So, let's find me a new pocket knife!

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
sr20fan
Car: 93 240sx SE coupe maroon

krazydriver wrote:Benchmade model-42 butterfly knife. 4.2" blade, opened it's like 9.4" overall.Titanium handles so it's nice and light and flips easy.
i used to have on of the shorter ones a LONG time ago. got arrested and it got confiscated though. the absolute BEST butterfly i have ever had. could shave armhair with that damn thing.

barrigas14

I've had a Gerber since...2000 or so. Never a problem and has always been sharp.

sultan

i've had a crkt m16-13m for like 8 years (not sure), also have a gerber mini paraframe i picked up last year.

favorite knife is the ka-bar i keep in my halliburton, don't think it's legal to carry it

shortmag
Car: 92 300zx n/a

srpowered240sx wrote:i love my kershaw, lifetime gaurantee.
a big +1 on the kershaw. I have this same knife (only mine has the serrated section) and have had it for about 5 years or so and i can count the number of times i've left home with out it on one hand. this thing has been a fantastic knife, it's done everything i've ever needed a pocket knife to do, it holds an edge very well and the assisted opening still works just as well as the day i took it out of the box.

SM

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

shortmag wrote:
a big +1 on the kershaw. I have this same knife (only mine has the serrated section) and have had it for about 5 years or so and i can count the number of times i've left home with out it on one hand. this thing has been a fantastic knife, it's done everything i've ever needed a pocket knife to do, it holds an edge very well and the assisted opening still works just as well as the day i took it out of the box.

SM
Holy necrothread!

Yeah, Kershaws are great. If it wasn't for my flush-in-pocket requirement, I'd be carrying one.

Update on the Gerber: working fine!

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Bought an SOG years ago. Haven't ever needed another knife. They're spendy $80-$100 but if you destroy the blade, you can send it back to SOG, and for $30 they'll rebuild the knife with a new blade and seals/washers. Makes it well worth the initial investment IMHO.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

they make quality stuff.

I just haven't found one of their designs I really liked.

I need to find a tomahawk.

there's a company taht makes a modern one that's one piece steel...some of the guys are carrying them in the Middle East..I want one.

JDMZ32
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX, NA, slicktop, 5-speed, red

i've been meaning to buy a new knife, and after seeing this thread i set to it. i ended up buying this BEAST lol:Smith & Wesson CK42BS

P.S. I'm from Alabama and I just bought a big knife - I bet I look like a redneck now. Great. lol

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

Junk knife. That'd be fine, but they're overpriced for a junk knife.

Gerber update: Been through a few washings and cut the hell out of my hand, but it's doing well!

Mr1der

yup.

I recently bent the clip back into shape on the Kershaw, no longer falls outta my pocket in extreme manuevers (you'd be surprised the crazy **** I do when building buses).

still sharp.

I might take it to a knife shop and let them sharpen it though (serrated and I suck at sharpening to begin with)

JDMZ32
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX, NA, slicktop, 5-speed, red

charlieo wrote:Junk knife. That'd be fine, but they're overpriced for a junk knife.
yea i'm sure it's not the best, but i'm also sure it's better than my old gas station knife, which i've had for seven years. it's not really all that bad either. i got this other one at a scout shop in nashville probably nine or ten years ago - don't know the brand, but i LOVED that knife. it seems to have disappeared though . looking forward to my new junk knife to arrive. o, also, i got it for half retail. not bad.

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

Just got this for Christmas. Guess I'll be retiring my Paraframe after 2 years.

Kershaw Tanto Blur

Mr1der

I've got the same knife.

you'll love it when you get used to opening it.

it's sharp as hell from factory..I've had mine more than a year and have yet to sharpen it...

it won't shave hair anymore...but it'll still cut anything that needs it.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Only knives I've ever owned have been kershaws and gerbers...both companies within 15 minutes from where I live.

I was a knife nut...but then I met my gf's family....her sister always has 3-5 knives on her (kind of wierd...) Her dad owns two sizeable cases full of assorted knives.

And during present opening parties..."Anyone have a knife?" *Flickclickshwickflicktickchink" goes around the room

Here is my collection at my apartment. (Have more at my parent's house)

Got half of them this year at the Kershaw annual sale at their warehouse. Line was wrapped twice around the block...Was worth it for the nearly 100% savings over retail.

The black one is the first knife I've ever owned...can take a beating and keep on cutting. It's likewise the one I carry the most. You may also notice that they all are folders...I've been looking into expanding into hunting knives and maybe a balisong. Oh, and of course a damascus folder.

Which brings me to the next question in this...7 month long.... thread,

What are your thoughts on fixed blades and to a lesser extent, damascus folders? I'm looking for EDC for both of them. As you may guess...I'm quite partial to kershaw

Mr1der

rofl Leeks.

I thought about getting one, but I just don't find the blade on those practical.

the next folder I wanna get is the Cammilus Maxx Stilleto.

I think they might even make it with a D2 steel blade!

I'm personally a big fan of fixed blades.

I'd rather carry one than a folder but there's legal issues.

I need to get some more....my mainstay is a 21st Centure Ka-Bar.

still pretty damn sharp...I hate the sheath it cam with though...i need to get a jump sheath for it. It usually accompanies me when I'm in the woods.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

yeah i do have a lot of em just seems to be what everyone gives me...they are great knives in any case.Yes i'm looking for a more...impressive...knife to accompany me when i am in rural locations.why don't you find them practical? they are just perfect for casual carry and when i'm in the shop (the black one has a serrated lower blade)

Mr1der

my state doesn't really allow for carry.

or it's a dumb blade length...I can't rememeber...

I'm fine with my kershaw though, I think it's a 3.5 blade...

if it was legal to carry my ka-bar, I probably would.

it's much more handy...

blindsnyper
Car: 2007 versa

my old knife...

my current knife...

i just ordered this...

im going to start to build my collection with...

phuphyter
Car: 2002 Infinity G20

ScorchedNX2K wrote:
What are your thoughts on fixed blades and to a lesser extent, damascus folders? I'm looking for EDC for both of them. As you may guess...I'm quite partial to kershaw
I hear nothing but praise for Rat RC-3's and anything Rat Cutlery in general when it comes to fixed blades. Can't beat their warranty either.

I'm wondering about the same thing about damascus folders, specifically the damascus leek: Such a classy looking knife

I bought my first knife today and was torn between that, the S30V leek, and the RAM 1910.

I ended up with buying the plain blade RAM:My decision came down to ease of one-handed opening/closing and usage. The RAM seemed better suited for heavier duty use than the Leek, and you can easily flick it closed, which I liked a lot.

My next EDC will most likely be one of the two leeks, but which one, I don't know.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”