So it begins--06 M45 with Paddle Shifters

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

So since I had the interior apart changing the trim color I decided to take a look at some things....
Looking at the wiring diagrams it became immediately evident that this is not a hard thing to incorporate with a few changes/additions.

I wired up a circuit and had two momentary switches mounted on a plate to test everything out.

Put the shifter in D and the car drives as normal.
push both switches and it goes into manual mode (with the shifter still in the D position)
push both switches again and it goes back to auto drive

when in manual mode, either by pushing the shifter to the left or pushing both switches up and down both buttons work as they should.

The shifter can also be used in manual mode (like stock)

So, now that the circuit is done (there are a few articles on the web about how to integrate the paddle shifters using two SPDT relays). My circuit, to incorporate the both paddle switch to manual consists of 2 additional SPDT relays (4 total) and a simple CMOS flip/flop circuit.

Started working on mounting the paddles today (got them yesterday). Again, lots of articles on the web on how to do this. You have to trim the switches and the column mount. Not difficult though, just take your time so you don't have an "oops".

Still need to cut the steering trim piece and relocate the wheel tilt/telescope switch, permanently mount the switches and then bolt everything back together.

I'll post up final pictures when done, probably tail end of next week--shutting down for Christmas!

jmichael97
Car: 06 Infiniti M35X

cool dude. keep us updated!

jpkas88
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45

Looking forward to see how it turns out!

mexillis
Car: M45s

something to look forward to... :bigthumb:

DeanM45

mexillis wrote:Image

something to look forward to... :bigthumb:
Which set up is that and what did it run you?
Does it switch to Manual when both are held down?

If it is not too expensive (I'm into mine for $200 in parts with the Infiniti paddles) and handles the shift to manual mode I may have shot myself in the foot!

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

That's a right hand drive car.

DeanM45

06M4.5 wrote:That's a right hand drive car.
Understood but I think it should still be applicable to left hand drive.

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

Looking at this pic it show the paddle's to be very low. They should be higher, high enough to pass the top spoke on the steering wheel. :gotme

DeanM45

06M4.5 wrote:Looking at this pic it show the paddle's to be very low. They should be higher, high enough to pass the top spoke on the steering wheel. :gotme

Good point, did not pay attention to it before.

mexillis
Car: M45s

It's somebody's M in Japan so I couldn't tell you how much it costs. I've only seen it done over there so far and was hoping to find some info on it but this guy only posted a picture if it installed. As for the paddle it's probly just a non g paddle which why it looks low. The shape and design doesn't look like the one from the op. there was one in Japan that has the g 37 paddles but I couldn't find it this time around.

rxmclaren7
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

so i am a little confused....are these meant to be functional?? or just for looks?? if they are meant to be functional id be very interested in them!!

DeanM45

Mine will be/are functional. Just making them "pretty" right now.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

rxmclaren7 wrote:so i am a little confused....are these meant to be functional?? or just for looks?? if they are meant to be functional id be very interested in them!!
Well, if you ask Jeremy Clarkson, they are useless. He hates 'flappy paddle gearboxes' :rotflmao

Any Top Gear fanatics in here?

rxmclaren7
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

huge Top Gear fan here!! cant wait for the new season....when ever that come to the us! back on topic @Dean cool! i would try this but i am afraid of messing something up!! :ohno:

DeanM45

rxmclaren7 wrote:huge Top Gear fan here!! cant wait for the new season....when ever that come to the us! back on topic @Dean cool! i would try this but i am afraid of messing something up!! :ohno:

What could possibly go wrong?

HUGE Top Gear fan and BTW:

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Wow, all the stuff your doing, you're really looking to overhaul and redo the car. Should be interesting to see once you're done all of your projects.

Arlo
Car: 2006 M35x

i am also very curious. keep up the good work

jmichael97
Car: 06 Infiniti M35X

"stuuuupid stuuuuupid imbecile of car! with your stupid flappy paddle gearbox" JC KILLS me with that LMAO but i think this is cool as hell.... i wanna do it to my M if yours turns out right.

DeanM45

Some progress today:

Paddles and wheel installed. The used paddles I got were not in the greatest shape so I went ahead and mode some modifications. Added lighting to the + and - indicators and went with a satin black paint. The aluminum (stock) yelled a kind of "LOOK AT ME" when I first mounted them and I wanted to subdue that:

Must have turned the wheel slightly before taking the pictures but the paddles ARE even: In Auto mode (white lighting):

In Manual mode (red lighting):

Hard to pick up the lighting in the pictures and the "-" does not look like it is on but it is.

Not super bright on the lighting but enough for the driver to see, even in daylight.

The steering surround bezel is another BIG project. Not much the stock bezel can be used because of how the switches stick out (stock bezel hugs the steering pretty tight. I'll figure out something in the future.

Also, going to go with some SMD (much smaller) relays as right now the interface is HUGE. Have it mounted under the steering wheel but there is a nice little pocket next to the shifter where a smaller circuit will fit and make for easier access.

Yeah, I know I need a new airbag. I think the previous owner slammed the horn or something and cracked the cover on the airbag. Flash highlights it but in daily driving I have either gotten used to it or it is not as noticeable.

Marching on -- getting there.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Okay, now that you redid the handles, this is lookin fancy.

And nice to see a bunch of TG fans up in hur. Hahah.

New season starts next month with the delayed Christmas Special. Regular season starts in Feb I think. Go to www.finalgear.com to follow all the news for the show (both UK, US, and other TG spinoffs).

Sorry for going off topic man. Keep posting the updates...this is interesting.

agee
Car: 2010 M35S

That's very nice! Amazing work.

PlatinumM35
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35
Tein H-Tech Springs
Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors
Wagner Ceramic Brakes
22x9 Status Wheels
Rear Entertainment Aftermarket
15'' RE Audio Subwoofer
Infinity Reference Door Speakers

Nice work. I'm surprised how well it came out.

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

awesome!!!! great work man. so when are we going to see the DIY tutorial? or are you going to turn this into a kit?

DeanM45

cruzad3r wrote:awesome!!!! great work man. so when are we going to see the DIY tutorial? or are you going to turn this into a kit?
I have no desire to do a kit it is faaaar too much work (about 16 man hours so far) for there to be a chance of any profit (without labor the parts cost alone is around $320 with new paddles from Infiniti). Plus, you really need the car when doing the mod as the paddle placement is extremely important. Once I finalize the circuit I'll probably post it up and may offer that as a kit so it would be plug and play if you have the paddles.It's taken me about twice as long to add the paddles as it did to do the Transgo shift kit.

There are lots of tutorials on the web and in one of the other Infiniti forums on how to mount the paddles on the FX. The Ms are not that much different, trim the paddles, trim the steering mount, epoxy or plastic weld the paddles in place and then the wiring. I tap into the connector that is just behind the shifter, tap two wires (up shift, down shift request) and cut two wires (manual request and auto request). Adding the interface to the car is easy (6 solder connections). The mounting of the paddles and the circuit development took the most time.

EmDash
Car: '06 Black M35 with Tech Package, Brakemotive rotors, Tein H Techs, 19" Sport Rims

I'm so incredibly impressed. Looking good Dean!

ctsedan
Car: 2006 M45 blk on blk. 1995 s14 Sr20DET.

Great job, I like the look and the extra work with LEDs is impressive. I was planning to do the same thing and purchased all the parts needed but never attempted the work.

Sorry to jack your tread....
FYI--> Anyone want the parts to do this project can contact me to purchase them. I have the paddle shifters, epoxy, relays, and spare steering wheel plastic(not trim) to mount the paddles to. Sell it as a set, this is following the FX DIY that I never got around to doing. Thanx

DeanM45

Since I am waiting for the SMD relays I did a bit more work on the paddles. Cleaned up the opening for the indicators. Sorry for the pics being blurry but the only way to keep the flash from washing it out. The indicators are about as bright as the instrument panel. Can see them during the day but not too bright at night.

Auto:

Manual:

So far, no issues with anything!

ctsedan
Car: 2006 M45 blk on blk. 1995 s14 Sr20DET.

Dean, can u post up side pictures of the trim plastic? N how u did the tilt steering button? Thanx

DeanM45

ctsedan wrote:Dean, can u post up side pictures of the trim plastic? N how u did the tilt steering button? Thanx
Trim is not done yet--still trimming, plastic welding, sanding. The tilt/telescope button is now on the bottom of the panel but I am going to see if I can move it elsewhere. It works fine but I have to wait for the steering wheel to move up when I get out or sometimes my leg bumps the switch. When I do bump the switch the auto return does not work the next time I get in so I have to hit the seat memory button. Not a problem but an annoyance.

DeanM45

A few updates:
Still working on the trim but after messing around with it I was able to put the tilt button back on the left side--just farther forward. Works fine and cut put the wheel all the way up/down/in/out with no interference. Right side is almost done--built a "bubble" to house the switch and it worked out well (heat some plastic and stretch it out). Tedious but it gives better contours. Will work on the left side later. Ultimately when the initial trim is done I will sand down and resin dip, texturize and ultimately paint. Funny thing is I don't much mind how it looks---been having so much fun driving with the paddles. I did this mod just "to do it" and did not think I would really use them that much. Now, as soon as in drive, click both paddles and let the fun begin! LOL.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”