So I remodeled the upstairs... If anyone still uses 56k, KYS...

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Dattebayo wrote:Sooooo...

What else did you do besides flooring and moving stuff around?
Painting, light fixtures, vanity, sink, faucets, added two new electrical circuts so I can use a lot of power and not trip a breaker, rerouted the cable wiring, added two motion detectors to the security system, and will be building a cd rack/shelf this afternoon.

Other than that, not much.

Beancooker

And no, I didn't tear out a wall yet. So if you don't like the word "remodeling" pick one that suits you. DILLIGAF? There will be a door to a balcony where the window is now, in another year or so, when the $$$ is saved again.

I wanted to turn the media room into a small office, and make a big walk in closet out of half of it. Tear out the closet in the master bedroom so it would be bigger and add a door to the walk in closet. Wife crushed that idea, because it would be a lot harder to sell it in the future if I did what I want.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Beancooker wrote:Painting, light fixtures, vanity, sink, faucets, added two new electrical circuts so I can use a lot of power and not trip a breaker, rerouted the cable wiring, added two motion detectors to the security system, and will be building a cd rack/shelf this afternoon.

Other than that, not much.
OIC What size did you use in the home run to the panel? What breaker?
Beancooker wrote:And no, I didn't tear out a wall yet. So if you don't like the word "remodeling" pick one that suits you. DILLIGAF? There will be a door to a balcony where the window is now, in another year or so, when the $$$ is saved again.
Easy, chief. I was just bustin your beans.
Beancooker wrote:I wanted to turn the media room into a small office, and make a big walk in closet out of half of it. Tear out the closet in the master bedroom so it would be bigger and add a door to the walk in closet. Wife crushed that idea, because it would be a lot harder to sell it in the future if I did what I want.
You could still do that and then remove it when it's time to sell. It's work, yeah, but I bet the wife didn't think about that, did she?

Beancooker

12-2 with a 30 amp.

Cool. Thought you were being a d!ck. Didn't know you were being sarcastic.

I explained that we could redo it, but the cost to redo what I was planning on doing wouldn't be cheap. Meh, either way it's all okay.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

Good job on the remodeling! I like what you have going for it. We place some hardwood in our living room and bedrooms a while back. It's so much better and easier to clean than carpet.

I would probably ditch the doors and get something like these. They're made by Jeld Wen. You can get the doors at homedepot like $40-50 bucks a piece. Maybe you could redo the trim a different color, probably white? I'm a big fan of minimalist design for some reason. Just my two cents.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/interi...id=23

Hampton bay Restoration Brozne Finish 5 Light Chandelier....for the bedroom?

Anyway good stuff going...

jdansmith
Car: 2008 Sentra 2.0S, 91 Sentra 1.6DHOC, 89 Hardbody Z24

I have the miter box but no table saw, think the circular saw will splinter the wood?

Dattebayo

Beancooker wrote:12-2 with a 30 amp.
With ground? Or was it BX metal shielded stuff like they use in commercial?

Sounds like you know what you are doing so far, so it's all good. We don't wanna see your house burn down...
Beancooker wrote:Cool. Thought you were being a d!ck. Didn't know you were being sarcastic.

I explained that we could redo it, but the cost to redo what I was planning on doing wouldn't be cheap. Meh, either way it's all okay.
It's okay. I really am a d!ck. It's one of my more endearing traits.

I would love a walk-in closet. I've had so many fun times in walk-in closets.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Nice job Bean!

I'm lovin the floors. And I bet you're just as happy as I was when I changed my bathroom light fixture. Big ugly bulbs ftl.

Props, looks nice!

Dattebayo

I love running electrical wires in homes. Sometimes you find some really interesting things in the walls left by the construction workers or whoever worked on it last...

I once talked to a guy while I was working on the National Cathedral in DC who said he found a whole mason's toolbox inside one of the gargoyles up there. It was full of tools dating back to the 40's and stuff. He gave me an old dead-blow hammer from it. Best tool I've ever owned.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Nice work, Bean. Came out great. Gotta say the froggie on the bedpost is a cute touch, but I don't want to ask what you do with it.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

looks good boss.

did you just use contact cement to join the carpet to the wood?

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Beancooker wrote:
I did EVERYTHING myself... It was the hardest vacation I have ever taken...
You did a fantastic job Noah. That's a lot of work to accomplish in a week.

Now go back to work so you can take a vacation!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Looks great man! Good work!

Beancooker

Mile High Versa wrote:I would probably ditch the doors and get something like these. They're made by Jeld Wen.
I actually want a wood door with a textured glass center. I can't find a pic right now.
Dattebayo wrote:
With ground? Or was it BX metal shielded stuff like they use in commercial?
Yep, 12-2 with ground. Can you even get it without?
Mr1der wrote:looks good boss.

did you just use contact cement to join the carpet to the wood?
Tack strip, T-50 staples since there wasn't enough carpet on that one step to stretch, and burned the underedge with a torch to keep it from unravelling. One hell of a straight cut made it line up well.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

What kind of wood flooring is it?Tongue and Groove laminate stuff... or real wood?How much?Where do I get it? I'm doing my basement this summer and would choose exactly that wood design.

I LOVE IT!

Beancooker

Armstrong/Bruce is the manufacturer. Park Avenue is the line and the color is "Fruitwood".

http://www.bruce.com/resflram/...344.0

It's tongue and groove locking laminate.

I got a great deal since I know the guy who manages the local flooring shop. I paid $3.05 sq/ft and that included pad. They also didn't charge me tax.

dy3versity
Car: SC300

Wow, that looks awesome! You did a fine job!

Otto.

Great job!

RockoS13

Nice job, I like the vanity top!

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

dude that looks great, love the flooring!!! (sorry didn't notice thread till now)

PoorManQ45

Very nice job.

What do you think about the sound though.

I helped someone convert their upstairs from carpet to wood and it is really loud both in the rooms, and downstairs

Return to “Around the House”