So I started making music again! (After getting my old name(s) yeeted)

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
kornmanz
Car: 89 240sx Hatch SR Powa'd

Hey all,

Man I miss the old shenanigans we used to have in here and I was posting mixes (that were booty! lol). Cars, DJ'ing, it was a good time on the old nicoclub. Easily wasted hours on here in school back then, great times. My S13 was always breaking so I was on here almost all the time :chuckle: If these forums didn't exist back then I don't think I would have ever fixed the car.

Social media wave came and it was like nobody was into forums anymore. #sadface

Anyway, last night an old NICOCLUB member reached out to me on my Instagram for music (@illegalnoize) and was pumped that I still made music/mixes after this long. He was telling me how he used to jam the mixes I posted here back in 08-2010 and still does today. A tear shed from my eye (lol) when I realized how long it's been since I posted anything new here or interacted here. It's been so long now I've had to forcibly change my music name 3 times

Long story short but lilbro or kornmanz wasn't cutting it so I came up with DJZ (my name is Z ez right). Made a soundcloud around 2009 with /djz and put music out. I think some of us were jamming that old soundcloud. However, after I started to get hundreds of thousands of streams I also started getting love letters from Sony, UMG, & WMG to remove the illegal remixes I was making. They were unauthorized but I was a bit young & naïve and told them to pound dirt. Another company came around 2012 and trademarked the djz name brand. :wtf2:

That trademark information registered a lot of stuff but namely; electronic dj music, and an app. They were making a DJ app an used "djz" as a plural "dj's". They also made djz.com and branded it everywhere. Deadmau5, Skrillex, Steve Aoki all of the big names were on it. I reached out to them about featuring "DJZ" on djz.com and they basically said pound dirt right back lol. They offered to buy my soundcloud account/url (since I had soundcloud.com/djz since 07) but I was upset and didn't even want to negotiate.

Yeah so I was deleted from soundcloud on copyright infringement shortly after. After this company used the domain to launch their app. They turned me n burned me. After I was deleted they changed their name to crossfader. But the company profiles still have [email protected] as their contact email and the domain djz.com is not even being used but being sold/ransomed for 100k :bowrofl:

THEY MADE 5 MILLION IN JUST INITIAL FUNDING! https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/crossfader :inout:

I got wrekt real proper lol. I quit music in 2013 because of this and the local scene shunned me. Everyone in the New Mexico Dj scene hated me for being successful. If you've ever been to Albuquerque you know how it is here lol. In 2015 I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. After battling and beating the cancer I started to fiddle with music again. Couldn't help the itch! In 2019 I launched a new music brand, trademarked, and locked it up tight. Illegal NoiZe was born. Felt like the name was proper since I was taken down for "illegal remixes" lol. Nowadays people make bootleg remixes left and right and get nowhere near the same treatment. After content ID came into play labels can just claim streams and don't outright ban people for making bootlegs. I got more than banned though that was malicious AF what that company did!

Anyway the new music is better than the old music because it's original now. I still do some remixes here and there for competitions but no more bootleg remixes. I do also still mix on the 1's and 2's and you can find videos on my YouTube. Thanks to my man who messaged me last night saying he's been a fan since nicoclub 08 I really feel like it was worth sticking with it and continuing music. Sorry for the long post but maaaaaaan it's been an interesting time. Nicoclub was the start, the birth of my online DJ persona. This community was the original listening party. Djforums.com used to roast the hell out of my mixes (hundred page threads of roast). But nicoclub, nah you guys had my back.
:cheers:

www.illegalnoize.com for all teh new linksssss

(also if you have any old music/mix files of mine pls DM me them. I lost literally all the old DJZ music when my NAS went down in 2017)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Welcome back!! :yesnod

kornmanz

I'm back from the dead!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

For some inspiration you can make vids combining your music with excerpts form some hot TV shows.

Here is an example I love of a fan cut of Doja Cat's "Get into it" (using "Euphoria" footage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weyliSCDgXk

kornmanz

That's pretty dope. Even has millions of streams and not taken down I'm surprised. I've been sketched out of using anything that I'm not explicitly allowed to use. Last time I used any bits of anybody's music, acapellas, movie clips, quotes, etc. I got served DMCA's left and right and deleted. This time around I'm just combining my music with stock footage and using premiere/after effects to make it interesting and animate things.

The most I'll dip my toe into is posting remix competition entries I've done. These still get immediately tagged in content id as not mine lol.

Like this remix I did of Tiesto's The Motto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2qreXYdGV0

Return to “General Chat”