So you want to buy a Skyline in the US....

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Vandrel, if we can be of any assistance in the effort, let me know.

Vandrel
Car: R33

Once the Kaizo crew gets out of court we'll know more and have a better idea of where to go from there, first stepping stone

S13_love

Vandrel wrote:SOUSA with the assistance of Sean Morris has already pulled together nearly all known U.S. Skyline owners to accomplish this. There's been phone conference calls and documentation already drafted up. All future information pertaining to the subject for the public will be posted on http://www.legalizeimports.com (The site is in it's beta stage currently). Furthermore, a large group of Kaizo owners are heading to court in the near future.
Nice! I'll be definitely keeping track of this. Hope everything goes well.

edthemanjp
Car: 1992 Skyline GTR

Vandrel wrote: in the end it's just a car.
Yes it is just a car but, when you put 2 years of your time, energy, and money on top of that researching, writing, calling, paying, and talking to lawyers, other members in your suit, and other owners it starts to come into that principal area. Where I know I’m right in everything I’ve done and I’ll stand by my words and judgments in that anything I try to do legitimately and get hindered by those that would try to steal from me and separate from me what is mine. I’ll make those that are trying to steal from me pay for their transgressions and return to me what is rightfully mine and that’s when it becomes more than a car.

I don’t want any hard feelings and I would love to an opportunity come over to SOUSA but you have to know I’m not changing my opinions.

Vandrel
Car: R33

edthemanjp wrote:I don’t want any hard feelings and I would love to an opportunity come over to SOUSA but you have to know I’m not changing my opinions.
I wasn't meaning for you to change your opinions, my intent was simply to extend the offer and inform you of the who what when where why of the rest of the community. I'm sure if a lot of us had the extra $30,000 or so just to pay to get their cars sent over prior to 2006 with Motorex then they would have. Money is tight for some, more so for those trying to make it pay check to pay check at E5 pay with a family in Okinawa. I don't feel that those who tried to save a buck or two should have their peepee slapped by the rest of us for not doing business with a company that ended up screwing over customers and getting shut down. Of course there's many other stories but just as an example since that's one of the most common for these cars.

To each his own, my goal is simply to get everyone on the same sheet of music in the community if you know what I mean.

skyline.1

hello, my name is usman jst seen ure comment on the nico club (nissan forum) about the importation of skylines in america . i stay in united kingdom in glasgow and i am doing car mechanics over here and in my class i have to do a project and i am doing the skylines getting imported to the states as this facinates me as i am a big skyline fan lol as i was wondering if u could help me out with some info by sending me the legislation laws required in the states and wht the emissions law is for the skylines allowed in the states . I would be very grateful if any 1 could give me any information on this topic ,to get started on my report.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hi usman -

Almost all the information you want is contained in this thread.

Happy reading!

grmreapr
Car: 89 rps13, 02 mazda protege

I have been tryin to tell my friends about this but they wont listen. They just picked up a r32 and a r33. I asked them so are they federally legal? They said no I said yup your screwed. Don't ever get into an accident ever or get a smart cop or one having a real bad day who knows whats up. They however do not see it this way just because it has a state title. I told them who is bigger the feds or the state run gov. i mean there nice cars but I am just waiting for them to get crushed.

flashbangkenny

i have the opprotunity to get a canada titled r32 with paper work and all that walked across the border. my question is if i bought it and kept it in a dark booby trapped concrete bunker and waited for the remainder of the 25 years to past could i walk into the dmv and register the car with no worries?

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

flashbangkenny wrote:i have the opprotunity to get a canada titled r32 with paper work and all that walked across the border. my question is if i bought it and kept it in a dark booby trapped concrete bunker and waited for the remainder of the 25 years to past could i walk into the dmv and register the car with no worries?
No, because technically, it has to be 25 years old when it leaves it's point of origin, which would be Japan. Since it's already in Canada, that little tidbit is already up s*** creek without a paddle.

flashbangkenny

thanks man that what i wanted to know yeah it would of been nice but unrealistic for me. it was going for 7000

EL MAMITO USMC
Car: SENTRA SER

Gold Digger wrote:No, because technically, it has to be 25 years old when it leaves it's point of origin, which would be Japan. Since it's already in Canada, that little tidbit is already up s*** creek without a paddle.
excuss me but are you completly sure about this statement? because if the car came from another country that country would be considered the place of origin from the shipping point of view. now i know that the car must be 25 years to the month of the car when it was first registered.

does any one know where is this specification mentioned in the law? thanks

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

It has to be 25 before it crosses the border into the US, if it's hiding in a shed until it is 25 you are out of luck.

ahsan
Car: Nissan Skyline GTR 89'
Nissan Sentra 14'

zx32007
Car: 2007 Ford Focus ZX3, 1987 Nissan 300ZX 2+2

Hello, been searching around the internet on how to legally obtain a JN Skyline. I found the NHTSA information and saw the explicit mention of J.K. Technologies, LLC and will contact them soon, but I was curious if anybody knows of anyone who has used this particular company? I am soon to be stationed in Japan, and would like to bring back a Skyline to the states, but I do not want to have to worry about spending so much money(and time) to bring it back only to have it seized and destroyed. Also the NHSTA website said that other RI's can also mae these modifications. Does anyone know of any that are actually confirmed to have successfully completed these mods and get approval by the government. Last questions, the website specifically mentions the R33 GTS and GTR models, does this mean a GT-T or GTR vspec are not eligible? Sorry for so many questions.

EfiniRX7
Car: 93 FD3S not going anywhere, 2003 E46 M3 traded, s14 sold, 2010 camaro sold, now another kouki s14, FD did go somewhere, Now a 535whp rotary Kouki s14

Im sure it has been discussed but I don't feel like reading through 20 pages. What if I don't car about a title or any papers? I now have a track only FD3S and have kicked around the idea of a track only(trailered to and from events) skyline. I would also not be looking for an entire car just a chassis, rolling or not. My FD has everything a car needs+ to be competitive at any level, I just thought something different would be cool. I guess my question is dose it really matter if the car is not road going at all?

USsil80

you can get a race/show only title.. BUT the title is only good for a couple years before the car is deported

AZhitman
Administrator

zx32007 wrote:Hello, been searching around the internet on how to legally obtain a JN Skyline. I found the NHTSA information and saw the explicit mention of J.K. Technologies, LLC and will contact them soon, but I was curious if anybody knows of anyone who has used this particular company? I am soon to be stationed in Japan, and would like to bring back a Skyline to the states, but I do not want to have to worry about spending so much money(and time) to bring it back only to have it seized and destroyed. Also the NHSTA website said that other RI's can also mae these modifications. Does anyone know of any that are actually confirmed to have successfully completed these mods and get approval by the government. Last questions, the website specifically mentions the R33 GTS and GTR models, does this mean a GT-T or GTR vspec are not eligible? Sorry for so many questions.
You and everyone else...

Please read the thread. Thanks!

AZhitman
Administrator

EfiniRX7 wrote:Im sure it has been discussed but I don't feel like reading through 20 pages.
Ummm, then you don't need an imported car.

Guys, this isn't Romper Room... We're not here to hold your hand or spoon-feed you and wipe your chin.

Read the damn thread.

USsil80

AZhitman wrote:
Read the damn thread.
this thread should be locked.. but the first and last post should be a bulletin stating

YOUR QUESTION ASKED HERE /REPLY"no you can't" or "no you don't have enough money/brains to do that"

quickly followed by SEARCH

EfiniRX7
Car: 93 FD3S not going anywhere, 2003 E46 M3 traded, s14 sold, 2010 camaro sold, now another kouki s14, FD did go somewhere, Now a 535whp rotary Kouki s14

I asked a simple question, is this not what forums are for? I have been racing my FD for a while now and thought something different might be cool. Every time I search, people want to know about importing and titling. I do not want to import or title. I just wanted to know if I found a chassis, can I use it for a track only car like my FD is now?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

A quick search on Google found this.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/....html

There is also this one.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/...y.pdf

Not sure if that's the information you are looking for, but it's pretty cut and dry.

If you are just looking to buy a rolling chassis of a car that is already here, the only forseeable problem I can envision is if it was imported illegally.

EfiniRX7

^^ Well I have come to a conclusion. If I found a chassis it would never go on the grid because it would never have a title due to never going on the road. I did read through the whole thread tonight and my question was still not totally answered(people wanting to import and apply for an off road title). I don't want to import anything, just look for some stripped out old chassis. I would rather keep my FD than hassle over importing or bringing a car from Canada. I guess if you never try to put the car on the grid( titling, plates, getting insurance, or driving on the roadways) no one would even know. Thanks for the info.

EfiniRX7

Gold Digger wrote:A quick search on Google found this.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/....html

There is also this one.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/...y.pdf

Not sure if that's the information you are looking for, but it's pretty cut and dry.

If you are just looking to buy a rolling chassis of a car that is already here, the only forseeable problem I can envision is if it was imported illegally.
Thank you for the info. I have never thought about importing even once. I do see your point on finding a chassis all ready here though.

littlemimus
Car: mazdaspeed protege

hey guys. im first time post but ive been here a while. now i was just wondering since we only have like five more years till we can bring in r32's (or have i misread something ) why not just buy one in japan store it over there and then bring it over once its past the 25 year mark

Hype
Car: 93 240SX SE fb Super HICAS

There is a 25 year rolling window. In 2014, the first of the R32s become eligible. If you have the means, you can certainly store one in Japan but if you ship it here and think you can hide it for a few years and then register it when the time comes guess again. If the date of entry is before 2014, they'll send your car to the crusher.

Good luck. If you can swing it, holding onto one in Japan is a sure way to reserve yourself an R32 as they'll probably become mad expensive when the time comes....

littlemimus
Car: mazdaspeed protege

well then in that case i dont think anyone would know how to go abbout that would they??

AZhitman
Administrator

Go drive an R32 first.

For the money you'll spend, you can build two cars that will slap it around, AND won't be a pain in the arse to source parts for.

I love the Skyline as much as anyone, but we've elevated them to such ridiculously outrageous status, you'd think they were actually WORTH the $60K people are shelling out for legal ones.

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

AZhitman wrote:Go drive an R32 first.

For the money you'll spend, you can build two cars that will slap it around, AND won't be a pain in the arse to source parts for.

I love the Skyline as much as anyone, but we've elevated them to such ridiculously outrageous status, you'd think they were actually WORTH the $60K people are shelling out for legal ones.
To me, ownership isn't a priority.

The privilege to drive one would be. A least once in my lifetime.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Rare_f8 wrote:The privilege to drive one would be. A least once in my lifetime.
I love living in Japan....
littlemimus wrote:hey guys. im first time post but ive been here a while. now i was just wondering since we only have like five more years till we can bring in r32's (or have i misread something ) why not just buy one in japan store it over there and then bring it over once its past the 25 year mark
Storage isn't that easy over here. Finding storage units big enough to hold cars is expensive. Plus, you still have to pay tax on it, unless you de-reg it. I don't know how a car is taxed and what not if de-regged.

If you don't de-reg it, you have the yearly tax and bi-annual car inspections to worry about.

But, if you have the means, by all accounts, try it. Hell, plenty of shops around my area sell R32 GT-R's for under the $12K mark. Some of them modded, some not.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”