So..Importing and all....

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
frozen_chris
Car: local music, cars, movies, computers/graphics/web

So I've been thinking importing an R33 would be pretty sick. Found this web site http://freespace.virgin.net/jo....html the site talks about the basics of getting ahold of a Skyline. Anyone know much about importing a skyline? I mean, I've been looking at R33's on different Japanese car exporters(mostly located in Tokyo) online, and have found some damn cheap Skyline's(found an R33 with only 60k km for 10400USD). Basically, is that site right about the general stuff with importing a skyline? and also where can I find more in depth information? anyone on here imported a skyline? well, thanks for any help ya'll can give.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

My opinion is that the site is spot on. You need info from customs, DOT, EPA.

According to the site, your $10400USD skyline sent to GK Automotive for DOT and EPA compliance brings your total to $16,400. Next, importation duty: 2.5% of $16400= $410. New total: $16810.The site figures $2000 for shipping and insurance.New total: $18810.The site then figures $1250 for "eventualities" aka unknown expensesNew total: $20060.Next is the whopper! customs bond equal to 100% of vehicle value $10400 added on, bringing your total to: $30460DOT conformance bond equal to 150% vehicle value($10400)=15600 added on to your original dollar amount needed to get your car here legally and in compliance with the three agencies.New total: $35660.USD

Yes, they are correct about the two bonds, which in your case would total $26000USD are returnable upon verification of vehicle compliance.

So, to get your car street legal in the U.S. you need $35660 sitting in your bank account right now.

SmithSR

OR, you could take a stroll down to MotoRex. You've got to keep in mind that if you've already got the cash to do it legally on your own, you could save yourself an awfully lot of time and energy and go get a similar model sitting down at MotoRex. Already legal. Same dollar amount, roughly, and you can drive it home.

You never mentioned whether the $10400 Skyline is a GT-R, but based on the USD value, I'd say it's not. Just my opinion. For crying out loud on the MotoRex website they've got a blue R32 GT-R for $34000. In stock!!

frozen_chris

sweet. yah, I've been working the numbers on a couple others, newer R33's, and I think its a pretty feasible thing. Helluva lot cheaper than MotoRex ever is! Unfortunately I don't have the bank yet, but since I'm doing some web design this summer so I'll be makin a good 20k over the summer, maybe more. I figure I'll wait a year or maybe two to import one, but my lord, its exciting even thinking about havin an R33 Skyline!

SmithSR

I respectfully disagree about MotoRex. You can place an order today for a turn-key street legal '95 R33 GT-S for $34000. Probably the same model(GT-S) as you're looking at for $10400.

frozen_chris

yeah, the one that was 10400 was a GTS type M or whatever the lettering was for that model. I did find some GT-R R33s that were like 15ish I believe, and I'm sure I could find some for less than that even likely. Most of the ones I was finding had around 50-65k miles on them too, so its not like they were driven tons either.

frozen_chris

I'm in no way ripping on MotoRex, I'm just saying in the end you have the same car, but an extra 13 or so grand left over(after the bond money is returned). MotoRex is definately the easier way to go, and would be much less stressful and all, but definately is not the cheaper way. The biggest reason I can see to go through them is it would be a bit more safe way to purchase a Skyline, as in there'd be a much smaller chance of getting burned on a deal and getting one with a turbo about ready to fall appart or something ****ty like that, though even then one could likely rebuild the engine on one you import yourself and still come out a little ahead...

lessthanjakejohn

you might want to see what Daunttless has to say, I'm not sure how its going for him, but I think he has a Skyline coming though to the states

Sami

The good thing about going through Motorex is that the car will be street legal, in the other case it will not be. If you want to argue about that, first show proof that it has been done.

frozen_chris

you're right, I don't know if doing it not through MotoRex or another such company is possible, but that's what I'm tryin to figure out bud. All I have to go off of so far is what these posts say, what a guy at J's Garage in Japan has been emailing to me(which confirms all of what the link i first posted says cause J's Garage has worked with a lot of people importing them), and what that site i found said. if you have any information on whether this is feasible or not, let me know, i'd appreciate it.

Sami

frozen_chris wrote:you're right, I don't know if doing it not through MotoRex or another such company is possible
In the end all street legal Skylines have to go through Motorex so you'll have to pay their fees, $16k for an R32 and $25k for anything younger than a '96 (ODBII). There is a lot of discussion about this in freshalloy.com, you might want to check it out.

frozen_chris

I don't know about MotoRex being the only place able to make them street legal. According to that site on importing I found GK Automotive can do the tuning and other work required to make them street legal as well, which makes me wonder if there aren't other shops as well. I'll check out that site, thanks man.

frozen_chris

just curious but where on freshalloys.com's forum is the discussion on importing skylines? took a quick look an didn't see it. maybe i jus didn't look hard enough, but yeah. whats the title of the post?

Sami

frozen_chris wrote:just curious but where on freshalloys.com's forum is the discussion on importing skylines? took a quick look an didn't see it. maybe i jus didn't look hard enough, but yeah. whats the title of the post?
Other companies can do the EPA stuff but in the end it still needs to go through Motorex for crash test approval. So it doesn't make sense to have someone else do the EPA when you still have to pay the Motorex fee.

The info is in FreshAlloy, you just need to dig into the older stuff.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

What if I wanted to import a Skyline myself and not fool with Registered Importers and use it as a race car only for my business? DOT and EPA wouldn't have any reason to keep me from getting the car if I had no intention of driving it on the street or intended to part the car out.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

cnichols wrote:What if I wanted to import a Skyline myself and not fool with Registered Importers and use it as a race car only for my business? DOT and EPA wouldn't have any reason to keep me from getting the car if I had no intention of driving it on the street or intended to part the car out.

If you want to import it as a racecar, then you have to claim so at port. Also, you have to file paperwork showing that you plan on racing it and at what races, in what sanction. Or, for a show car, what shows it will be attending.

cnichols

Yeah, I just did a little digging and found that even if they give you permission to import for racing purposes, you have to re-file for permission after a year. So...not worth it.

Can't seem to find a way around it!!! ARGGHHHHH!!!!

God Damn government can suck a big fat d***.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

cnichols wrote:Yeah, I just did a little digging and found that even if they give you permission to import for racing purposes, you have to re-file for permission after a year. So...not worth it.

Can't seem to find a way around it!!! ARGGHHHHH!!!!

God Damn government can suck a big fat d***.

That's because there *is* no way around it. If there was, then somebody would have done it by now.

cnichols

What about a rolling chassis?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

cnichols wrote:What about a rolling chassis?

If it has no engine in it, then sure...it's just as easy as importing an engine by itself.

cnichols

Then there IS a way around it. :D Just have to find someone willing to do it for you. Which may prove costly and damn near impossible.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”