SoCal owners recommend a mechanic?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Talltobes
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4

Hi All,

I am new to the site and appreciate any assistance fellow owners can offer.

So April 2022 I bought a 2003 QX4 from a friend that was the original owner. The car is a Canadian delivered vehicle. The car is in great condition for its age. The car had 220,000 KM's, it needed a new battery, and the service engine soon light was on. The drivers window was getting stuck and the drivers heated seat is torn and falling apart.

I read the computer and the error code was P1335. It was a crankshaft position sensor, which was replaced. I replaced the drivers window regulator and motor assembly. The car passed the smog test soon after.

I bought the car to have it as a 2nd vehicle, but circumstances changed and I am using it as my daily driver. I do less than 150 miles a week. The car has been great, but I believe there may be an electrical issue brewing.

Here are the symptoms:

Frequently when removing the key from the ignition, it continues to beep. Reinsert the key turn and remove and its ok. On a handful of times, when trying to start there is no crank (Battery is fine), remove the key and try again it starts fine.

About 6 months ago the power windows will randomly stop working and then start working. I checked fuses etc and was ok then. This behavior has gradually gotten worse to the point passenger front window is 1/3 open.

Recently the service engine soon light turned on.. then it turned off. It's now back on with error code P0021 a camshaft position sensor bank 2. I haven't done anything about this error yet.

I have noticed recently that when I have taken the key out of the ignition that the key is warm/hot to the touch.

I am wondering are these all related? I'd like to know what is the root cause if that's the case.

Otherwise my main concern now is to get the car's windows back up. Could the issues with the windows be just a faulty drivers door switch?

Does anyone one have a good mechanic they could recommend here in Southern California. I am in Palm Springs but would be willing to drive to nearby cities.

Thanks

Tobby
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Regarding the ignition, it appears you may need a new switch. As a stop gap measure you can squirt some contact cleaner into the key slot and see if it helps. Deoxit 5 cleaner is generally the best contact cleaner around. The quirkiness with the windows will most likely be caused by worn out contacts in the driver's master switch. Replacement is pretty easy. You have two camshaft position sensors and they can often get gummed up and stop working as they should due to infrequent oil changes and accumulated engine gunk. You can try running an engine cleaner through it and then change the oil/filter and it may solve your problem. I highly recommend you download the shop manual for you car and become familiar with it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”