So...How Reliable Has you EX35/37 Been? Debatting what to do

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Hi

I have a 2010 EX35 with 84,000KM (about 52,000 miles. I am debating selling it because of long term reliability concerns. I love the way it drives and its refinement but my recent fuel pump problem got me thinking about its long term reliability. I am meticulous about maintenance and maintenance is not an issue for me. I don't have an extended warranty and thus I want to hear about owners who have 2008s 2009s, 2010s or later or EX with more mileage. What have you had problems with? What should we be concerned about?

My 4-year warranty is done with - since last November, and I just had to change the fuel pump a second time (out of warranty now - $1,010.00 CDN :mad: ). I think my battery needs to be changed soon as well.

I know about / contribute to True Delta, and it is an useful site, but I want to know about the specific parts that people had problems with. What are the typical problems you ran across with your EX?

I had the following problems in the last 4.5 years of ownership:
Driver side seat had to be changed under warranty because it moved (2011 - 6,000KM)
Driver side mirror changed at 12,000km under warranty because it was distorting image (2011 - 12,000KM)
Passenger side mirror actuator (2014) had to be changed under warranty as it was making noise when moving (60,000 km)
Rear brake pads changed at 63,000 (June 2014) (done by self- not under warranty)
Fuel pump change in Feb 2014 because of problem with gauge **under warranty (63,000km)
Front disk and pads changes in June 2014 (70,000km)
Fuel pump change again in March 2015 - engine was cranking but no start **not under warranty ! (84,000km)

I know of the steering wheel electric motor problem (never happen to me, but I do not use it much)

What are the problems you have had, or any general issues/parts we should be concerned about? For instance, the major ticket items I am concerned about are:
1) Transmission
2) Alternator
3) Radiator
4) ECU - Computer
5) ACs?
6) Transfer case ?
7) Engine (oil consumption, timing chain issues, etc)
8) Electrical,
9) ABS, VSA, etc.
10) Etc?

Thanks!
Icecube

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

- 2008 fuel pumps changed 2x (TSB)
- Steering Rack vibrates when turning.
- Steering Rack replaced again (loss of power assist)
- AT LCD display returns to D mode even if I use DS or M mode for the transmission. Replaced Switch in in the AT.

-Passenger Vanity mirrror broke.
-Cables and hinges for the Hood. (my fault sonce I always open the hood when I park in the garage. I do not do this anymore.
-Front brakes (TSB ) manuf. Defect on brake shield that causes less air flow and overheats or wear of brakes prematurely.

- My Driver side door lock (outside) does not work when blade key is use.

Al were fixed under warranty.
I might have to trade it in next year after warranty is gone. (sept. 2016)

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Icecube,

My '08 EX is just short of 85K miles. My wife and I purchased it 3 1/2 years ago with around 25K miles on it. I'd say that it's trips consist of a mix of county backroads, highway, stop and go, and some short jaunts in town. Since it's my wife's daily driver and the nicer vehicle in our fleet, it gets the garage space.

I don't know what issues the prior owner had, but here are the ones I have come across during ownership so far.
-Cover for sunvisor mirror broken at time of purchase; replaced under warranty.
-Moonroof leaked a bit of water when in the car wash; adjusted by dealer tech, covered under warranty.
-TPMS sensor failures (2x out of warranty, not sure of age/mileage); First one cost almost $300 at the dealer, second one was fixed by the dealer for free as a goodwill gesture.
-Steering column recall; fixed a few weeks back.
-Passenger side mirror makes a grinding noise when being adjusted; I just turned off the auto tilt down feature, and I hardly drive the car anyway. One of these days I might just pick it apart to fix it, as I believe there's some plastic in there that needs to be shaved down.
-Small amount of vibration during hard braking (after 75K miles); I haven't gotten to it, but I plan on changing the front pads and rotors sometime soon. The pads are just about due anyway.

Looking at your list, it looks to me like your car has had its share of issues, but has managed to avoid some of the other common ones. Also, I would count batteries and brake pads as maintenance items. Brake rotors may or may not fall under that category, but I think brake vibration is a common issue that plagues many cars, not just this one. Mine didn't start until later on in the car's life, and I feel like over tightened lug nuts from the dealership were a contributor to the cause.

As for the major ticket items, here are my comments:
1) Transmission - No issues, none expected as long as I keep up with fluid changes. Just hoping that I don't get a bum sensor sometime in the future.
2) Alternator - No issues. I'd be content if it lasts past 120K, super happy if it lasts much longer.
3) Radiator - No issues here, but there were a few owners here who had a leaking radiator. My biggest concern here is corrosion, as the roads we drive on are well salted in the winter.
4) ECU - Computer - No issues, none expected.
5) ACs? - No issues. My wife runs the A/C frequently, so the system is well lubed and leak free.
6) Transfer case ? - No issues, none expected. My transfer case fluid looked very clean when I changed it
7) Engine (oil consumption, timing chain issues, etc) - No issues. I wouldn't worry as long as you stay on top of your oil change intervals and use a quality oil.
8) Electrical, - None. I'm not driving a Land Rover.
9) ABS, VSA, etc. - None
10) Etc? - I just worry about all the accessories that are loaded in the car. They can cause problems that may not affect the car's drivability, but could be incredibly annoying and expensive to fix (power windows, parking sensors, around view monitor cameras. etc).

Otherwise, I'm confident that my EX could get to 10 years old 140K without an issue with the drivetrain or major subsystem. At that point, some items may need to be addressed (i.e. suspension, drive axles, exhaust, O2 sensors etc), but that's not unexpected for a car at that age. After 100K I think the only thing my dealership would handle would be oil changes. If I encounter any major repairs at that time I'll probably head over to an independent mechanic.

If you're looking for more information on the big ticket items, we do know that the EX shares a lot of the same components as the G35/37. The owners of those models could provide a few more experiences and data points if you're willing to look around.

And if your worries for long term reliability outgrow your love of the EX's driving experience, then maybe you should look at what Lexus has to offer. My wife is starting to warm up to them and may look into getting one when we replace our other car.

CDNicecube

Very interesting. May I have the TBS for the fuel pump. At $1,000 a pop (CND) this is an expensive item and if I can get some $ back from Infiniti so any leverage would be great,

I did not have any issues with the steering Rack or loss of power assist.
I forgot about the dreaded radiator leak - I'll keep an eye on this one as well.

I love the car, but am worried about long term reliability beyond what is average for like vehicule. Would you expect/say that it is more (or less) reliable than an equivalent year BMW (series 3) or Audi A4?

I like Lexus too, but don't like any models yet (except the RC and IF 350 - both too expensive). I like what I am seeing from the new Q30 however.

Keep them coming!

Icecube

PS: I also count batteries and brake pads as maintenance items that are normal for all vehicule.

webster

Hi...I noticed that you are in Kanata, On. I am in Ancaster, On,
I have 2010 EX 51,000 km and 2013 EX37 47,000 km, both since new and ZERO problems with both. 2010 had front rotors turned at 40,000 km done by dealer recommendation.
Best vehicles I ever owned ( over 50 yrs of driving ) ! Will never buy a BMW again...
Dealer tells me that they have one 2010 with 437,000 km !!!
Thinking of replacing the 2013 with a 2015 QX since it is going to be the last year before they mess it up.
Planning to keep the 2010 since it has the 3.5 l engine and runs fine on reg gas and I feel it is better built.
However, will wait to see the 2016 QX50 and 2016 QX30 before deciding.
Good Luck,
Webster

JohnD
Car: EX35, Murano

Hi, Webster. I am in Ancaster too. I have a 2011 Ex35 with 110,000 trouble-free kilometres.

webster

JohnD wrote:Hi, Webster. I am in Ancaster too. I have a 2011 Ex35 with 110,000 trouble-free kilometres.
Hi John,

What color and what tires do you have ?

Webster

Leadfootgirl
Car: Infiniti EX Journey AWD 2008

My 2008 is pushing 50,500 miles so slightly under your mileage. I just had the entire rear suspension replaced that was done under Extended Warranty (EW) since the original manufacturer's warranty ran out 3 years ago. Had the fuel pump changed twice, once under original warranty, the second time under EW. Ticking sound from A/C condenser I believe, fixed under warranty. The dealership thought it was caused by the speedometer so they replaced that twice, again, under warranty. Driver's side vanity light kept burning out, replaced the entire vanity assembly twice under warranty. It is burned out again (seem to only last 1.5 years before burning out) so I don't even bother anymore. Trunk net plugs broke twice, had to get replacements but they're cheap so not a big deal.

Brakes aren't normally warrantied anyway so that's a cost that I bear. My car (from day 1) has always had issues with the vents occasionally smelling like stinky sweat. Had that sprayed and didn't fix the problem so I just live with it cuz it'll eventually go away once I crank the A/C up (fresh mode doesn't help). Of course, I also had the same stinky A/C issue with my Acura Integra and Lexus IS300 so it's not something unique to Infiniti. Outstanding issue that I'm not sure the EW took care of recently was the dying start and low mileage problem. Eh, I got 3 more years before my EW runs out, so I'll probably need to use it again in another year or so to fix something else major before it expires. I have driven 4 Japanese cars so far - Toyota, Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti - never had a car that did not have some major problem so I guess I just don't have great luck with cars :rolleyes:

CDNicecube

Wow...leadfootgirl. Just wow.d

Do you drive like your handle implies?

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

85,000 Km's,

New brakes recently and a new windshield.

New tires and the odd oil change.

It's been a trouble free car.

The best car we've ever owned.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I think it has been more than reliable. Mine is an 08 that I bought in August 2011. This is what I have had taken care of since that time.

Under wty, I changed the rear hatch strut things that hold up the hatch.
resurfaced my rotors under wty due to a S/B
my mirror also creaked. (not a big deal in the scheme of things)... they fixed under wty. It came back and later went away on its own...
Recall for the steering shaft taken care of under 'extended' wty
Fuel pump replaced under wty (gas gauge didn't read accurately)

Radiator sprung a leak at around 65K or so... I replaced myself for under $200. That's they only thing on your list. Everything else has been like new.

dreamingat30fps
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey

I bought mine about 3 years ago with about 23k miles on it. Currently at like 60k miles. Not sure what previous owner might of had done but so far only thing I've had done are:

- Radiator leak which I ended up fixing myself also
- Steering shaft recall done free at dealer
- Dash is cracking along seems, dealer wanted over $1k to fix so I just live with it
- Needed tires pretty quickly because it had mismatched tires when I bought it and was starting to drive like crap
- Rear brakes just last week did them myself

Although the last 2 are just regular maintenance like oil changes and would apply to any vehicle.

TomT
Car: 2010 Blue Slate EX 35 Journey RWD with Bose/Navi package

My 2010 EX has been absolutely perfect. New tires and rear brakes is all it's needed. Reading latest Consumer Reports it sounds like Infinity's are not as reliable as they once were so I think I'll hang on to it. Besides, who wants a vehicle that starts with a Q anyhow?

JohnD
Car: EX35, Murano

Hi, Webster. I have the wine colour (see picture at left) with the brown interior. Still on snow tires right now - Michelins. Can't recall what brand the summer tires are. Will find out if it ever warms up here!

AWGD8

JohnD wrote:Hi, Webster. I have the wine colour (see picture at left) with the brown interior. Still on <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/performance/winter" rel="nofollow"><span>snow </span><span>tires</span></a> right now - Michelins. Can't recall what brand the summer <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires" rel="nofollow"><span>tires</span></a> are. Will find out if it ever warms up here!
Might be a Michelin Latitude HP like the one I have on my 2008 EX35.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

Wife and I got ours new in 2010. Honestly been the best car we ever owned. Probably the biggest issue I had with it is 2 LED's dying int he instrument cluster. I fixed myself.

I knock on wood when i say this, but its been the most reliable car we've owned. Only real issues we had were the rotors warping, which was an easy repair. Then around 70k mi, the timing cover developed a leak on the engine block, replaced under warranty. They did the water pump and coolant when they were in there. Other than that, no issues at all!

Hope it stays that way *knock on wood*

AWGD8

sev wrote:Wife and I got ours new in 2010. Honestly been the best car we ever owned. Probably the biggest issue I had with it is 2 LED's dying int he instrument cluster. I fixed myself.

I knock on wood when i say this, but its been the most reliable car we've owned. Only real issues we had were the rotors warping, which was an easy repair. Then around 70k mi, the timing cover developed a leak on the engine block, replaced under warranty. They did the water pump and coolant when they were in there. Other than that, no issues at all!

Regarding timing cover leak. I believe my 2008 EX35 has very minimal oil weeping on the rear of the top passenger side timing cover. It does not look like it is coming from the camshaft cover. Oil weeping not dripping close to the PCV valve , but not at the PCV connection. I will bring it to the dealer this weekend. I will post picture tonight.

AWGD8

Here is the area when you lean on the passenger side fender with hood open. Right side is front of engine. Oil is just wet, but not dripping.

Should I bring it soon for the service to check since car is still under warranty? Car is at 75,600 miles now and warranty ends on Sept. 2016.

AWGD8

Car needs to be fixed for $2,800.

CDNicecube

Wow! Not confidence inspiring....

AWGD8

CDNicecube wrote:Wow! Not confidence inspiring....
Check my new thread regarding the issue. It is been happening way back then....

I guess most of us do not even bother to check it bec. It is under the engine cover and the leak does not drip, but kinda of weep...

GarnetRedQX50
Car: 2014 Infiniti QX50 Journey AWD
2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

I've had my QX50 for a year now. No major complaints. Though I didn't like the OEM tires, so I changed them out with some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s, and got rid of most of the tramlining issue inherent with 19" wheels. And the ride comfort is much much better, while maintaining the great handling aspects. Other than that - awesome rig. No regrets.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

AWGD8 wrote:Car needs to be fixed for $2,800.
I would live with it and clean it before I would drop $2800 on it!

AWGD8

XIS wrote:
AWGD8 wrote:Car needs to be fixed for $2,800.
I would live with it and clean it before I would drop $2800 on it!

The car is under warranty so I had to let them fix it.
I have a $50 deductible on the extended warranty. So I asked the guy if he could slip the water pump as part of the warranty issue so it can be replaced since they are going in there anyway. He said I can pay for parts and labor should be free since it is the same area they are working on for the warranty work.

New water pump cost $106 so I said replace it. I did ask for the old parts back since it is still working. i will keep it as a backup. I think they forgot to ask me to pay for deductible of $50 so I never really bother to ask. Basically, I paid for brand new water pump for $56.

The issue with the timing chain cover leaks that I read only is the oil pressure drop on some VQ engine. It will take just a short time before this happens to my car.

Darn! I miss the Q50s AWD Hybrid loaner they gave me. That car is a blast to drive! 4.7 secs 0-60 and 13.5 secs 1/4. It does not even feel like the car is trying hard like the G37. That hybrid feels like a V8 from dead stop and highway passing power.
It cost around $52K which is way out of my budget.

AWGD8

So far my extended warranty paid for...

1) Passenger visor replacement.
2) Hood cable and hinges replacement.
3) Driver side key lock mechanism replaced.
4) Timing chain cover leaks.

I think it is worth paying $1,600 extra extended warranty.

rikkybobby
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

sev wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 am
Wife and I got ours new in 2010. Honestly been the best car we ever owned. Probably the biggest issue I had with it is 2 LED's dying int he instrument cluster. I fixed myself.

Hey Sev... I have the same issue with my 2010 EX35 re: a couple of the LED's flickering/out - not the whole panel, just a few LED's. I am looking to get it fixed. Dealer wants $2K - absurd. Can you point me to proper instructions for the cluster removal? I plan to get the cluster removed and just send it off to an electronics place that will fix it.

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

to update mine from a little more than 3 yrs ago.... It has continued to be a fantastic and reliable car.
I replaced the driver's side front shock/strut a couple/few years ago.
I need new hydraulic hood struts (haven't don't it yet)
Changed the front rotors earlier this year (97K miles)

that's it. My wife now drives it for her daily (I am driving the QX30S) and I need to pay more attention to my EX. She does not have the OCD keep-your-interior-clean gene.... (I still keep the outside nice and clean)

Bocatrip

I'm basically a newbie with a 2017 QX50 purchased new on Jan 2017 with currently 14,000 miles on the clock. Naturally, there should be no problems with the car when it's this new, and yes it's been a great car as reliable as my girlfriend's 2006 G35 that she's had for almost 11 years until the ABS motor went and we sold it to get the QX50. The one nagging issue with the QX50 since new, is a slight engine knocking sound coming from the upper driver's side head when the car first starts in the morning but does go away once the car is completely warmed up. I've taken it to Infiniti and even Consumer Affairs but they dismissed it as characteristic to the VVEL engines which I know is BS. I have 4 1/2 years left on engine/drivetrain warranty so am going to live with it. Other than that, the car is a tight, fast, reliable machine. Hope to have it for years to come.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

XIS wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:35 am

that's it. My wife now drives it for her daily (I am driving the QX30S) and I need to pay more attention to my EX. She does not have the OCD keep-your-interior-clean gene.... (I still keep the outside nice and clean)
I know what you mean, the interior in both my cars compared to my wifes' are very different.

My 08 has been solid, only had it for a little more than a year and about 14k kms. That said, lately I have been contemplating selling it and the 350ZR to go back to 1 vehicle. the 2011+ X3 35i has caught my eye pretty good, plus the cash I'd put in my pocket.

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

i don't know if this counts as "reliable" or just "driven"... i'm approaching 240K km... and it is still is a pleasure to drive.
routine maintenance aside... i've needed
fuel sensor (2013), left front control arm (2014), sway bars (2015), vent valve (2016), new sunroof (2017, insurance covered), wheel bearings (2017), steering rack and pump (2018), driver door actuator (2018).
i'm at the point now where i've asked myself how much of a repair is not worth pursuing... or maybe i should've made that call 1-2-3 years ago...
though it is like a member of the family now... i'm gunnin' for Al Bundy's million mile Dodge...

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”