball peen hammer works better!

The keyless entry instructions here are what you need..... From memory, I think it is: Close doors/lock, open trunk, insert key into ignition more than 10 times within 10 seconds... turn lock on drivers door manually to unlock, then lock, then press LOCK on the remote.

Ive used the STP stuff and it doesnt really work. BG44k is the only stuff Ive used thats worked and Ive tried a lot of stuff (STP, some other stuff, techron, etc)

daltonnnn
Car: 1993 Infiniti j30

actually, if you really wanted some sort of intake system, I suggest getting the K&n drop in filter. I have it, and it feels way better than a cone filter. got lots of low end since its an automatic and low end is where you'll usually be at. Its because if you buy a aftermarket cone filter, those take power from the low end and give you more higher end. Just my 2 cents.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I've been running a K&N filter since the mid 90's in my J. I've noticed it makes a difference with power and fuel economy.

I second, Wes's recommendation on Premium fuel. The cars runs best on it.

InfinitiFreak101

You get higher fuel economy with premium?

How much performance difference does it make?

Man, I love real wheel drive and that 3.0. . .

daltonnnn
Car: 1993 Infiniti j30

The car calls for premium to run at optimum performance, but you could get away with putting a different grade. My opinion is if it says premium though, thats what goes in. If you live in a colder climate, 89 might not be too bad, but its really all up to you.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I livw in a cold climate and Octane 89 in my J absolutely sucks. I've only run premium due to the J's "pistol" fuel injector design and natural high compression resulting from the way Nissan tuned the car.

Prinzess
Car: Infinity J30 1993

Hi Guys! I have question I hope someone can answer..... I was told by these guys that are in a Nissan club, that there is a way to reset the remote to rolldown the windowns on my 1993 J30 he said he has done it with one of his Maximas.. and is sure it works for the the Infinity too.. if anyone knows how to do this please let me know or if this is not true i still want to lknow thanks!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

AS long as your remote works, all you have to do is press and hold the unlock button...

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”